Twins a romantic attraction?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Mama_Kim, May 21, 2007.

1. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

We have been having quite a time at our house with two little girls in particular calling our house (they are cousins) incessantly for Brian and Craig. One little girl ("D") is calling for her cousin ("E") who has had "a thing" for Brian ever since 5th grade. She ("E") used to leave anonymous love notes on Brian's desk in 5th grade. It has since progressed to calling in middle school. "D" calls several times a night and asks for Brian. We recognize the number on caller ID and used to just not answer it but then they would call over and over and over. So Lou and I have started taking turns answering and just telling her that Brian is not home and taking a message. It seemed to have worked a bit and now they are "only" calling three times a night or less. Last night, they called and asked for Brian. I said he wasn't available so then they asked for Craig. They called again at 7:30 this morning!! It's really getting annoying. When I speak with them, they are both sweet little girls and very, very polite, so it's not like I want to be rude or mean to them. But Brian has zero interest in this girl. Then he informed me that the cousin ("D") who keeps calling likes Craig! All of a sudden the lightbulb went off. They are into the whole twin thing. They think it would be cool if they as cousins were dating identical twins. One time a few weeks ago, they left a message talking about how "E" likes Brian and she wants to marry him and have twins. They are TWELVE!!!!! We are really at a loss as to what to do. Oh. They are calling from a cell phone too so I don't think the mom is aware they are calling so much.

Anyway, we are not sure how to get them to stop without being mean or hurting their feelings. The third time they called last night, Craig talked with them, but they don't really say much so he ended up hanging up and then they called back and Brian answered. He just asked them what they wanted and then they laugh and giggle and scream. He just does not know what to say or do.

My poor babies. Being stalked at age 12. Any suggestions on how we could nicely get these girls to stop calling? How would you handle it?

2. twinbears

twinbears Well-Known Member

I am sure the boys don't want to hurt their feeling but maybe they are the ones who should say something to them!!!!

3. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

OMG! It would be SO KeWl if cousins dated twins! OMG! They have to get married!

Sorry, that probably is the conversation going on in the girl clique.

I know your boys are very nice boys and don't want to hurt the girls but I agree with Stephanie, they have to be the ones to say something. Even if its something blaiming you and Lou with a "my mom and dad say I can't have a girlfriend until high school".

4. vickyc76

vickyc76 Well-Known Member

I agree too that the boys really need to let them know that they don't have any interest in them. Just explain to them how to go about it nicely.

Also, it's certainly within your rights to tell them when you answer the phone that they are calling excessively and that they need to limit their calls to once per evening or you will have to speak to their mothers. That might get them to settle it down a bit and if it doesn't work then when they call again ask to have one of them put their mother on the phone.

My daughters have twin friends that call our house excessively and it drives me crazy. One or two calls per evening is enough and if we don't answer the phone the first time, don't call back 5 or 6 times until we do. I think so many parents are not teaching their children phone ettiquette these days. I still to this day won't call someone's house past 9 PM unless I know for a fact that they will be up (i.e. my parents or brothers). I'm trying hard to instill the same respect into my daughters.

5. Katheryn

Katheryn Well-Known Member

Yep, I'm right there with Vicky!

Next time they call ask to speak to their mom. Even if it's a cell phone, ask to speak to their mom. If they give you some excuse then let them know you'll be calling their mom on their home phone and will be speaking to her about the frequency of the phone calls. You have to be stern, not "mean" but YOU have to mean business and they need to know it. I wouldn't tolerate it and Bart would have gone through the roof by now with all that calling :nea: .

Cute crushes are one thing, but annoying and invasive behaviour.....uh uh... :angry:

6. Mama_Kim

Oh no, I am not getting into something with the parents over this. I think that would just make a bad situation possibly worse. But I will tell Brian and Craig to ask them to stop calling and to let them know they are not "interested" or not allowed to date. Something like that. I may even tell the girls directly the next time they call -- and they will call. Luckily with the school year coming to an end, some distance will be between them all and hopefully the girls will get bored with it all.

Thanks for your advice everyone! I appreciate it. I'll let you know how it goes.

7. MommyTo3andCounting

MommyTo3andCounting Well-Known Member

I'd probably have the boys tell them that you and DH don't want them dating until high school - hopefully they'll get the hint.

8. JandCsMom

JandCsMom Well-Known Member

How about call blocking?

9. Mama_Kim

I thought of that too but don't know if we can do that. I'll have to ask DH.

10. Monika

Monika Well-Known Member

In a way this is so cute. I can understand the girls doing that, I too was little girl once. lol

I'm not sure what I would do. This is a weird age with crushes and each time they hear their voice, they probably freak out. :D
    I think your boys should tell them not call. I would wait untill school is out and see if this gets less. If it doesn't change I'd probably say something to them in a nice way.

Gosh, I hope I won't be in this situation. :rolleyes:

11. Mama_Kim

QUOTE(Monika @ May 22 2007, 10:15 AM) [snapback]264307[/snapback]
    In a way this is so cute. I can understand the girls doing that, I too was little girl once. lol
    Yes, it was kind of cute and sweet at first. And there is a lot of screaming and giggling. Once when we were at a school band concert, I walked past with B&C, and the two girls were just having fits and I heard "D" say to "E", "OK, you can breathe now. He's gone." :lol: I too was a girl once and know how these crushes can be. :D

But, we've had enough. We were out last night and they called 12 times!! Finally, after we got home, they called again. I told them (truthfully) that the boys were outside playing and could not come to the phone. 5 minutes later they called again. So Dh very nicely told them he would give them the message and then asked them very nicely if they could please stop calling. He told them he received business calls on this line (the only number they have -- B&C are under strict orders not to give out their cell numbers) and that they were disrupting his calls. That seems to have worked (for now).

12. Mama_Kim

Oh, and if worse comes to worse, we can call block. DH showed me how to do it. I asked the boys to tell them not to call, but they said they have repeatedely told them, which only makes them seem to call more!!

13. Monika

Monika Well-Known Member

QUOTE(MamaKim @ May 22 2007, 09:23 AM) [snapback]264318[/snapback]
    Yes, it was kind of cute and sweet at first. And there is a lot of screaming and giggling. Once when we were at a school band concert, I walked past with B&C, and the two girls were just having fits and I heard "D" say to "E", "OK, you can breathe now. He's gone." :lol: I too was a girl once and know how these crushes can be. :D

But, we've had enough. We were out last night and they called 12 times!! Finally, after we got home, they called again. I told them (truthfully) that the boys were outside playing and could not come to the phone. 5 minutes later they called again. So Dh very nicely told them he would give them the message and then asked them very nicely if they could please stop calling. He told them he received business calls on this line (the only number they have -- B&C are under strict orders not to give out their cell numbers) and that they were disrupting his calls. That seems to have worked (for now).

Ugh, crazy girls! :laughing:

I hope your DH saying something makes them stop.

14. Mama_Kim

Well, DH speaking to them seems to have worked. No phone calls since then!!! :D

15. Monika

Monika Well-Known Member

QUOTE(MamaKim @ May 25 2007, 05:49 AM) [snapback]268277[/snapback]
    Well, DH speaking to them seems to have worked. No phone calls since then!!! :D

:banana: :a_smil09:

16. PumpkinPies

PumpkinPies Well-Known Member

Okay, Kim, I want an update!
    I distinctly remember in 7th grade my friend planning to have B/G twins and name them Patrick & Patricia. You're darn tootin' they've got plans :D !