*UPDATE* What to give? Teacher/aide gifts

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by MNTwinSquared, May 14, 2009.

1. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

OK.. we have ONE more week of preschool and I assume that it is a time to give the teachers/aides gifts, right? What would an appropriate give be for a financially strapped family? We are looking at 5 people probably to give gifts to. Teachers? What is a good gift that you really smile about?

2. li li

li li Well-Known Member

Your wonderful scrapbook pages. Could you do one with the teachers and your kids?

3. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

I always do sets of handmade cards for the teachers at the end of the year. If you scrapbook already, you wouldn't even have to buy anything really!

4. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

I'm a teacher and I'll share my favorites. If you want to actually *give" a gift, a gift card is the best. I have gotten some great gifts, but unless you know the teacher really well, or what their house looks like, etc, you never know if the gift really "fits". You just can't go wrong with a gift card.

With that said, as a teacher, I have given of myself 180 days of the past 9 months emotionally and physically to your child and 20+ others (obviously I don't teach pre-school :) ). Most often, we don't receive any feedback from parents unless they have a question or concern, especially as the kids get older. My absolute FAVORITE thing to get from a parent, or student, is a simple card with a note of appreciation for what I have done for your child. That's all, but it means the most and I have saved every single one I've gotten over the past 14+ years of teaching.

If you truly appreciate what the teachers have done for your child this year, buy or make a card and write down the things you appreciated the most. Maybe the teacher was extra patient with your ultra-shy child; or maybe he/she recognized a special talent your child has and encouraged your child to further develope that skill/talent. Maybe it was as simple as being real appreciative and thankful every time your child brought him/her a specially drawn or colored picture that isn't recognizable to anyone other than the child. ;)

I hope that helps (and makes sense . . . it's my lunch break but I have a student working in my room and have had to stop several times to help her with her project . . . I keep losing my train of thought! :eek: )

5. MNTwinSquared

Ooh.. thanks! I"m inspired! Now to work out the logistics of it!

6. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

Jackie, I would make them a card using your digi scrap stuff and pictures, even have the kids sign it. They would like that! I know I would as a teacher!

7. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

When I was working in the schools, one of the gifts given was a pot with a flower and they Mom had written "Thanks for helping me grows" with a tag with the kids' name on it. It was so sweet and she did it a pretty writing. I think your scrapbook pages with a thank you note would be awesome too. Another one we've done is the layered cookie mix items in a jar with a decorative lid (lace or plaid square under the circle) with directions on how to mix and bake the cookies. They will appreciate anything, really.

8. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm thinking of making my girls teachers little calenders. I love the one I made for me. I'm thinking of putting the class photo on the front cover, and finding a nice thank you poem to put on the inside.

9. MNTwinSquared

QUOTE(MLH @ May 14 2009, 05:13 PM) [snapback]1314149[/snapback]
    When I was working in the schools, one of the gifts given was a pot with a flower and they Mom had written "Thanks for helping me grows" with a tag with the kids' name on it. It was so sweet and she did it a pretty writing.

That leaves me out! LOL I love typing!! But it could be done!

Thanks! I'm getting a lot of ideas. I can make banana bread in canning jars too! I have an idea for a card.. just have to take a picture of the kids and get it printed (my printer doesn't print photos anymore for some reason!) Thanks! :D

10. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(JicJac @ May 14 2009, 08:09 PM) [snapback]1314261[/snapback]
    That leaves me out! LOL I love typing!! But it could be done!

Thanks! I'm getting a lot of ideas. I can make banana bread in canning jars too! I have an idea for a card.. just have to take a picture of the kids and get it printed (my printer doesn't print photos anymore for some reason!) Thanks!

I like that idea a lot!

11. MNTwinSquared

OK. I am pretty much finished with my 6 gifts (2 teachers & 4 aides). I did some scrapbooking on a picture. I put thank you for helping us grow. I made banana bread in a jar & enclosed a pack of sunflower seeds in the card. Take a peek!

12. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Cute!!!

13. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

That looks like the perfect Thank you/gift! I know their teachers will love it! Good job!

14. plattsandra103

plattsandra103 Well-Known Member

WOW now THAT'S a gift i would have loved in my teaching days!!

way to go, mama!

15. MNTwinSquared

Thank you for the ideas!!! I couldn't have done it without you!

16. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

Wow...super cute!

17. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

Very cute! You did a great job!

18. BellaRissa

BellaRissa Well-Known Member

Awesome! You are soooo creative!

19. mandylouwho

mandylouwho Well-Known Member

I work at bath and body works. So a lot of moms come in to get teacher gifts. The summer gift sets are popular. BBW has 100% Gte on EVERYTHING!

Alot of moms do the card thing. In it is a 20 dollar GC taped in the middle.