VBAC - getting nervous as the weeks tick by

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by runnergirl, Feb 4, 2009.

1. runnergirl

runnergirl Well-Known Member

I'm planning a VBAC this time around, after having a c/s with my twins due their position (both A and B were breech). My OB is great, we've talked about the risks/benefits, all the pertinent info and I've done a lot of reading about it. DH and my family are supportive as well. I starting to get nervous about all the little things that could go wrong, about ultimately needing another c/s, etc.

I know there are quite a few moms around here that have done a VBAC successfully. Any words of support? Anything I should know from someone that has done it? Anyone attempt but not succeed?

Thanks so much ladies! :)

2. hot2trottt4u

hot2trottt4u Well-Known Member

i just pm someone that would be perfect for you to talk to :)

3. ginagwen

ginagwen Well-Known Member

I vbac's with my 2nd. I have heard that inducement raises risks bc the pitocin makes contractions unnaturally strong, but if you have an epidural, the contractions might slow down/weaken to a point of ineffectiveness and the docs might start pushing to start pitocin. I was very concerned about those things and did it completely drug-free,( I don't say natural bc they broke my water). If you decide to go natural, remember that when the contractions get really strong in transition (dialiating from 7 to 10) there is alot of concentrated pain at the incision, but don't worry about it. I was not told that and started freaking out that I was having a rupture, but they finally calmed me down and then, when it was time to push, I didn't really feel that sharp incision pain anymore because I was concentrated on the pushing. Good luck and best wishes!!

4. littletwinmom

littletwinmom Well-Known Member

Hey Nicole,

I remember you from expecting twins, we were preggo at the same time, good to "see" you again, and congrats on the pregnancy! I too am planning a VBAC, as my section was due to breech position as well.

I haven't spent hours and hours researching the risk, rewards of VBACs, but I feel comfortable with my choice. If my CS was due to "failure to progress" or an emergency due to the baby's health (like decelling during labor, etc), then I might feel different, as those would obviously be concerns again. Like the other posts said, as long as you are not induced, and your CS was more than 19 months ago (I think that's what I read) you should be in good shape.

I'm assuming you are delivering in a hospital, so if something does go wrong, you will have medical professionals at your side to act quickly, just like with any delivery. And I think people forget about the risks involved with C-sections..it's not day surgery!

I can think of several moms here off the top of my head that have had recent successful VBACs, I'm sure they will respond.

I hope you get the delivery you want, and worst case, even if you have a c-section, it won't be "just because" and you still get a beautiful new baby!

5. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

QUOTE(runnergirl @ Feb 4 2009, 04:49 PM) [snapback]1176471[/snapback]
    I know there are quite a few moms around here that have done a VBAC successfully. Any words of support? Anything I should know from someone that has done it? Anyone attempt but not succeed?

Hi! I had a vbac with Evan.. my 10lber!! I knew that I was a prime canidate for a VBAC because the only reason I had my c-section was the positioning of my twin A (breech). I also had two horizontal incisions and I didn't tear with my c-section. There wasn't any going in to labor without progressing.
    I was getting worried towards the end because of the size of Evan. I knew he was going to be big and the doctors were really starting to be a bit cautious about a VBAC... almost as if they didn't want to do it. IF your doctor says you are in good shape for a VBAC ( sounds like it), I wouldn't worry too much.
    My VBAC was SOOOO good. I'd do that again in a heartbeat. I did have an epidural.. and did require a few stitches.
    If you have any questions, feel free to PM me! :D
    How exciting to be in your spot right now! :yahoo:

6. babies@2

babies@2 Well-Known Member

I had a vbac 6 months ago at home. Being induced, which can be done in different ways such as artificial rupture of membranes (breaking your water), cervical ripening agents, pitocin, etc... increases your risk of baby falling into distress, uterine rupture, etc... Hard cold inductions such as pitocin does work for many women but fails in many as well. Pitocin could put the baby in distress due to the unnatural contractions brought on by this drug, which can easily lead to a csection. I have lots of thoughts about vbacs and birth in general. For me, I wanted to avoid all types of interventions, unless absolutely medically necessary or a strong need for them, because I wanted to keep the risk of csection as minimal as possible. You can pm me with any questions.

7. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

I am one that attempted a VBAC/induction the second time around and only failed because baby girl's head was not positioned correctly (she was not facing posterior or anterior...her head was side ways) and she got stuck essentially.

I can share the details if you are interested. Just PM if you want to know my story. I didn't have any of the normal complications from the attempted VBAC (uterus held up beautifully) and I wouldn't have changed my decision to try the VBAC!

8. babies@2

babies@2 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(snoopytwins @ Feb 6 2009, 03:01 PM) [snapback]1178537[/snapback]
    I am one that attempted a VBAC/induction the second time around and only failed because baby girl's head was not positioned correctly (she was not facing posterior or anterior...her head was side ways) and she got stuck essentially.

I can share the details if you are interested. Just PM if you want to know my story. I didn't have any of the normal complications from the attempted VBAC (uterus held up beautifully) and I wouldn't have changed my decision to try the VBAC!

I agree position is so important! I'm happy to hear you wouldn't have changed anything. At least you know that your uterus remained nice and strong! I felt the same way about my twin's birth. I had one vaginally and one by csection- I wouldn't have changed it. I learned a lot from that birth.

