Twins with a less than 15m/o

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Rayajane, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Rayajane

Rayajane Member

New here and just was wondering if there are many here with twins and another child so young. This pregnancy was a total surprise and then to be told I was having twins. Abbiegail was only 7m/o when we found out and then we did the math and she will be a little over 14m/o if I have my c-section as scheduled on March 3rd. Now we are really excited although a little scared. So if you have children so close together a few questions. How did your older child handle having two new ones in the house? Were there any problems eventually putting them all in the same nursery after a few months? I know that twins will be alot of work, how do you help your older one not feel left out? I know that these are probably just fears on my part and everything will work out fine but I also feel like we are cheating her out of having time to just be a baby. Thanks for all your replies.

2. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I have no advice, but I did want to Welcome you to TS and Congratulate you on your twin pregnancy!!

3. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

We had a three month old when I got pregnant with the twins. They were born five days after his first birthday. :)

Being pregnant while he was becoming more mobile was pretty tough, especially toward the end. But, he has done really well and having them so close in age has been more of a blessing than I ever thought it would be. We do have issues here and there...pushing, screaming, fighting over toys...normal sibling rivalry.

Putting them all together in the same room has worked out great for us. It was a little hard at first, just because at the time they were all on different schedules. We had the twins in the pack and play in the living room most of the time (our home was undergoing renovations) during the first few months. They moved to a crib around 3 months when they were sleeping all night. They've been on the same schedule for almost a year now and it's worked out well. Just a little more work to get it done.

I completely understand how you feel about your daughter not getting to enjoy you and being a baby. I had those same worries. I spent most of my pregnancy curled up in the chair with him and try to take time out each day to snuggle or play with him one-on-one and that helps. But, really they're going to grow up together and be so close...you'll see!

Good luck! If you ever need to talk to someone who's been in the same boat, please feel free to PM me!

4. nicinthebu

nicinthebu Well-Known Member

No help - but wanted to say "Welcome" and congrats on your two additional blessings!

5. erwelch

erwelch Well-Known Member

My DS was 9mths when I found out I was pregnant with my twins, they are 18mths apart. It has been changeling to say the least but it is getting easier. I think it would have been much easier if my DS was over 2 but it was not planned so we had to do what we had to do. You'll make it just fine and it will be fun in the long run.

6. reggs55

reggs55 Well-Known Member

Just wanted to chime in my experience...similar situation :) My oldest is 18 months older than the twins. The twin pregnancy was unplanned, but now I wouldn't change a thing!

The first year was hard, yes, but I hear that it's hard just with twins, so it's all relative! Just set your priorities--it seemed for the first six months it was all I could do to get the family fed and in clean clothes. The second six months I was able to actually clean my house a little bit and exercise. And now the girls all play together so nicely and I am finding myself with free time to do projects (sew, organize, take all the kids out to the park or library, etc.)

So in summary, it SO fun right now (and my oldest is getting REALLY good at helping me--she's almost three and in that stage where she's actually starting to become useful when unloading the dishwasher!). Just the other day I sent them all out to play in the snow and I watched from the inside. It's nice that they are old enough to watch out for each other! I just imagine that it will get better and better as they get older. The school years will be so fun because they will have built-in playmates. Teenage years will be a constant party with all the girl stuff, I can't wait!

Good luck!

7. Jenn79

Jenn79 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Rayajane @ Feb 2 2009, 10:42 AM) [snapback]1172646[/snapback]
    New here and just was wondering if there are many here with twins and another child so young. This pregnancy was a total surprise and then to be told I was having twins. Abbiegail was only 7m/o when we found out and then we did the math and she will be a little over 14m/o if I have my c-section as scheduled on March 3rd. Now we are really excited although a little scared. So if you have children so close together a few questions. How did your older child handle having two new ones in the house? Were there any problems eventually putting them all in the same nursery after a few months? I know that twins will be alot of work, how do you help your older one not feel left out? I know that these are probably just fears on my part and everything will work out fine but I also feel like we are cheating her out of having time to just be a baby. Thanks for all your replies.

