Vaccinations causing Autism

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by murtygirl, Jan 19, 2011.

1. murtygirl

murtygirl Well-Known Member

thought I would share this article in hopes to ease parent's fears on vaccinations causing autism. This is the 2nd article I have read on this issue in the past few weeks. I believe that keeping up with our peds advice and getting our babies vaccinated will make the world a healthier place.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20110118/EDIT02/101190347/

2. Chrijodo

Chrijodo Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing. We delay/selective vaccinate but not because of the autism/vaccination belief.

3. murtygirl

just out of curiosity...why do you delay/omit certain vaccs?? do your kiddos have reactions?

4. momof6

momof6 Well-Known Member

We don't vaccinate but not for that reason either (although early on that was a consideration). Our older kids were mostly vaccinated and our younger not at all and she is by far the healthiest kiddo we have. But each family must do what they feel is best for their family. I would never tell someone what to do with this regard.

5. murtygirl

No I would not tell anyone whether or not to vaccinate either...but it is a fact that some diseases that were almost erradicated are coming back. It is just kinda of sad that is happening. I wouldn't attribute being vaccinated to being more sickly, tho. All 3 of mine have been/are being vaccinated and have never even had so much as an ear infection, or the stomach bug!!

This was not meant to be a debate, however, I am just trying to get info out ther. We all do what we think is best for our kids. But am very curious as to why people don't vaccinate their kids. Please educate me... :unknw:

6. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

We denied heb b at birth for the twins, cause they were premature (4lbs 2 and 3oz). We didn't think they could handle it. The doc made it big deal. Our pedi office wouldn't accept out twins if we totally denied all vaccines. I wanted to delay all the vaccines but I changed me mind. I have chic pox and mumps before. In my country, many kids suffered with those disease which they could avoid if they were vaccinated. My kids are on schedule with all vaccines, however, they always have reactions (fever, vomitting, fussy, lost appettie) which I hate it.

At 6 months, they got vacines and flu shots. Then my dd stopped talking. She didn't talk for 2 months. I was worried.then she started talking again and even better this morning. So I amnot sure if she stopped talking bc of the vacines or of that she was focusing on crawling.

I have heard that kids can't go to preschool if their vacine schedule is not up to date. But I don't know. Its parent choice.

7. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

The ones I can think of offhand are:

1. Lack of health insurance or access to doctors. For example, mom may not be able to financially afford to take a day off work to take the kids in for their vaccines.

2. Medical reasons. For example, allergic reactions to prior vaccines.

3. Ignorance. With the internet, there is a lot of misinformation out there about vaccine safety and efficacy.

4. Religious reasons.

8. momof6

momof6 Well-Known Member

One of the main reasons we do not vaccinate is because of all the horrible ingredients in these vaccines that can cause illness, maybe not now but in the future. These shots contain formaldehyde. Dead things are preserved with formaldehyde and if you have ever taken a science class where you dissect things preserved in formaldehyde then you know you would NEVER touch them with your hands or ingest it for that matter but we inject it into our kids on purpose? If you read the inserts on many vaccines including the flu vaccine it will tell you that these have not been evaluated for how likely they are to cause cancer. That is scary too. I stopped vaccinating my oldest DD of the MMR due to a severe reaction. I also know a mom whose sons severe retardation was linked to the vaccine he received as an infant. I believe that with the proper nutrition your body and immune system will work to ward off disease. The research that I have done and consulted with educated in this field tell me that vaccines lower your immune system. Chicken Pox for example... Most of us have had the chicken pox and survived just fine and are immune, uncomfortable but just fine. However, the vaccine that is out now, they don't know if there will be other doses needed to protect fully. Having the chicken pox ensures immunity. My friend is a teacher and the kids in her class who have had the chicken pox are the ones who have received the vaccine. I am not debating either was just a reply earlier... We also don't use medicine unless crucial. I don't give fever reducing medicines, or cough medicine. We use natural means that work without stopping the bodies natural ability to fight infection. I am sure I am a minority on this and most on here not only don't agree but probably think I am an idiot but that is ok. I want all children healthy and hope that they are.

9. momof6

momof6 Well-Known Member

Our pedi knows how we feel and does not push it at all. He is a wonderful Dr. He has only said that he thought we should give 2 vaccines he called no brainers, but has never given us a hard time at all

10. murtygirl

Well, I don't think you are an idiot by any means. We can agree to disagree:) In my opinion, the risk of giving the vaccine is far less than not giving it...on an individual level and as a human race. Millions and millions have DIED because of some diseases that could have been preventable with a vaccine. I am not worried about chicken pox, I know that won't kill ya. Polio, pertussis, and a few others, are the scary ones.

