Update of monitoring mono-di twin boys!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by HorseyLover, Aug 23, 2009.

1. HorseyLover

HorseyLover Well-Known Member

For those of you who may have read my topic - I just wanted to provide an update. Here's my original thread: http://www.twinstuff.com/forum/index.php?/topic/139786-confused-monitoring-of-identical-twins-share-placenta/

At the advice of OB - I got a 2nd opinion from another high-risk peri dr. My DH and I liked him so much better. One thing he said to me was "you are pregnant with twins, you are not sick". This was great to hear - because the other high-risk dr made it sound like there was something automatically wrong with me.

He said something similar to something I read (maybe I read it here, I can't remember) - that TTTS occurs in about 10% of mono-di twins. Which means it doesn't occur in 90%. He felt that monitoring every 2-3 weeks for now is sufficient, and as I get into the 30 weeks, perhaps it will be more. He want's to work WITH my OB, not INSTEAD of my OB. This dr did not believe in the progesterone shots for the reasons that I read; which is that there aren't any studies or conclusive data saying that it helps from a preventative measure with twins. Studies and data are with women who have had gone into premature labor with a previous pregnancy (and singleton).

So, in summary - this high risk dr is right for us. We feel comfortable now and know that he is working with our OB as a team. Thanks everyone again for your feedback, it was so helpful.

2. talivstouwe

talivstouwe Well-Known Member

Great news! I agree - just b/c you have mono/di twins doesn't give you an automatic sentence for TTTS. The monitoring your new doc suggests is great especially if you all feel comfortable with it. :)

3. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

I'm glad you got a second opinion and that you're happy with the new dr! It sounds like he has a great, realistic, calming attitude! Thanks for the update!!

4. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That is great. :Clap: I am so glad you got a 2nd opinion and have some relief now.

5. genagoodrow

genagoodrow Well-Known Member

Great news. It's amazing how varied care can be. So important that you're comfortable with your doctors! Glad you found a good one!

6. HorseyLover

HorseyLover Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone!

7. qfmom2009

qfmom2009 Well-Known Member

That's great news! He sounds right on track.

8. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I am glad you found someone that works for you, and that will work WITH your OB and not against either one of you.