Very stressed & can't think straight!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by ambernruby, Jun 18, 2009.

1. ambernruby

ambernruby Well-Known Member

Soryr but i need your insight here please before i lose my mind. Having a very bad day, started at 530am when Amber woke us all up, both girls are off there food..both formula and solids! They took a 1hr 40 min nap at 7.30 and a 2nd nap 1hr nap at 11.30, they have just gone up for there third and usually final nap at 2pm but one of them is still fighting it as i type. I am all out of sink with our routine because of the early start, i am not sure that my little girl will take a nap, she has till 3.30pm to take one. Normally i do bedtime routine as soon as they are up from there final nap which will be no earlier than 3.30pm today, say if it is that time there bedtime will fall at 5pm! Which is 1 hr to 1hr1/2 earlier than normal. I really am stuck as to what to do!! I don't want to encourage a 5.30 start to the day by sending them to bed at 5pm but then i don't really want to start them back on 4 naps a day or send them up majorly overtirred by keeping them up later. What would everyone else do? I know that i will be up in the night with them tonight given that they have eaten next to nothing all day and just to top it all of Df has got to work tonight so i will be on my lonesum. Oh the joys!

2. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mummy2ambernruby @ Jun 18 2009, 09:31 AM) [snapback]1359195[/snapback]
    Soryr but i need your insight here please before i lose my mind. Having a very bad day, started at 530am when Amber woke us all up, both girls are off there food..both formula and solids! They took a 1hr 40 min nap at 7.30 and a 2nd nap 1hr nap at 11.30, they have just gone up for there third and usually final nap at 2pm but one of them is still fighting it as i type. I am all out of sink with our routine because of the early start, i am not sure that my little girl will take a nap, she has till 3.30pm to take one. Normally i do bedtime routine as soon as they are up from there final nap which will be no earlier than 3.30pm today, say if it is that time there bedtime will fall at 5pm! Which is 1 hr to 1hr1/2 earlier than normal. I really am stuck as to what to do!! I don't want to encourage a 5.30 start to the day by sending them to bed at 5pm but then i don't really want to start them back on 4 naps a day or send them up majorly overtirred by keeping them up later. What would everyone else do? I know that i will be up in the night with them tonight given that they have eaten next to nothing all day and just to top it all of Df has got to work tonight so i will be on my lonesum. Oh the joys!

Putting them down early will not necessarily cause them to wake up early. I usually find the opposite to be true - putting them down earlier means they sleep longer. Something about their sleep cycles or something... Just use your best judgment and put them down based on their tiredness cues.

3. irisflower

irisflower Well-Known Member

Some days everything runs smooth. We are all on the same schedule. Sounds like you have a day that's not so smooth.
    I would start their night routine a little later... 5:45? 6pm? but not by much. And tomorrow is a new clean slate day.
    When my guys want to take lots of extended AM naps we are usually just about to have a new milestone.

Good luck tonight... maybe fix yourself a cup of tea after they are down for the count?

4. ambernruby

Thanx ladies, i think i will take you up on that cup of tea, maybe something stronger!!! It just seems like such a huge jump from there usual bedtime but then again they are waking up early anyway so not much to lose i will see what happens tommorow.

5. christie76

christie76 Well-Known Member

I would give them a quick catnap later on today to get them through til bedtime if they wake too early from their final nap. There were days that they were totally off their schedule and I just went with it and gave them an extra nap if they needed it and kept bedtime at the same time. Either way, remember this is just a phase. They will be back to their normal schedule very soon.

6. ambernruby

QUOTE(christie76 @ Jun 18 2009, 02:48 PM) [snapback]1359222[/snapback]
    I would give them a quick catnap later on today to get them through til bedtime if they wake too early from their final nap. There were days that they were totally off their schedule and I just went with it and gave them an extra nap if they needed it and kept bedtime at the same time. Either way, remember this is just a phase. They will be back to their normal schedule very soon.

Christie thanx! I need to instill "this is just a phase" into my head, it's easy to forget when your having a crazy day/week. I find it so hard to go with the flow, i'm sure it effects me worse than it does them lol
    Since this post it sounds like they have gone to sleep now, so hopefully things will fall back in sync, if not i will send them up early as they really fight off catnaps unless were out and about. Thanx for your help.

7. Halseyse

Halseyse Well-Known Member

I agree with the little catnap idea as well. I also do that when mine get way off schedule. Let them sleep for about 15-30 mins [instead of the hr or so they normally would]. Though usually we'd call them 'attitude' naps :lol: Sometimes this still happens. Just have to go with the flow. Everything will be fine - maybe teething is in their near future as well ;)

8. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ha! I love that "attitude" naps:) I say just go with the flow today....we've sent both babies to bed before with only 1-2oz in their bellies expecting to wake up later and feed them and they still STTN....they just like to stress us out;)

9. ambernruby

Thanx ladies just having one of those days. It's 630 here and it sounds like my girls have finally gone to sleep! They ended up havig to be woken so bedtime wouldn't be too late, just typical! I did put them down at 545 and one of them went straight to sleep and the other little madam has only just gone off so for her bedtime ended up being the same as everyday anyway after all that worry. Can't wait for this to get easier!