Twin "essentials"

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Raneysmama, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Raneysmama

Raneysmama Well-Known Member

Hi Mommies!! Wondering if I can get some input about what things you've found to be your best "investments"? What kind of diaper bag do you have? Do you have an Arm's Reach Co-sleeper? A breast pump? Slings? Swings? What things have you found to be most helpful? And why?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

[​IMG]

2. greenslade7

greenslade7 Well-Known Member

One thing I wish I had gotten was a double snap and go stroller instead of a regular stroller for this first year when they are in car seats. It would have been so much easier.

I have used fisher price diaper bags (the big ones) they hold four bottles upright, have a front zipper pocket for all the little things you carry, and two big zipper pockets on each side that could hold two more bottles on each side or anything else you can imagine. There is also one huge area in the center that I can actually pack for my two year old who is still in diapers and the twins, including sippies, bottles, changes of clothes for each of them, diapers, wipes, extra formula and bottled water. They are relatively cheap and have shown themselves to be incredibly strong.

I didn't use a co-sleeper. I could not have lived without the swings.
    I had two jungle gyms with play mats and a jumperoo, and two bouncy seats, though I think I could have made it with one. Lots of bottles if you aren't breast feeding. If you are, I loved the medela pump and go. My friend used the ameda pump that comes in a backpack and she loved it!

That's all I can think of right now.

Laura

3. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

double snap and go, double snap and go, double snap and go!!!!

It was the most convenient item I had. The frame is so light and getting them in and out of the car was a breeze.

4. FondofTwins

FondofTwins Well-Known Member

Essentials- that's tough. It all depends on what you are going to do.

Breast Feeding:
    I used the Avent Isis Duo($275+), but my best friend swears by her Medela Pump in Style($185+). (Both of us pumped constantly, and they handle high usage).
    Hands free pumping bra
    Hands free phone
    Avent microwave sterilizer- this works great for the first few months to keep down the # of bottles you buy.
    Bottle warmer (I suggest the one by FirstYears instead of Munchkin, as the Munchkin regularly overheats the small 4oz bottles. We use both.)
    -avent hand pump for emergency situations
    -baskets for the dishwasher for nipples and rings.
    -alarm clock
    -notepad to write down who got fed/poo'd/pee'd etc

Sleeping:
    We used the Original Arms Reach Co-sleeper. It's nice and convenient, especially with the leg extenders. Only the 'original' sleeps up to 30 lbs, the others only go to 24 and are much smaller. There are some new PNP's that are almost as good. Some even come with double bassinet hoods. I loved having my babies close.
    -Sleep sacks and lots of blankets for swaddling
    -Wipe warmer- it doesn't effect their body parts for those middle of the night changes.
    -something that makes noise of white noise or soothing music
    -Cool air humidifier. Keeps the room cooler especially in midwinter when the warm air dries out your home.
    You will need 2 cribs.
    -Body pillow- your back will thank you.

Slings- Yes you need one or two Infantino makes an inexpensive kind that belts the baby in- so you know the positioning is right. I like the Maya wraps, but don't have one. The thing about slings is some people like them, some don't, so don't spend a lot of money until you know you like the idea.
    Monitor- Evenflo makes a great inexpensive set ($49.99 one handset, $69.99 two). This is a two way, so you can ask your DH for something while in with the babies. DH loves it.
    -Bouncers that vibrate- they are terrific!
    -Boppies- two for feedings and naps.
    -Swings- no advice, we're still trying to find one that they like
    -Two good diaper pails- diaper genies fill up quick, find something bigger.
    -Wubbanubs if your little ones take pacifiers. They are pacifiers attached to little stuffed animals that are propable and help develop hand eye, binky to mouth coordination. (Life savers)

Outings-
    We use Graco Snugrides, they are one of 2 that passed the Consumer reports tests out of 14. You can use the Graco Duo Glider XLI with the carseats. I call it my limo. I can't wait to get a Combi tho.
    But, if you check the NICU page, some babies can't pass the stress test in the Snugrides. There are inserts you can buy to assist, if your little ones come early. Check the NICU and beyond forum.

Diaper bags- find some that are big enough for two of everything. It is good to have one in the car at all times, and one at home or with the stroller. You never know when you get the chance to get out of the house, or just have to run and get someone out of jail. (Okay, I meant pick the older kiddo up from school).

