vaccinate both at the same visit?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by traceyp, Oct 25, 2009.

1. traceyp

traceyp Active Member

oh my, this is my first time on since the babies were born 8 wks ago! i knew i'd be busy but holy hell! on to my question...it's time for the two month jabs and i was wondering if i should go for two screaming babies or space out each of their visits just in case they both have a reaction (one sick baby at a time is better than two i'm thinking|). i'm a first-time mom so i don't really know what to expect from this doc visit and the aftermath.

any input/advice/opinions helpful!

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Congratulations on your babies. I vaccinate both at the same time. Neither baby had a reaction to the vaccines other then being really tired afterwards (especially at the 2 month vaccine). Good luck with your decision!

3. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I always did both at the same time. Really, reactions to the vaccines are rare & the most you should have is two mildly fussy babies. A bit of Tylenol should take care of that. Personally, I would rather get it over with in one day than have to make another trip to the doctor!

Congratulations, by the way, and :welcome: to First Year!

4. becky5

becky5 Guest

:wavey: I have always done their vaccines together. They did tend to be a little more fussy, but they also slept more. GL!

5. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

I always vaccinated my two at the same time.

A helpful tip if you are nursing - I always nursed them during their shots & it minimized the pain & stress for them.

6. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

I did both at once and didn't have any problems with it. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

7. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Both here as well, I really never knew I had any other option. My girls always did really well with them, thank goodness.

8. scrappycindy

scrappycindy Well-Known Member

I've done my two at the same time too...

9. nycmomma

nycmomma Well-Known Member

I would have never thought to do them on separate days. For me, just getting to the ped was an adventure, I'd hate to do that more than I had to. I have done all of our shots at the same visit. After their 2 month appt I had a baby sitter come over to help out in case I had two miserable babies, but they just slept it off. At the most recent 6 month visit and shots, I had both kids in my lap at the same time and we had a great nurse who administered all 6 shots in less than 20 seconds!

10. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

We've always done both at the same time. I find it a hassle just to get them to the doctor. I don't want to be there anymore than I have to. There are so many germs at the doctor's office. My LOs have never had a reaction and don't usually act fussier than normal. We do spread out their shots, though. They've never gotten more than 2 vaccines at a time.

11. MrsBQ02

MrsBQ02 Well-Known Member

We do them together. Of course, I always just get one shot at a time, so they're not really "dealing" with much. I think there was ONE time they really had a hard time after one shot, but that was well after their first birthday, so they'd had several by then and had done just fine!

12. serialmommy

serialmommy Well-Known Member

we did this just this past week, i did them both at the same time...i held the first one, the nurse did the shots/oral stuff and then we switched...they weren't too upset and calmed down pretty quickly..it also allowed me to get the first one back dressed again...

13. atinar

atinar Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your twins! we've always vaccinated them during the same visit. It all went fine, just one time one of my boys had a fever. We gave him tylenol and shortly after he recovered.

14. aimeemorgan1218

aimeemorgan1218 Well-Known Member

My answer is no different. Like the others, I find it difficult just to get out the door with the twins and when the destination is doctor or shots... blah! We have always got their shots the same day and we've never had a reaction or fussy babies afterwards. We give Tylenol 30 minutes prior to the shots and then about 3-4 hours afterwards.

Good luck!

15. lovemytwinsx2

lovemytwinsx2 Well-Known Member

I do both at the same time, it's easier and less time consuming having to run back to pedi for a 2nd baby vaccination, dont have the time. The only incident we had was after one of their earlier vaccinations they both became lathargic and not eating, so called Pedi and was told to give them baby tylenol and it did the trick. Even the Flu shot they got few wks ago, i had my husband go with me that time b/c boys are older and not sure how they would respond, they both did quite well.

16. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

We always vaccinated at the same time. We always did the Tylenol too, but there was just a study last week that Tylenol might reduce the effectiveness of vaccines, and they are not going to be recommending it as a routine for vaccinations anymore. So, I probably would skip the Tylenol now, but we didn't know a year and half ago!

17. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Congrats and welcome to the FY! :D

I also do both at the same time, I'm more worried about my kids getting sick at the dr's office, so the less time spent there, the better! :D

18. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

:welcome: to FY

I always vaccinate at the same time. Just easier to get it out of the way instead of bringing them both back where they are exposed to germs all over again.

19. Obie9

Obie9 Well-Known Member

We vaccinate both at the same time. Our ped only gives them one vaccine at a time rather than combined vaccines, and it will take us forever for the completed series. So we're keeping them home as much as possible!

20. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Mine were really sleepy after the first couple of vaccinations, and tended to be cranky for a day or so, but otherwise never had much of a reaction. We did give them Tylenol (except for the very first shots, when we didn't know about that strategy yet), and I think it helped, but apparently now you're not supposed to do that... Anyway, I think given the small chance of a reaction, it would be way more convenient to do them both at once.

21. krisdeb04

krisdeb04 Well-Known Member

I always take both my babies at the same time. They haven't had a bad reaction to any of the vaccines, they are usually cranky but that's about it. I rather take both and get it over with at one time.