Trying to help my lo with constipation

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by kellytwinmom, Jul 24, 2008.

1. kellytwinmom

kellytwinmom Well-Known Member

I haven't really introduced sippy cups yet but I have one that is have a bit of trouble going to the bathroom. She still goes but it is not as much as before.

I have tried to give her a little diluted apple juice, pear, prune...she doesn't like it! I finally gave some in her bottle (which I think is a no-no right? only milk in their bottles?) and she still just let it all drop out of her mouth.

Are there any other suggestions?

2. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

I've read posters put a couple of ounces of pear juice in with their formula. I think they just wanted to have babies get the juice they needed to get everything out of their systems. I'm sure more with weigh in :hug99: .

3. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

Have you tried water?

Also if she is eating solids, prunes or pears might help, stay away from rice, bananas and applesauce they are all binding.

Then there is the old doctor trick, use the thermometer, it always makes them poop at the doc's office. :blush:

Good luck!!

4. shelley79

shelley79 Well-Known Member

We add a little bit of Karo syrup to their bottles, and it works like a charm! Also, if it is a chronic problem, there is a laxative called Miralax that used to be prescription but is now over-the-counter, and it is safe for babies. I would ask your pedi about it if this problem keeps coming up. Good luck!

5. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

QUOTE(cohlee @ Jul 24 2008, 09:07 AM) [snapback]893744[/snapback]
    Have you tried water?

Also if she is eating solids, prunes or pears might help, stay away from rice, bananas and applesauce they are all binding.

Then there is the old doctor trick, use the thermometer, it always makes them poop at the doc's office. :blush:

Good luck!!

This is exactly what I was going to say!! Prunes works like a charm every time!

6. TFine

TFine Well-Known Member

1oz. of pear juice mixed in the formula instead of an oz. of water. Works wonders.

7. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

We were told to add 1/2 tsp of karo syrup to 1 or 2 bottles a day until the problem is resolved. we ended up doing it every day for several weeks because my son always had trouble going. We were using the target brand soy formula for him, which we found to be very constipating. We switched to isomil and he's been fine without the karo syrup. Anyway, the dr. said it was safe to use daily if it helped.

8. xavier2001

xavier2001 Well-Known Member

prunes, apricots, and peaches keep my DS regular, we have peaches every morning with breakfast and haven't had an issue since.

9. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

My girls are over 2 and I still keep baby prunes in the house because they work EVERYTIME! Also, you could perhaps try giving them some juice in a dropper as though you were giving them medicine. Just place it on the inside of the back of the check. Just another thought.

10. Beb

Beb Well-Known Member

I agree with many of the PP. I've used karo. I give prunes and pears. I don't know if you are giving your LOs cereal yet as they aren't 6 months yet, but I always put at least 1 tablespoon of prune juice when I'm mixing their oatmeal.

HTH!!!

11. twins2008

twins2008 Well-Known Member

Our first try was one tablespoon of Karo Syrup for 2 ounces of formula, 2x a day.. Then we went to 2 ounces of prune juice undiluted in the bottle 2x a day. Now we are giving half a capful of Miralax mixed in with their formula 1x a day, can give 2x if needed. It seems to be working well. My babies wouldn't drink the prune juice and DD would throw up if she actually drank it. The dr had said not to dilute it and not to give other juices because of the sugar content. Mine are younger than yours though. GL

Jen

12. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

I went from cereal to cereal with pears about 3 days later. Every morning I give them either pears, figs, oatmeal, paw paw, prunes, or a combination. I try to work towards a poop every morning to keep them on a schedule.

Heather