TV Shows Similar to Little Bear

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Lydia, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Lydia

Lydia Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone,
    I haven't been here in a very long time. It's summertime here and we've been busy. Unfortunately, our On Demand TV just stopped having Little bear on demand, and it's been a disaster. It's the only show the kids like and it's part of our night time routine. We don't watch anything else. I don't like many of the shows out there because of various reasons. I don't like annoying voices or sounds, sorcery type themes, weird characters, or monsters. My children are somewhat afraid of things like that and are even afraid of a few Little Bear episodes. Now that we don't have Little Bear I am wanting to introduce them to another show similar to Little Bear. Any suggestions? Am I the only parent out there completely dumbfounded at the programs on television for toddlers?
    Thanks for all your help.

2. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

I haven't ever watched Little Bear, so I don't really know what it's like. My girls really like Busytown Mysteries which are on CBS on Saturday mornings. We DVR them and watch them all week long. They also like Little Einsteins on the Disney channel. PBS Kids shows are decent as well.

3. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

Oh, and I don't know if you can still find it, but Jack's Big Music Show is awesome. I think you can download episodes of nearly anything I've mentioned from iTunes.

4. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think Franklin is quite similar to Little Bear.

5. AandI

AandI Active Member

We like Little Bear too and I like that it is calm and nice! I'm wondering if you have checked out Wonder Pets? It has pretty good stories and is pretty cute. Each episode has an animal the preschool class pets have to save. Another I just thought of is Miss Spider's Sunny Patch, I think that's the name. I really haven't watched that but it is also based on a book series like Little Bear so may be somewhat similar.

6. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Franklin is neat as well... I guess you don't have a DVR and Nick Jr? Little Bear is on most days I think.

7. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

My kids love Franklin & Little Bear. Have you checked your local library?

My kids love Franklin & Little Bear. Have you checked your local library?

8. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

Mine have never gotten into Little Bear but they love Caillou. It is very tame and appropriate for kids in this age group. I also agree that Wonder Pets is a fun show bi actually enjoy watching it with my kids. Another quiet tame show that might be good for bedtime is Thomas.

9. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

Another recommendation here for Caillou. I like it and so do my kids.

10. SMax

SMax Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest Caillou, too!

11. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Little Bear used to be the only TV show I'd let my kids watch too! Then I found Dinosaur Train and I like that even better. It's gentle and educational in the same way as Little Bear - and actually less scary. I think there's only been one DT episode that somewhat scared my kids, and LB had several. Dinosaur Train is on PBS, and I've found it on demand through Netflix (haven't tried via the TV).

Also, I haven't seen the Franklin show, but love the books - it seems very similar to Little Bear as well.

12. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Miffy is another show that is gentle (and super cute- claymation little bunnny!). Its on PBS.

13. mummy2two

mummy2two Well-Known Member

I echo all the prior suggestions. I wanted to add Oswald to the list. Here is the show summary:

Oswald and his friends live in Big City, a fantasy New York City-like city where many of the buildings and vehicles are shaped like everyday objects. Oswald is a large blue octopus (four arms, four legs) who lives in an apartment complex with Henry the Penguin and several other animals including a turtle named Buster. A very gentle, polite and big-hearted octopus, Oswald is always willing to go out of his way to help his friends. His favorite hobby is playing the piano and singing. He sometimes says "Oh, my gosh!" in some episodes. Oswald always wears a life preserver when he is around water and loves Swizzleberry Swirl ice cream. Oswald is also known for using his Bathtub to make Birthday Cakes for his friends.

14. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I've never seen Little Bear, but my kids loved Caillou. There's also Bear in the Big Blue House, which is very gentle.

What do you mean by "weird characters"? Would Sesame Street be OK or are there too many monsters (even if they're nice monsters)?

My kids are scared by just about everything (or at least they were until at least age 4), and we watched a lot of Elmo. They also like Wonder Pets, but they manage to be scared by that occasionally (if the Wonder Pets are saving some friend who is in peril). Also, I'm not sure they would have understood it at your kids' age.

15. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

the only thing about Caillou is that Caillou is a whiny, nasty little brat when he doesn't get his way and I've had friends ban it because their children started acting like him...

there is also LIttle Bill - its written by Bill Cosby and Phylicia Rashad is the voice of the mom...

16. tinalb

I agree.

You know who else I find horrible? Ruby from Max & Ruby, she is just mean.

17. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Ooooh, I hate Ruby too. She really IS mean. I don't like Olivia either... Too bossy and entitled. If Caillou is anything like either of them, I don't think we'll try!

18. tinalb

I'm not a fan of Olivia, either, although L&L do like to watch that one. They also like Peppa Pig and, because of those two shoes, they have started talking in British accents off & on. It is so funny!

19. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

I LOVE Oswald! I bought the DVDs because it went off of Netflix. We have always loved Blues Clues...well, I have. They are over it now. :( We went through a Caillou phase - thank goodness that is done. Another recent one we found was Fireman Sam. Good luck. :)

20. lola5

lola5 Well-Known Member

If you're a fan of shows like Little Bear, you might enjoy exploring options on Netflix. In case you encounter any issues with your streaming experience, Netflix customer service can provide assistance. It's wonderful to have platforms that offer a variety of content suitable for different preferences, making it easier to discover new favorites. Happy watching!