Uh-Oh climbing out of crib!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by MrsWright, Sep 4, 2010.

1. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Of course 4 days before I go back to work Jack proves to me over and over and over again he knows how to get out of his crib :headbang: Their cribs are so low I didn't think they would be able to do it...and I am right in a way. Their beds have sort of a "wavy" pattern to the crib rails and he is going over the lower end....the same way, with the same leg everytime. So JT's bed is opposite...so switch beds, crisis averted right?!?! Yeah until DH shows him where the low end is on JT's crib :headbang: Don't worry I'm going to smother him in his sleep tonight with a pillow LOL <_<

So looks like tomorrow night big boy beds here we come!!!!!!! :cry: Wish us luck!! Do you think I should just change Jack's since JT isn't climbing out? Its only a matter of time before he tries and he isn't as strong so I'm assuming he will fall as where Jack gracefully scales down the side :rolleyes: but I'm also afraid he will disrupt JT so I'm thinking switch them both, everyone is disrupted for awhile and then we get settled in! What do you think or what did you do?

2. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

sleep sacks will be a temporary solution, at least it is/was for us. my ds was about the same age when he climbed out first.

crib tents are another way to go.

of course if they stay in their toddler beds then that's great, ours did NOT. I actually switched for almost 2 months this summer until I realized I needed them back in their cribs. life is calm again!

hope you figure out what to do!!

3. angelf

angelf Well-Known Member

I also heard that if you put the mattresses inside the cribs on the floor, that lowers the mattress enough so that they can't climb out. I plan to do this when we get to the crib tent stage. If it works, it will save some $$ on the tents! Good luck with whatever you decide!

4. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

I have 2 words for you... CRIB TENT!!! Seriously, the best investment, life saver, sanity saver, and sleep slaver I have ever bought.

Oh if the back doesn't have the same wavy part, you could always turn it around.

Good luck!

5. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

not sure how putting the mattress on the floor works... but that really scares me, there are so many accidents and deaths that happen with cribs, that i wouldn't mess with that. of course some cribs must be different than ours, for ours the mattress would slide under and I think the child could fall down.

good luck!

6. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Thanks everyone:) We haven't made any changes yet and so far the only time he gets out is in the morning if I get JT ready first. And that is including the time they "play" before bedtime and in the morning after wake up that he is staying in his crib so I guess we'll play it by ear and if he starts to do it more frequently we will switch them both:)