11. lisagayle

lisagayle Well-Known Member

I curious. How do you ladies who chose not to vaccinate bypass the school system? DS had seizures for two days after receiving a combo vaccination at 2 months, the neurologist is the one who told us it could be connected but that it wasn't proven. Ever since then I'm in a near panic over appointments that come up when shots are necessary. So I guess I'm just curious how you get the schools to admit your kids if they haven't had all the "recommended" vaccinations. I always thought that it was a requirement. I don't mean this to sound rude, so I hope it doesn't. I'm genuinely curious.

12. momof6

momof6 Well-Known Member

It depends on the state. In Colorado you can simply sign the form for a personal exemption. The schools say they "have to be vaccinated" but here you can refuse vaccines based on religion, medical or personal reasons. In other states it is only religious or medical. Good luck I would be freaked out too!

13. momof6

momof6 Well-Known Member

I also look at the facts that 30 years ago when I was being vaccinated there were far, far fewer vaccines recommended (not fewer available I am just saying how many of a shot you got) and there were far far fewer cases of autism, ADHD, allergies, asthma than we are seeing in kids today who are given many more vaccines than in the past. I can't help but believe in the link. I agree there are some scary diseases out there for sure. Thanks for not calling me an ignorant idiot!!

14. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

First I wanted to commend you ladies on a great discussion. This topic can often become heated and it is nice to really hear opinions expressed openly and respectfully. Anyway, even though I am in the camp to vaccinate on schedule I think just generally it is so tough for us parents to make these decisions these days. With the internet comes an abundance of information and it is a lot of work to verify sources. The degree to which this study was proven a fraud is embarrassing and angering and it has done its damage. The fact remains that they are not sure what causes autism, and I think we can all agree that no matter how passionate each side gets we all want the same output--a sure-fire safe decision for our kids. For me that means vaccinations for now. And my heart goes out for parents (and maybe that could be me one day) dealing with things like autism (my good friend has TWO children with severe autism), ADHD (my sister is going through this with her 7 year old who they want to start Ritalin with) and other extra issues beyond how to get them to nap or eat! I would be searching for the answer my whole life!

15. murtygirl

I see your point. Could it be tho that autism, allergies, adhd WERE all just as prevalent 30 yrs ago, just not diagnosed due to lack of knowledge by the doctors? I sometimes, in SOME cases, feel that some of that is overly diagnosed these days an we are to quick to medicate our kids for issues that are just normal. For example, a five year old may just be a hyper kid, and is too quicly diagnosed as adhd, then goes on unneccesary meds and is labeled with ADHD, and I have heard horror stories of how those poor kids are treated in school. When really, just needed to "grow out of" that hyper behavior? Ok, I am off my soapbox!!! Sorry to play devils advocate.

2 people like this.
  16. w101ttd

I agree that we have more vaccines now then before. I looked at my kids vacines schedule and speechless!

there were far far fewer cases of autism, ADHD, allergies, asthma than we are seeing in kids today who are given many more vaccines than in the past. I can't help but believe in the link

I disagree! I do believe there is high chance its because pregnant women smoke, drink, do drugs,..

We think we have more diseases now and that more people get sick now then 20 30 50 yrs ago. Maybe its ture but not totally. Now we have a better system/database to keep track of everything which we didn't in the past.

I believe non of us like vacines but many of us think its the best to keep their children safe from those horrible diseases.if you have concerns, talk to your pedi. Whatever we read on the iternet is not 100% fact.

1 person likes this.
  17. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

Lisagayle: You can just ask the school what the procedure is for a medical exemption, if your child cannot safely get vaccines due to a medical reason.

18. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

As far as allergies,astham and eczema go, it is completely environmental. Cities with higher polution levels have higher instances of Asthma, Allergies and eczema. As for Autism, it was not as well known 30 yrs ago, and it is a genetic, passed on by the father. In order to have autism it needs to run in the family. My cousin has 2 kids, neither one is vaccinated, both are autistic.

My kids vaccines are up to date, except for William. He has an egg allergy and can not receive the MMR.

2 people like this.
  19. momof6

momof6 Well-Known Member

I agree, it is possible. I also believe that there is a lot of over diagnosis with certain things.. especially ADHD and a TON of over medication in general. I think people want a "quick fix" for certain things (a hyper 5 year old) but the medication is far worse than some diligent parenting and some time!