As I mentioned before, position of baby is critical. My OB with the twin's birth broke my water when I was about 2 cm dilated. She was posterior and her head was tilted (asynclitic). I pushed for 45 minutes to get out a 5 lb 14 oz baby. The OB even used forceps. These interventions used in their birth saddens me because I was naive, even though I read so much on pregnancy, vaginal birth, etc... I understood that generally induction was not favored, forcep and vacuum use should be used when necessary.

I feel there is a lot of fear mongering done on the part of the OB. They often make you doubt your inherent ability to birth. You really can't do this by yourself, you need ME to help you go into labor and push the baby out. It's very self-centered in my opinion. I did have a great OB for the twins. He was a compassionate man, a veteran in the field, and very kind. But, he is like most OBs, they are there to help put you in labor and "pull" out your baby. THey are trained to look for pathologies and perform surgery. I'm on my soap box again about doctors, but I learned so much from my own personal experience and other women's as well. I applied the knowledge I gained through my twin's birth (such as NO ONE is touching my bag of waters), as these type of elements can contribute to a more difficult labor and birth. Ok, I'm off my soap box :)

9. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Congrats! I didn't know you were pregnant. i have nothing to add, just congrats! I also remember you from expecting.

10. runnergirl

Thanks for all the comments and support, ladies! I personally don't know anyone that has attempted a VBAC, so its really nice to hear about your experiences. Apparently, I'm a great candidate for a VBAC, since my first c/s was due to the babies position only. My OB feels very confident that I will be successful. Its just all the unknowns that make me nervous, so many thanks again for all the feedback! :)

11. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

I had a successful vbac with my third. My first was a vaginal birth, so I knew that my body could do it 'technically.' I felt that I wanted to give myself, what I considered to be the best chance at a successful vbac by going natural...and I helped ensure that by hiring a doula (you can see how I felt about that by reading the doula post). I think I'd be lying if I didn't say that I was nervous about the whole thing working out, but it did. Even up until the last few minutes I wasn't sure 100% that I wasn't going to be wheeled into the OR. I think the important thing though is to trust your own instincts and to trust your caregiver. Know your own body, and have a caregiver who truly is pro-vbac, who knows what kind of infant heart decelerations are normal during labor and which ones are not. If you can feel confident in your hospital and caregiver I think that makes a big difference, and set as your goal a healthy birth.... have it set in your mind that if things don't work out the most important thing is a healthy mom and healthy baby. Sure there might be some disappointment, but it'll be okay. And find out from your caregiver how long they will let you go past your due date without interfering. That is a pretty big indicator of how pro-vbac they are. Your chance of a successful vbac go up dramatically if you go into labor on your own or with very minimal assistance...like you are dilated past a 3 and they simply augment your labor...

I think the more reading up you do on it, the better you will feel about it. Baby Center had a great forum for vbac moms when I was pregnant with Julianna. I felt that I got a ton of great information from the ladies there. By being informed I was able to make choices and ask questions that I felt increased my likelihood of success. It might've been false security, but it sure did make me feel better to feel like I was taking control of certain aspects of the birth.

12. runnergirl

Thanks Susanna, I appreciate your input and support! :)

13. jjhopple

jjhopple New Member

I had a VBAC after my c-section for my twins who were also both breech. I had no complications and my labor was only 4 hours long. I had no pain meds. Everything went smoothly. I had no pain afterwards unlike with the c-section, which I felt like I was dying. I also had a very supportive OB team which helped tremendously. I wish you the best of luck and please let us know how everything goes.

14. Erykah

Erykah Well-Known Member

QUOTE(hot2trottt4u @ Feb 4 2009, 07:26 PM) [snapback]1176505[/snapback]
    i just pm someone that would be perfect for you to talk to :)

Sorry for the delay in responding -- hope you haven't delivered yet but if you did, hope it was a VBAC! I had a VBA2C with my baby after the twins. Its so worth it! The best advise I can give you is to want it. If you want it, you will get it. Trust your body and anticipate walking out of the delivery room. I spent weeks at the Chiropractor preparing baby and my body for optimal positioning. Did a lot of hands/knees and it was the most perfect, medication free delivery!

15. Erykah

Erykah Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Susanna+3 @ Feb 9 2009, 12:56 PM) [snapback]1182769[/snapback]
    I had a successful vbac with my third.

I just wanted to publicly post that Susanna was the one who passed the VBAC bug on to me and I really do hold her opinion in high esteem!

Just a quick intro: I'm a transient these days but I was Erykah here for a long time, the twinsanity. I had a VBA2C with my last baby after two (one planned, one emergency) c/s.

16. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Twinsanity+3 @ Mar 13 2009, 10:54 PM) [snapback]1227078[/snapback]
    I just wanted to publicly post that Susanna was the one who passed the VBAC bug on to me and I really do hold her opinion in high esteem!

Just a quick intro: I'm a transient these days but I was Erykah here for a long time, the twinsanity. I had a VBA2C with my last baby after two (one planned, one emergency) c/s.

awww...thanks Erykah! I'm just glad your vbac went well or I would've felt terrible! LOL.

Seriously though I think more women would consider if they really did their research instead of listening to generic commentary on vbacs. The stats are really very, very encouraging.