Twin pregnancy after singleton - questions about what is normal

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by nerdgirl, Jan 2, 2012.

1. nerdgirl

nerdgirl Active Member

I'm 17 weeks and paranoid, so please bear with me. I am particularly concerned about the lack of movement I'm feeling regularly; I suspect I've got an anterior placenta(s), which could account for that. I started feeling these babies at 12 weeks, but for the last week, it's been sporadic and much weaker. I do feel twinges and pangs deep inside my belly which do not feel normal, so I'm guessing that's them, but again, paranoid I am so I ask.

I have also finally gained back the nearly-3kilos I lost during the first trimester, but nothing on top of that. I only gained 15lbs with my second pregnancy (he was 8lbs 4oz at birth), though, so maybe I'm just a lucky one?

Also with this lack of weight gain, I feel like my belly is still so much smaller than it should be. Argh. Driving myself (and husband) crazy here, but I just don't know what's "normal" for a twin pregnancy, so I'm asking the experts. Thanks for humoring me! [​IMG]

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I went through a period of time when they did not move so much. The doctor's office always said, when in doubt, call. I came in and they hooked me up to an ultrasound and I watched one of them kick the other one in the face. I did not start feeling them until 20w1d. Congratulations on your twin pregnancy & :welcome: to Twinstuff!

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I had an anterior placenta with my girls and didn't feel movement (at all) until 21 weeks. But as Jackie said, if you're that concerned, go & get checked out. If nothing else, it will give you peace of mind.

As for belly size, I also wouldn't worry about that. It's so different for every woman and for each pregnancy. Maybe ask your caregiver next time you're in what parameters they're comfortable with & why so that you have some guidelines to ease your worry. :hug:

4. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

As for weight gain, most people couldn't even tell I was pregnant with twins until the last month of my pregnancy. I just did not gain that much weight, and because I was so tall (i'm assuming anyway), and have a pretty long torso, my girls had all kinds of room until the last month or so, so I never really looked to be all that much bigger than a normal pregnancy.

5. nerdgirl

nerdgirl Active Member

Thanks for the reassuring replies. Like I said, I'm a worrier and this is all probably in my head, but it's nice to hear others' experiences. I'm in a somewhat strange situation regarding my doctor; we are overseas on a temporary basis and I really hadn't anticipated every having to navigate Australia's healthcare system - at least not for pregnancy - so it's been a challenge to know what's normal, what I can/should expect, etc. I did NOT like my first OB but have since found one I think is going to be wonderful, but I don't actually meet him for another couple weeks and with Christmas holidays/summer vacations, everything's been shut down for over a week. I think that's where a lot of my paranoia comes in as well, just not knowing my doctor and his prenatal care practices yet.

And of course, as I type this, I'm feeling one of the babies moving. Isn't that always the way it works... [​IMG]

6. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yeah, I didn't have a lot of consistent movement until about 20 weeks. Heck, I first felt them at 18 weeks. :) I'm glad they are moving for you, now, though.

Welcome to TS and congrats on your babies!

7. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

Welcome and congrats! And try to relax a bit, it's all gonna be ok ;)

8. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I didn't feel consistent movement until about my 20th week as well. As for weight gain, my first pregnancy was a singleton, I gained 13lbs he was 8lbs 6oz. The twins I gained 19lbs, and they were 6lbs 9oz and 5lbs 2oz. As long as they are growing they are fine!

9. j-squared

j-squared Well-Known Member

I started feeling movement at 12 weeks with this pregnancy, but it became much less noticeable between about 16-20 weeks and I remember worrying about it. I do have both placentas anterior and I think maybe the placentas were just getting nice and thick but the babies were still really small so movement became less noticeable at that point <shrug>.

(P.S. it's me, Jan, posting--nice to see you here too!)

10. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

I didnt feel movement till 22 weeks (anterior placenta) I only gained 35 lbs and at birth (34 weeks) they weighed 6 lbs and 5 lbs 4 ounces...so they were just fine.