20. murtygirl

yep..unfortunately the word they used for "autism" 30, 40 years ago was "retarded" or "slow", and those kids many times got sent off to sanitariums. It is wonderful that they have pinpointed the disease so that it can be dealt with as best as we know how!

21. mariam54

mariam54 Active Member

Where did you get the info about allergies, asthma and eczema? Did they do a survey?
    It's ok to get MMR if you have an egg allergy -if things didn't change- http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis/downloads/vis-mmr.pdf
    I know that flu vaccine you can't get it because of the egg allergy.

22. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I should edit what I said, environment such as higher polluted areas have an increase in asthma, allergies and eczema. It is also heriditary. I myself suffer from all three, quite severly. My father does as well, brother, and 2 of my children. Speaking from experience when I am in a more polluted city, and not out on the country my symptoms are worse. There have been numerous studies on air pollution and links to asthma, alleriges, and eczema. THey have been studying it since the 1990's/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2831931/
    http://respiratory-research.com/content/3/S1/S3

There are many more articles about it as well.

As far as the MMR goes, it is incubated on eggs. William is anaphylactic when it comes to them. His allergies said that he is not to be given the vaccine.

23. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

Very interesting discussion. I think everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I have to admit that the entire scare from that one study linking autism to vaccines certainly did get my attention. For that reason, and a few others I delayed getting the vaccines as recommended. I am not afraid to admit that I got sucked into that hype and was scared that my children might be somehow injured (and I am a highly-educated, over-achiever type personality). But, I did decided in the end to do all vaccinations. I have friends who are nurses and doctors and what they describe for the diseases that a child can contract are horrible if they aren't vaccinated.

My sister on the other hand did not vaccinate her children. They both have several health issues (eczema, stomach ailments, and food intolerances).

I personally believe that environmental issues play a large part, as well as what people actually consume in their diet (did you know that by 2020 it is estimated that 75% of the american population will be considered overweight?) and I think some things are just genetic as well. If you look at the food ingredients on a lot of foods it might surprise you what is actually in there that you would never spoon food to your children let alone yourself.

1 person likes this.
  24. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

Slipper - that is really intesting about your DS with his reaction to eggs.

My DD was also allergic to eggs and I debated about that vaccination, and in the end the research I did said it "should" be safe. So, I did it and then stayed at the doctors office for quite awhile afterwards just to make sure she didn't have a reaction.

My dd has now grown out of her egg allergy, but in the beginning I was carrying an epi-pen. Then I met with a very respected doctor in my city and he said that egg allergies are not as severe as peanut, milk, shellfish. he said in his 40yrs as a dr he has never known of a case where a person went into anaphylactic shock due to an allergy to eggs....which is why I stopped carrying around the epi-pen (never mind the fact that he would no longer give me a prescription for it). Interesting though and shows you how each dr has a different perspective and opinion.

25. Chrijodo

No, they've never had reactions. I just don't like the idea of injecting my kids so often with so many different live viruses. They get vaccinated against the ones that could kill them or seriously damage their ability to enjoy life if they caught the actual illness but the rest we don't get. I weigh each vaccination for the pros and cons and decide that way.

1 person likes this.
  26. Chrijodo

The idea that kids can't be in the school system with out up to date vaccinations is a myth, there are many waivers, that notion is just a scare tactic to get people to vaccinate on time.

Ignorance is also a great reason for why people vaccinate.. it's the norm so why not go with it.

A few reason why WE delay/select vaccinate are:

1) ingredients in the shots
    2) the pros vs the cons of getting the disease or the vaccination
    3) Medical reasons (one of my sons)
    4) I think it's cruel to subject my newborn,2 mon, 4 month, etc to 4 or 5 shots at once. I won't do more than 2 injections at once and for that reason alone we're delayed on our schedule
    5) I think that the immune system we were given works just fine when given the chance

Which 2 does he consider no brainers? Just curious. Our Pedi is big on DTaP and Polio but doesn't push the rest

Most states have waivers based on medical or religious beliefs and by law if you claim religious exemption they aren't allowed to ask your religion. Here is a website that has links to each states vaccination waiver information and forms for those waivers http://www.vaclib.org/exemption.htm

Pediatricians don't know everything either and everything they tell you is 100% fact either.. they are people and can be quite biased .. educating yourself is extremely important. And I don't mean by googling. There are organizations out there that have done the research on both sides of the fence.

27. momof6

momof6 Well-Known Member

I do not get my info by internet either, although I will read the product handouts that the manufacturer of vaccines puts out. I use a chiropractor and natropath. But don't get me wrong... there is a time and a place for medicine and I am grateful it is there to help when I need it... the main point is NEED it!!