Okay- if you are into saving money and have a good washer/dryer, you could consider doing cloth diapers if you don't have to work or are fortunate enough to get a nanny. Most daycares won't do cloth diapers. Diaperaps has a great site that offers a Twin package. You would also need/like to have the little connector thing to the toilet for spraying off the dirty ones. (You don't have to, as today's washers are really efficient, but we prefer one.) I've loved doing the cloth diapers, as we have had very little diaper rash, and have only spent one tenth of the amount on diapers. We do keep disposables for outings tho.

Niceties- Acc to DH:
    Microfridge in the bedroom, with bottle warmer on top. Midnight feedings were not so bad.
    Stand-up freezer/deep freeze (Costco/Sam's club is your friend). He swears we would have either starved to death or gone broke on fast food.
    Single strollers for those appts with only one twin
    Bottle Slings- by ergo products or some form of self-feeding kit like the podees (don't have those, want to try them tho).
    (These come in handy when you need to feed one and put the other down at the same time)

That's all we can think of.

GL with your little ones.

5. RRTwins

RRTwins Well-Known Member

Things that are loved by the babies or well-used at our house:

1. Fisher Price Aquarium swing (the side to side swinging motion is a must have!)
    2. Baby Einstein exersaucer
    3. Baby Einstein playmat with the lighted star
    4. Jumperoo
    5. Two Boppy pillows (for propping up when they are very small and tandem bottle feeding)
    6. EZ-2-Nurse pillow (even though we bottle fed. Was great for support after c-section)
    7. Two cribs - we did not co-sleep. Separated the boys at 6 weeks and they slept through the night at 10 weeks. 2 cribs made a big difference for us.
    8. Air cleaner for white noise
    9. Swaddleme or Miracle blankets
    10. Graco Snugride infant carriers
    11. Double Snap N Go stroller - worth every penny
    12. Baskets for nipples for dishwasher
    14. 20 bottles - 9oz right from the start so you don't have to buy several sizes
    15. My Double Time schedule book to track feedings, diapers, etc. - this has been awesome and we still use it.
    16. Diaper Champ diaper pail
    17. Angelcare monitor
    18. Wipe warmer
    19. Changing table - we still use it.

Bad investments I made:

1. Maximom Twin carrier (I had almost 8 pound babies, who can carry 16 pounds and growing all day??)
    2. Single carriers - never used
    3. Fancy expensive pack and play. We've never used it. The babies exceeded the weight limit of the bassinet when they were born and the bottom only goes to 30 pounds or for my boys, 4 months old (15+ each)
    4. A big stock of Newborn and 0-3 month clothes - they were in them for about 2-3 weeks.
    5. All clothes that I bought ahead of time - you can't estimate how fast they will grow and what season you'll need which size. I have bins full of clothes with the tags still on them. Who knew they'd be in 18 months at 8-9 months old.
    6. Bouncy seat - both boys hated it

6. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

I just have the simple Child of mine brand diaper bag, it is nice and big and has accomadated me since day one.

Our favorite swing was the FP Cradle swing, it moved in 2 directions, so you can choose which your baby likes better. (What motion).

I had a PNP Bassinet... one slept in it beside the bed, and other slept in his crib on the other side of our bed.

I didn't breastfeed, it would have been to demanding for ME.

7. Raneysmama

Raneysmama Well-Known Member

Wow! Thanks so much for all of your suggestions! Fonda, what exactly is a Hands free pumping bra? I hope that I won't end up having to pump too much, but it may help build my supply at the beginning. How much did you use your pump?

What are the advantages/disadvantages between a Double Snap and Go and a Graco Duoglider?

Thanks ladies!

8. FondofTwins

FondofTwins Well-Known Member

hadns free bra-This is most useful when you do pump. My boys never learned to nurse. (I was most disappointed!) I was pumping up until 4 months. It got to be a big hassle. However, even if you are going to pump at work or while trying to do something else, this will allow you to. I would type and pump, or even play video games while pumping. It's nice to have. I would call it essential if you are going to work.

My biggest piece of advice tho- make sure your babies are nursing before you leave the hospital.

