Two signs my 8-year-old is growing up:

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by jxnsmama, Dec 6, 2006.

1. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

1. Last night at supper, he tried broccoli, green beans, and red peppers (all of which he has strongly refused until now) and LIKED them!

2. He figured out who Santa really is. [​IMG]

He's had quite a few questions this year, and we realized he'd probably figure it out soon: "Why does my guitar from Santa say 'Made in China' on it?" "I don't think there are really magic reindeer. I think Santa drives a car." Stuff like that. Plus he figured out the tooth fairy a couple weeks ago.

Actually, he found out because I dropped the ball. I bought the castle Hayden asked Santa for and left it under a rug in the rear of the van. Jackson looked back there, saw the rug, and peeked under it, and then asked why it was there.

All he said when I told him was "Darn!" But when I told him he still gets the same number of presents, he was happy. And he added, "There probably isn't an Easter Bunny either, huh?" [​IMG]

He sure took it better than I did. When I asked my mom and she told me the truth, I bawled! [​IMG]

2. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

1. Last night at supper, he tried broccoli, green beans, and red peppers (all of which he has strongly refused until now) and LIKED them!

2. He figured out who Santa really is. [​IMG]

He's had quite a few questions this year, and we realized he'd probably figure it out soon: "Why does my guitar from Santa say 'Made in China' on it?" "I don't think there are really magic reindeer. I think Santa drives a car." Stuff like that. Plus he figured out the tooth fairy a couple weeks ago.

Actually, he found out because I dropped the ball. I bought the castle Hayden asked Santa for and left it under a rug in the rear of the van. Jackson looked back there, saw the rug, and peeked under it, and then asked why it was there.

All he said when I told him was "Darn!" But when I told him he still gets the same number of presents, he was happy. And he added, "There probably isn't an Easter Bunny either, huh?" [​IMG]

He sure took it better than I did. When I asked my mom and she told me the truth, I bawled! [​IMG]

3. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

Awwwww.....too mature for his own age! That's OK Amy, I bawled too! [​IMG]

4. Katheryn

Katheryn Well-Known Member

Smart boy! My 8 year olds still believe. I thought they might not this year as more and more kids at school are not believing now. Unless min really don't believe and are just pulling my leg [​IMG]. Nah, I don't think so.

I was almost 9 when I finally asked my mom point blank if she was Santa. I was disappointed in the truth, but I didn't cry. Christmas was never quite as fun after that [​IMG].

5. Kim5kids

Kim5kids Well-Known Member

quote:
    "Why does my guitar from Santa say 'Made in China' on it?"
    [​IMG] Sorry but that part made me laugh.

I know Jesse is starting to wonder too [​IMG]

6. 4kids4Cat

4kids4Cat Well-Known Member

Awww, Amy, Jackson sure is growing up. But I bet he'll be great with H&B and keep the fantasy alive for them. [​IMG]

My two older boys didn't let on they knew about Santa for a few years (I don't know exactly when they figured it out)..... they told me much later that they saw how much fun I had playing Santa (and Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, etc.) that they didn't want to disappoint me. [​IMG]

Curt just told me the other night that Christmas felt "magic" again, since K&K are VERY much into Santa this year. [​IMG] I didn't have to explain to him about that special magic that comes from being a parent..... he knew. He's going to be a great daddy some day.

7. momofangels

momofangels Well-Known Member

My son waited until we were in McDonalds to ask very seriously, "Is there really a Santa?" He told me he thought there wasn't, but sometimes I talk about Santa for his brothers benefit. They believe, even though we don't celebrate Christmas. However, we live in an area where most of their friends celebrate Christmas, and I have happy memories of when I used to have Christmas at my house when I was a child.
    Anyway, I digress. I told DS that kids like to believe in magic and Santa to make the day special. And I asked him to help in keeping Christmas fun for them by not saying anything. Most people figure out there's no Santa for themselves, but not everyone at the same time! He said that he'd keep quiet, because his friend didn't seem "ready to know the truth". But if his friend still believed in Santa in fifth grade, he'd tell him.

8. krysn2ants

krysn2ants Well-Known Member

I was surprised, really, that the boys still believe in Santa. I think they were the oldest kids in the line to see Santa at the mall the day we went...LOL!! I thought I blew the Tooth Fairy thing months ago...one night, I totally FORGOT to play TF before I went to bed. Michael woke up and was so upset that the TF didn't come! [​IMG] I jumped out of bed and before they could come out into the living room area, I said, "Ohhhh...the TF left your money out here! She must have been in a hurry!" as I'm grabbing change out of my purse. [​IMG]

The boys were SOOOOO into the Santa thing this year too. We went over to my BIL's Aunt's house on Xmas Eve and they always have someone come in dressed as Santa to hand out gifts to the kids. When he called Isiah's name, he practically ran to him to sit on his lap and get his gifts! LOL Then, as he was leaving, they had all the kids (which were younger than the boys) stand at the back door to see if they could see him flying off with the reindeer. Some of the adults went around the corner (inside the house) and pounded on the walls to make it sound like reindeer running on the roof, then all the kids ran outside to see if they could see Santa taking off. It was TOO CUTE!!! We left not too long after that and as we were pulling out of their neighborhood, Michael yells from the back of the van, "I saw him, Mommy! I saw Santa!! Did you see the red light?! Did you see Rudolph's nose?! It was right over there, Momma!!" [​IMG] I told him that Santa was in the area delivering gifts and that we'd better hurry up and get home and them get into bed otherwise Santa wouldn't be able to deliver their gifts. I tell ya, I have NEVER seen them get into bed and go to sleep as fast as they did on Xmas Eve!!! LOL

9. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

My 8yr old totally believes!! it is so cute! I had to tell
    my 12 yr old not to tell him any different!!! my 10 yr old
    is skeptical - lots of questions!!

One time I forgot to leave tooth fairy money too - my son woke up and
    was VERY upset!!! I told him that the next night he would have to "call"
    her by turning the porch light on and off 5 times! it worked and now if he forgets
    to "call" her he just does it the next night!! which buys me some time!!!
    because they always seem to loose teeth at a time when I don't have any cash or much change in my purse!!