Update: First NST yesterday - B still having decels

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by ReallyTiredMom, Dec 12, 2006.

1. ReallyTiredMom

ReallyTiredMom Well-Known Member

Well, I went in for my first NST yesterday at 30 weeks. It took them FOREVER to get both babies on the monitor. I guess that will get better as they grow and I return for these tests weekly. But, after all the repositioning of the monitors, and the nurse having to physically press one monitor in my side for 30 minutes, the readout showed possible distress and/or decels in Baby B. I had posted in the past about the concerns with my IUGR Baby B who also had poor cord blood flow. SOOOOOOO...it was off to Labor & Delivery - for 6 more hours! The husband was at work and couldn't get there but my sister came up - always good to have some moral support when you're a nervous wreck. Then again - they had the darnest time in L&D getting both babies to stay still and get the monitors in place. In fact, the nurses were arguing (and I wasn't about to get in the middle of THAT!) so I finally held the one monitor for an hour. All in all, a long day (but probably the most bed rest I have had in the last 30 weeks!). The doc came back and said there were some decels in the heart rate - but B didn't appear to be in distress (which was the big concern) And fluid levels weere strong. Yay! Oh - and did I mention - I was having contractions all along? Anywhere from 8-10 minutes apart - and I never felt them! So that was my day - now it's twice weekly visits and major monitoring of kicking, especially in Baby B. I'm so glad that day is over!

2. ReallyTiredMom

Well, I went in for my first NST yesterday at 30 weeks. It took them FOREVER to get both babies on the monitor. I guess that will get better as they grow and I return for these tests weekly. But, after all the repositioning of the monitors, and the nurse having to physically press one monitor in my side for 30 minutes, the readout showed possible distress and/or decels in Baby B. I had posted in the past about the concerns with my IUGR Baby B who also had poor cord blood flow. SOOOOOOO...it was off to Labor & Delivery - for 6 more hours! The husband was at work and couldn't get there but my sister came up - always good to have some moral support when you're a nervous wreck. Then again - they had the darnest time in L&D getting both babies to stay still and get the monitors in place. In fact, the nurses were arguing (and I wasn't about to get in the middle of THAT!) so I finally held the one monitor for an hour. All in all, a long day (but probably the most bed rest I have had in the last 30 weeks!). The doc came back and said there were some decels in the heart rate - but B didn't appear to be in distress (which was the big concern) And fluid levels weere strong. Yay! Oh - and did I mention - I was having contractions all along? Anywhere from 8-10 minutes apart - and I never felt them! So that was my day - now it's twice weekly visits and major monitoring of kicking, especially in Baby B. I'm so glad that day is over!

3. Michelle B

Michelle B Well-Known Member

From most threads I read, NST are like having a MAJOR stress tests, huh? I haven't had one yet, but they don't sound fun at all! But I guess that they are all for a good reason if they are able to detect decels like baby b is having! Sounds like you'll be seeing the doc more often, which is good! We'll keep you in our thoughts so please keep us posted on how your baby b is doing!!!

4. ~Laura M~

~Laura M~ Well-Known Member

Big Hugs Really Tired Mom! [​IMG] Prayers for Baby B to continue to grow and do well.

5. kendraplus2

kendraplus2 Well-Known Member

Oh, I feel for you on the NST tests, they sure are a pain. Glad they finally let you go and that baby B seems to be doing OK. Keep trying to take it easy and drink a ton of water!!! Isn't that scary when they record contractions that you don't even feel? I just had one at my NST on Monday, she said, "Wow, you just had a big contraction, did you feel that?" I had no clue. And every time I go she has to hunt for the heartbeats and then hold the monitors on or she loses the heartbeats and has to find them again --- ugh, such a pain. Hopefully it gets better for you!!!! Glad your long day is over!!!!

6. mrsfussypants

mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

Hey reallytiredmom....have you had another NST since your last post? How is everything going with that? Still having decels? Let us know how you are!

7. ReallyTiredMom

Well - they were going to have me try and come in today, but I haven't hreard back from them. I do have another NST on Monday and then I think I'll start getting them twice weekly. Thanks so much for asking about me - I am so worried about these little girls, but know that I can only do what I can. Overachiever (Sara) had the same exact thing going on with her, so seeing her deliver this past week has been an inspiration. You know, the NST's aren't so bad - just time consuming and nerve wracking, of course. Michelle B - don't worry about getting the NST tests becasue ultimatley, it just means they are keeping a good eye on everything (like you said). I am not sure they even do them with every twin pregnancy. I could be wrong on that -

I will update next Monday!

8. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

Hey, just catching up on everyone and was wondering how you're doing!
    Sounds likes the NST went well, though despite being a pain? My NSTs were always great; neither baby had any problems, right up to the day I delivered - it's one of the reasons we were "allowed" to go as long we were. My OB told me that at the slightest sign of trouble during an NST and we would go ahead. Luckily we were able to hold off!
    I hope things go well on Mon!