I am so with you on this one! My son will be no more than 15 months old when the babies get here. We wanted to get pregnant but were totally shocked to find out twins were on the way. I know it is going to be somewhat (maybe totally) different but our first two daughters are 16mths apart and I had the same worries about my oldest feeling left out and such but she was AWESOME. She loved her baby and wanted to do everything so I let her get diapers/wipes, sit with me while I nursed sissy, and just gave her LOTS of hugs and kisses. She never felt or didn't show any signs of feeling robbed of her time AND as a bonus, she never got any "only child" jealousy about her because she doesn't really ever remember life without sissy. I had no problems putting them in the same room, my second was a non-sleeper (up several times a night forever!) but my oldest was a deep sleeper so it never disturbed her.
    GOOD LUCK with everything and WELCOME to TS! I think we will have a ton to talk about in the coming years and especially in the next couple months since yours will be here in March and I will want to know how it is going!

8. lilymoo

lilymoo Active Member

I am no help, came in to learn. My twins and their older sis will be 17 months apart. We are planning on hiring two nannies..besides that, we are pretty clueless about whatelse we can do to lighten the load. We are scared....

9. LeeandJenn15

LeeandJenn15 Well-Known Member

I am worried, too. My DS will be ~22 mos when the twins are born. He's SOOO attached to me right now. When I hold other people's babies, he always wants to be with me. Great stories in here, but I'm wondering if anyone out there has an older boy? I don't know if it makes much difference, but my experience is that girls just seem to love babies more than boys. We have gotten him a baby doll (against my DH's wishes) and we have been working on being sweet and "easy" to dolls and babies we contact. Of course, the doll is still thrown on the floor alot when he gets bored.

Thanks for sharing any of your experiences!

10. Rayajane

Rayajane Member

Thanks everyone. I am grateful to know that I am not alone. Also will keep everyone updated on how things are going once they get here.

11. Angelsamb

Angelsamb Well-Known Member

My sister's son was 16 months when her twins were born and she did just fine. Her twins, girls, were easier than her first tow boys, singletons, by themselves. The girls slept through the night faster, ate better, and entertained themselves. My sister was also afraid that her other 2 boys were missing out on mom so she couldn't devote all her time to the twins. Now that her girls are 20 months, they have a blast with their 2 older brothers. She loves having them so close, I know you will too!

12. megan smith

megan smith Well-Known Member

Our story is kinda the other way around we fell pregnant with our youngest when the twins were 2 months old and had him a week before they turned 1. we put them in the same room once the little one was sleeping through the night they went great in there together. Its a great thing having them so close they do everything together and they all love each other so much. Good luck with everything.

13. melstofko

melstofko Well-Known Member

I was in a similar situation to one of the previous posts. I had a 3 month old and got pregnant with my ID twin boys while I was BFing and on the progesterone pill...SURPRISE!! I ended up having my boys 6 days after my little girls first birthday at 33 weeks + 4 days. I will be honest with you...it is sooo hard. It was tough toward the end of the pregnancy with a very active, climbing, running little one and being very exhausted and huge! My boys are now almost 5 months old and it is so difficult to juggle everyone and meet all of their needs. I am breastfeeding and am a stay at home mom. Line up as much help as you can for as long as you can. Right now everyone is actually sick with RSV and I am overwhelmed and exhausted but I wouldn't change it for the world. I just have to remind myself that it is only for a time and they are all adorable and I love it so much. You can e-mail with any questions you may have. Good luck and have fun with it!!

14. mamammbs2

mamammbs2 Well-Known Member

Good Luck. No advice just came in here to learn as well. Our little one will be 17 months when the twins arrive. The benefit for us is that we have a 8 yr old and a 6 year old as well that will be great helpers.

15. Jenn79

Jenn79 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mamammbs2 @ Feb 5 2009, 09:38 AM) [snapback]1177098[/snapback]
    Good Luck. No advice just came in here to learn as well. Our little one will be 17 months when the twins arrive. The benefit for us is that we have a 8 yr old and a 6 year old as well that will be great helpers.

Those older ones are such a blessing aren't they? Not to say our other little ones aren't but my girls have been so AWESOME to have around helping with their little brother and they love him SO much. My 8.5 year old is a little mother hen and it is so cute to watch them all together. I know they are going to be great with the twins as well.