28. momof6

momof6 Well-Known Member

Darn.. I messed up the multiquote I was trying to do like Chrijodo. If a moderator can fix that wold be good.. I will get this figured out eventually!!

29. w101ttd

I was reading on about the vaccines and came accross this topic 'Would you let your child play with unvaccinated kids?' Then I even asked myself this question too. I think I would be nervous but Idnt stop them from playing together. I mean not all vaccinated kids are healthy always and not all unvaccinated kids are sick and carry diseases. Getting sick is a part of kids nature. And kids they have right to play with whoever they want....I was suprised how people react so strongly about the whole vaccines thing. And I dont want to start a fight here please! just thought its interesting...

http://community.babycenter.com/post/a21503581/would_you_let_your_child_play_with_an_unimmunized_child?cpg=10&csi=2111927516&pd=0

30. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oooh, that's a good question! Considering that my kids are up to date on all of their immunizations, sure, why not, they're protected. But in the case of my cousin who couldn't be immunized due to a compromised immune system, no, he wasn't allowed to play with unimmunized children who could possibly be carrying an illness that could kill him.

31. momof6

momof6 Well-Known Member

I would of course let them play with unvaccinated kids, but then again I don't vaccinate. I would not go around asking parents if their kids were vaccinated or not. I think most parents keep their sick kids away from healthy kids and do not purposefully expose them. However, with most contagious illnesses you are contagious 24 hours before symptoms are even showing. As far as children with compromised immune systems I would think they could catch the flu r a severe cold and still become deathly ill and it doesn't have to come from other kids it could come from the store, or brought home by a parent. I find it curious that they could/would not vaccinate an immune compromised child if those vaccines are as safe as they say they are wouldn't that protect that child not harm them? Just asking, not looking for a fight :)

32. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I would not allow my kids to play with unvaccinated kids at this age. Even though my kids are vaccinated, there is a small percentage of people for whom vaccines don't work and unfortunately you usually find that out when you get sick. Individual immunity is not the point of vaccines. Herd immunity is. Beyond that, if I'm being honest, I think it's a bad judgment call to not vax and I would be concerned about other bad judgment calls the patent would make that might harm my children. I understand that's my opinion, but they are my kids.

6 people like this.
  33. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

First of all, children can and do die from Chicken Pox! There are people on this board who can tell you about the severe reactions to the disease that their children had to this "mild disease".

I have a friend who has been asked by many different doctors "why don't you vaccinate?" Her response is "I have given him every shot he was supposed to have". The result is that the kid does not "take" to any shot. They have tried different combinations, and methods of giving him his vaccinations. Nothing has taken. So basically, this boy is the same as someone who is unvaccinated. He is protected from the diseases by the simple fact that the kids around him who CAN be vaccinated are. He is not able to play with a cousin who is not vaccinated by choice because his cousin could literally kill him by exposing him to a disease that he has no protection from, and due to his compromised immune system is already at risk for illness.

I know some will say, that isn't my problem, that is the other families problem. But how would you feel if suddenly your child contracted cancer or some other disease, and then they are at risk for disease by someone who voluntarily doesn't vaccinate?

5 people like this.
  34. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

In his case, he was depending on herd immunity until he was over chemo. Let's talk varicella vax. If he were to catch varicella, it most likely would have killed him. He was depending on the other children/people that he and his family were exposed to to have either had chicken pox or be immunized against it. Same with Polio (at the time it was a live virus, so he couldn't get the vaccination) and was dependent on others to have received the Polio vaccine to keep him safe. And yes, a simple flu that was picked up at the grocery store did put him in the hospital for a month, almost 2 weeks in the ICU. I don't want to be the cause of someone else having to go into the hospital: because my children are healthy they should be immunized to keep the herd immunity as strong as possible.

5 people like this.
  35. murtygirl

WOW...soooo many different opinions ere! And that is what they are OPINIONS:)I must say I kind of take offense to the comment regarding it being cruel to subject their babies to so many different shots. My kids barely even cry.

If we are completely honest here...I would never forgive myself if my child was ill from a illness that could have been prevented. Heck, I would even feel guilty if they got the chicken pox...that's just me tho.

I also feel that we a have a duty as a human citizen to protect ourselves. If you think we have immune systems that can ward off anything if given a chance, I don't buy it. Life expectancy has dramatically increased since the invention of vaccinations.

If you look at the stats, the risk is so minimal. But it's not like the medical proffessionals are denying that there is no risk. You get a handout with each vacc on what to look out for. Again, you have to weigh the risks.

1 person likes this.