Trying to decide...

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Trishandthegirls, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

DH would like to go hiking for his birthday. He's picked a hike that will take us from 7am - 4pm (including driving time). It's not something that our three year olds could handle, so we'll need a babysitter for the entire day. My only option is a lovely 15 year old girl who lives down the street. She has babysat for us several times, but all in the evening where she played with the girls for an hour or so, got them ready for bed, and then sat around for two hours.

I have no idea if asking a teenager to handle my girls for an entire day is too much. I suspect none of you out there can tell me the right answer, but I'm really conflicted. I'd love to go on a hike. But I don't want to create a difficult situation for Zoe or for my girls. Ugh. My kids would wake up right about when she arrived at 7am, then spend the morning playing, lunch at noon, nap from 12:30 - 3 (if all goes as planned) and then play from 3-4.

Is that too much?

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have a month on sitter city if you would like to borrow my log in. :)

3. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I would only be ok with a 15 y.o. taking care of my kids all day, if her mom was around and available in case the 15 y.o. needed some help. Otherwise, I'd rather leave my kids with someone older and more experienced, especially since its not like you can run home in 5 minutes if something happens. Just my opinion though.

4. frickandfrack

frickandfrack Well-Known Member

Personally, I would not feel comfortable leaving a 15 year old with 3-year old twins for that period of time. Imagine the days when things don't go according to plan. Would the sitter be able to handle it? What if there is an emergency? Even if she calls 911, she would still have to manage the situation with the other twin. I have done many solo trips to the ER with a twin in tow and would not will that on anyone [that I am not related to].

How about another Mom or Grandmother?

Best of luck!

5. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

These are my thoughts. If mom's around to help out I'd have no problem.

6. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Thanks all... Bex, I was about to ask for your Sittercity login, but got a return call from the girl's assistant teacher, who graciously agreed to come out and babysit. I couldn't ask for a better sitter - she knows Piper and Cricket, is awesome with them, and has classroom responsibility for lots of kids, so I'm sure she can handle just my two!

7. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

That is GREAT news!!!!

FWIW, I don't know if I could leave mine for the day with someone that age either, unless they knew my girls VERY well.

8. jodyclemens

jodyclemens Member

I have a 16 year old who babysits my kids when my husband and I go out, and I always tell her to bring a friend. I feel so much comfortable when she does, because I know how much work it can be alone. Glad it worked out for you though! Having toddler twins makes every outing just a little more challenging. :)