Unpleasant question about water breaking early, what that means?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by desolation_anonymous, May 15, 2008.

1. desolation_anonymous

desolation_anonymous Well-Known Member

Just asking this question because I've read a few women's stories who were different, and I don't understand what happened to them... This question has to do with what happens if water breaks too early...

I read a story of one woman whose water broke at 20 weeks, but she was able to stay in the hospital and then have her preterm baby...

Then another heartbreaking story from a woman whose water broke after an incompetent cervix at around (I think) 24-25 weeks... the Drs told her there was nothing they could do after the water breaking and she lost her babies... my heart was breaking for her...

Are both these stories possible? If so, why were the results so different? Is it possible in some cases to have the water break then stay in the hospital until birth?

I am sad for what both women had to do through, especially the 2nd, but the differences in what happens makes me curious, and wonder if the 2nd woman was not getting good care?

Anyway, just curious if anyone knows or has more information on this...

2. debfitz

debfitz Well-Known Member

I think I remember reading about water breaking and how it is treated. Don't quote me on this, but I think if it breaks prematurely, they will monitor you closely for infection, but have you drink a lot of fluids to try to rebuild the water. Sometimes the water will rebuild, and sometimes not. Ofcourse if it does not fill back up, the risk of infection and to the baby increases.

3. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

The baby needs the amniotic fluid to cushion and help develop their organs (lungs especially). Your water can break but the sac re-seals so the fluid can be replenished. Or it can break and no replenishment happens, leaving the baby with no cushion and no way to practice breathing, etc. Plus once the water breaks the risk of infection goes way up, and if infection happens delivery has to happen for the safety of the mother and baby.

So, if at 20 weeks the water breaks and cannot replenish, that baby's chance of lung development in utero is quite low since there's no fluid. But if at 20 weeks it breaks, seals, and replenishes, the chances are better.

Or if the water breaks at 25 weeks and an infection begins, that baby may have a lot of difficulty due to the infection.

My water broke on one of my twins at 30w5d, and they would have tried to keep me pregnant one more week to get to 32 weeks, with monitoring for infection, H/R of the babies, etc. But baby A (who PROM'd) was threatening to push her cord out with her foot, so it was safer for her to be delivered than be kept in for another week.

4. momoftheforest

momoftheforest Well-Known Member

Also, If your water breaks early and your cervix is ok, they can monitor you for infection and hope that the sac refills. If you have IC, your cervix may be too far gone to try an emergent cerclage and you would really have no other choice but to deliver.

5. kj427

kj427 Well-Known Member

With DD #1 my water broke one day shy of 28 weeks. I was put on hospital bedrest and I was able to keep her in until I hit 31 weeks exactly. I got alot of ultrasounds (almost daily) for those 3 weeks to check on the baby and her fluid levels. My water did regenerate somewhat and they had me on a hospital IV for the entire 3 weeks and I was getting multiple doses of antibiotics to help keep me from getting any infections. I eventually had to have a c-section because I started having contractions once again that wouldn't stop.

6. foppa2102

foppa2102 Well-Known Member

part of there being such a difference in these 2 cases could have to do with the hospital and doctor that the ladies had. i am a L&D nurse and used to work at the #1/#2 busiest L&D unit in the U.S. at a large county hospital and if your water broke before 24 weeks, it was pretty much considered an inevitable miscarriage. they might try to hold you off if you were almost 24 weeks, but for the vast majority (99%), they would have their labors induced to deliver their babies who had no chance of survival. it was very heartbreaking to see, believe me. now i work at a smaller private hospital with private doctors and they will try their best to keep your baby inside to viability as long as the baby is not in distress and there's no infection. however, the controversial thing that many doctors/hospitals keep in mind... is quality of life. if you have a baby whose water breaks at 20 weeks and they eek out another 4 weeks just to make it to 24 weeks, if the baby is born at 24 weeks, it's not guaranteed survival, and even if it does survive, quality of life can be very very poor. please everyone... i'm not saying this is my view or it's not, i'm not trying to start controversy, just letting you know what goes through the medical community's minds when making decisions such as these. plus, the parents also have a large say in this decision once they are well-informed of the possibilities.
    amy

7. tx3smith

tx3smith Member

when your water breaks early it is possible to stay in the hospital with an IV and antibiotics for up to ten weeks before deliving your children, however that is dependant on the baby if the baby starts to have problems then they will have to be delivered as soon as possible.
    When you water breaks at 20 weeks though no matter what the doctors tell you that your child will probably not make it. I personally know someone who stayed in on bed rest in the hospital for 12 weeks and delivered a healthy baby boy.

8. keren7

keren7 Member

How many weeks was she when her water broke?