*Updated* Bath issues at 10 months!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by MNTwinSquared, Mar 9, 2009.

1. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

My son has loved his bath from day one!!! He enjoys them. My mom has always enjoyed giving baths and she gave the twins their fair share.. but not too many with Evan since I am home all the time and he seldom leaves my side. Two weeks ago she had him for a little bit so I could go run an errand. She gave all the kids baths. (all seperate) Evan was first and he freaked out! She assumed that it was because he was not familiar with the bathtub. Well, ok. Now he freaks out (cries) at all his baths here at our house!!! :shok: It is not enjoyable. Nothing is different. I don't know what happened.. it was like someone flipped a switch!
    Is this normal for this age? Perhaps next time I will try just sitting him in the tub instead of laying him down... I don't know. Any suggestions?

eta: Normally I lay him down for the clean up phase and then I sit him up so he can play with the cups & bath toys. We are currently not giving C & A baths together because of the lack of room and how much they love laying down and moving around.

2. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Leah did that too right about that age. I put less water in the tub and added some bubble bath to the water and we never had the problem again. It was strange. Will he get in the tub with Audrey and Clayton?

3. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Before getting to the end of your post I was going to ask if you were sitting him up or lying him down. I would definitely try sitting up, and is it possible to try giving him a bath in the sink? Mine LOVE baths in the sink, that's like a big treat - I guess b/c they are up high instead of on the ground? Also, does he have bath toys? My girls favorite bath toys are wooden spoons and measuring cups.

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was going to also suggest try sitting him up in the bath and using some bath toys to distract him. Trying out the sink and using some bubble bath like Rachel and Aimee suggested are also good ideas. Poor little guy, I hope he starts to like baths again soon!

5. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

My girls went thru this at 11months. There was nothing that happened to them, they just decided one day to hate baths. For 2 weeks we made baths all business and were in and out very quickly. Then I introduced some new bath toys and they were a little better. What they really hated was feeling out of control when I had to rinse their hair so I made it a game "Look up at the window! YEAH!" Things got better and after a month of torture they were back to being bath-lovers.

6. MNTwinSquared

Ok, I was going to try the just sitting down approach tonight. No go.. he looked and saw the water and started screaming! It did not stop until I got him out.

7. becky5

becky5 Guest

Weird Jackie! I wonder what changed in his little world to make him scared? Could he have maybe slipped when your mom had him in the tub? Maybe put a towel down in the bottom and see if that helps. :unknw:

:hug:

8. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Jackie. I hope this is a quick phase and he goes back to enjoying the bath soon. :hug:

9. MNTwinSquared

QUOTE(becky5 @ Mar 12 2009, 07:21 PM) [snapback]1225759[/snapback]
    Weird Jackie! I wonder what changed in his little world to make him scared? Could he have maybe slipped when your mom had him in the tub? Maybe put a towel down in the bottom and see if that helps. :unknw:

:hug:

Thanks. Unfortunately, I do use a towel. I think mom would have told me if something had happened. I guess he is getting even with me for letting grandma bathe him at a different house. :( Don't know. He just LOVED his bath before this.

10. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Ugh Sorry. I hope he comes around soon. :hug: to you and him.

11. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(JicJac @ Mar 12 2009, 08:55 PM) [snapback]1225811[/snapback]
    Thanks. Unfortunately, I do use a towel. I think mom would have told me if something had happened. I guess he is getting even with me for letting grandma bathe him at a different house. :( Don't know. He just LOVED his bath before this.

Poor little guy, would it help to bathe him in the sink? I guess he is letting you know how much he dislikes some of his routines changed?