Very happy news!

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by jxnsmama, Mar 17, 2008.

1. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

On Friday, I got two letters from our school district. I knew what they were and opened them with shaking hands. Great news! BOTH Hayden and Brady got into the gifted program! :yahoo:

Ever since Jackson got into the program, and we fell in love with it, we have been concerned if one twin would get in and one wouldn't. If both hadn't, that would have been OK, but I was getting myself prepared to send one and not the other.

This school is the one shining star in our rotten school district. Last year, it was rated #6 in the state! It's such a huge relief to know that through 8th grade, they're all set in the same wonderful school.

Here's a shocker: DH and I felt sure that Brady would get in with no trouble, but were concerned about Hayden. Brady is more apt to answer questions and raise his hand in class, while Hayden shies back and is timid about sharing in class, and we were afraid he just wouldn't test well. Well, Hayden tested in the 90-99th percentile of the 250 kids who took the test for 1st grade! Brady was in the 70-79th percentile. Since the cutoff is 75%, we feel really lucky that both will be there.

Thanks to all of you for your good thoughts and wishes on their test day. That must have been what gave them the edge! ;)

2. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

Wooo hoooo! Congrats to your boys!

3. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Amy, that's great news. Congrats to both Hayden and Brady!!

4. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Congratulations!

Amy, don't be totally surprised, many kids, for whom school comes easy, don't bother with the directions, and answer by what they expect the answer to be. :)

5. jxnsmama

many kids, for whom school comes easy, don't bother with the directions, and answer by what they expect the answer to be.

Oh, that's entirely Jackson! More often than not, when he gets answers wrong on homework and tests, it's because he didn't read the directions. He knows the material, but he's so sloppy!

I forgot to add good news about Jackson: He met his goal of making the A&B honor roll this trimester. His first trimester, he had two Cs. He pulled them up to Bs and pulled another B up to an A. He was on cloud 9 last week when he got that report card!

6. Anna3

Anna3 Well-Known Member

Great news, Amy! Congratulations! :a_smil09:

7. twinstuff-old

twinstuff-old Well-Known Member

A hearty congrats to your boys!

Does that mean they'll be in the same classroom next year? That's the issue my wife and I are now facing with our twins. Our Brady was in G/T this year in 1st Grade while his brother was not. Colby was re-tested this year and also was identified as G/T (he shocked us by scoring in the 99th percentile on the math test--wonder if I should start having him balance our checkbook?) Anyway, their school next year will have just one 2nd grade classroom which is G/T (I think with about 5 to 6 kids identified as G/T and the rest "filler" who have tested close in the past). So it's our choice to determine whether we want them in the same room. We're leaning towards doing that, but is that something you'll be facing too?

8. jxnsmama

Does that mean they'll be in the same classroom next year?

No. Our district has one separate school that is all gifted, 1-8, and there are three classrooms for each grade. So they will still be separated. Even if there were only one 1st grade class, I'd still send them, as much as I like them being in different classrooms. We just feel really strongly about this school and wouldn't pass up the chance to send them there.

9. monik

monik Well-Known Member

WTG Brady and Hayden! :yahoo:

10. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

Amy, that is great!!! CONGRATS!!!! :a_smil09: :banana:

11. 4kids4Cat

4kids4Cat Well-Known Member

When I saw the title of this thread, I knew what is was!!! :good:

That's great news! Congrats to your boys. :clapping:

12. mich17

mich17 Well-Known Member

:yahoo: Great news!

13. BGTwins97

BGTwins97 Well-Known Member

Congratulations! And what a relief to be done thinking about it!

14. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

:banana: :Clap: :yahoo: :a_smil09:
    Awesome Amy!!

15. PumpkinPies

PumpkinPies Well-Known Member

Great news! Three cheers each for your three boys! :D

16. Ellen Barr

Ellen Barr Well-Known Member

That's awesome! Congratulations!

17. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

What great news!

18. avd1995

avd1995 Well-Known Member

WTG Boys! :clapping:

19. Amy R.

Amy R. Well-Known Member

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Congrats boys!

20. Jberman

Jberman Well-Known Member

That is great!! Congrats to everyone!!

21. JenJefLog

JenJefLog Well-Known Member

That's great news Amy! :a_smil09: I am in a similar situation right now with my girls. They've both been in what's called SAS (School for Advanced Studies) at our elementary school and have been in the same class for 4 years now. However, when tested in 2nd grade for gifted, only Caitlin qualified. The middle school where Logan goes has a large amount of kids applying for their SAS program, so they only take kids that have qualified gifted into their program. However, they also have a Magnet program that takes both regular and gifted students, so I've applied for both of them through that and will apply for the SAS, even though I know Sarah won't get in that way. A friend of mine is going to be PTA president next year and she asked the principal about my situation and he said that if one gets in, they'll find a spot for the other since "they don't split up families." I'm hoping that having Logan already there also will work in our favor. It is so stressful dealing with all this stuff, isn't it?

22. Katheryn

Katheryn Well-Known Member

:clapping: Wow! That's wonderful news, Amy!

23. jxnsmama

A friend of mine is going to be PTA president next year and she asked the principal about my situation and he said that if one gets in, they'll find a spot for the other since "they don't split up families." I'm hoping that having Logan already there also will work in our favor. It is so stressful dealing with all this stuff, isn't it?

It definitely is stressful. Because our district has so many troubles and very poor schools, it was extra important to me that they both made it.

You are lucky that your program considers siblings when allowing students in. Ours is based solely on test scores, so there was a very real possibility that they wouldn't all be there.