I don't know what a double snap and go is. I will say that I like the Duo Glider because it has a huge storage area underneath. I can drive it while holding a twin, and it only takes one hand to fold it up. Once the babies outgrow their infant carseats, the back seat is higher than the one in front. So the kiddo in the back doesn't get shafted for a view. It is a limo tho- very long. I can fit it into a normal sized elevator, but I usually use the utility elevators at the hospital, as they are bigger. It has trays for the kids and one for me. My diaper bag hangs perfectly off the back handle. Also, the storage area opens in back, you can lower the back part and slide stuff in. There are also footrests for the babies (after infant seats), so their legs won't just dangle as they get older. It is rather big in the back of my minivan, but well worth it.

9. kajulie

kajulie Well-Known Member

I have an arms reach co sleeper - the full size one and I am so glad. The girls are 3.5 months old now and still sleeping in it. It's wonderful. I also have 2 bouncy seats and 2 swings. I'm very glad for them! If your going to breast feed, i'd strongly suggest getting one of the twins breast feeding pillows.

10. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have the Arms Reach co-sleeper and I also love it. The original one has plenty of room for both when they are small. I loved having them close but not in my bed. I still use it now away from the bed when I want to separate them (one in the crib, one in the co-sleeper).

Another thing I absolutely cannot have too many of is receiving blankets. I still go through so many every day because I use them for everything. Both babies are spitters, so I have one on my shoulder at all times. I probably have 20 and some days I am waiting on the laundry so I can get a clean one out. Same goes for sleepers, we go through a lot. Forget "real clothes", while cute, they are a pain to get on & off a small baby.

Swings & bouncy chairs - both of my babies hated them all. So many people love them but they were a waste of money for us. I would only buy one of each until you see if they like them.

Bumbo seats for later. Couldn't live without them. So handy to plop a baby down anywhere. Definitely worth the money for me!

Good Luck!! [​IMG]

11. RRTwins

RRTwins Well-Known Member

I loved my Double Snap-N-Go stroller and I also have a Duoglider. The Double Snap-N-Go is great for the first 7-8 months when they are still in infant carriers. It is just a stroller frame that you can easily place most infant carriers on to create a stroller. It was absolutely wonderful. It folds up very small for easy storage in a car trunk and is incredibly fast and easy to set up. Then you just remove your infant carseat, place it on the frame, and fasten the straps. I could get all set up in a matter of minutes with this stroller, without bothering my sleeping babies. When the boys outgrew their infant car seats, I was very sad to have to put the Double Snap-N-Go away. Now we are using the Duoglider and it works fine too. However, it is much bulkier and more difficult to set up in my opinion. I would buy the Double Snap-N-Go again in a heartbeat.

12. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Double Snap & Go (for first ~5 months)
    Mountain Buggy Urban Double jogging stroller (after that)
    swing (we only had one, but two would have been great if we had room)
    2 bouncy seats
    exersaucer (after 4 months)
    Pack & Play with changing table attachment (still our primary changing table -- I'll be so sad when they outgrow it)
    Miracle Blankets
    about 2 dozen bottles

Edited to add: One thing that truly saved us was a Pilates exercise ball. Our night nanny (oh yeah, that's another thing we loved -- the night nanny!) suggested bouncing on it to soothe the babies. We would swaddle them, hold them tight, and bounce -- it worked way better than the glider, though they liked that too.

We have 2 cribs, but for the first ~4 months they mostly slept in swing & bouncy seat.

We didn't cosleep or wear them -- we tried a sling, but it felt awkward and they didn't like it, and the Baby Bjorn killed my back after they hit 10 lbs or so. I wish we'd had an Ergo carrier, but I didn't hear of them until they were practically walking anyway.

I quit BF at 5 weeks, so I had a EZ-2-nurse-twins pillow and an expensive pump that I barely used. I would suggest renting a pump for the first month or two, even if you are certain you're going to BF. Also, a hospital-grade pump is much more efficient, which is important when BF twins.

We barely use our diaper bag at all, strangely enough. When we go out, I usually just stick the essentials in my backpack (which I take everywhere anyway). What we really needed (but never really had) was an insulated bag, like one of those lunch-bag things, that we could put bottles in. The pockets in the diaper bag are never big enough for two bottles plus a cold pack.

13. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

My two faves are my diaper bags. I have the Lands End backpack which is great for longer trips or to keep in the car. Then I have my Skip Hop Duo stroller bag which is great for quick outings or for everyday errands.

I also loved my Double Snap N Go and travel swings. They were small and didn't take up tons of space!