true confessions

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by miss_bossy18, Oct 3, 2010.

?

how well do/did your 2 year olds really sleep?

1. they wake at least once, if not more times, every night

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  2. they wake at least once a night, several (3-6) times a week

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. they wake at least once a night, a couple (1-2) times a week

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. they rarely wake at night

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  5. they only wake at night if their routine is disrupted (illness, teething, vacation, etc)

14 vote(s)
    31.1%
  6. they never wake at night

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  7. other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

alright folks - i want the straight goods. how well did/do your 2 year olds actually sleep? my girls wake at least once a night most nights - usually, they just have gotten tangled in their blanket or something & a quick re-tuck & a kiss solves the problem. but i'm wondering if that's unusual or not. :pardon:

2. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

My two have only gotten up (not counting when they were babies and still eating at night) when they were sick OR very loud thunder. :rolleyes: Other then that they don't get up that often. :good: I do go in immediately only because they call me with the loudest voice ever. :lol: I'm sure it sounds loud at 3 AM but it scares me out of my sleep and I instantly go up there.

3. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

Mine pretty much only wake in the night if there's something going on. If they're loud enough for me to hear, I usually respond to them. If it's whimpering or something over the monitor, I usually wait a bit. But, it depends on if they're sick...then I typically go in regardless. However, if they whine for a little bit, I always go in. That being said, I don't know how people do it who still have kids waking in the night! When my boys actually DO wake in the night (like last week, when one had to pee), I'm all disoriented & off for the rest of the night/next day. I don't know how I functioned when they were newborns!

4. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Great question on the morning I was sleeping on the floor on an air mattress for 2.5 hours because Finley just would not go back to sleep last night! :laughing:

I'd estimate that I have someone wake up between 2-4 times/week. Sometimes it is just a quick "cover me back up" - other times (rarely now) it is what happened last night - someone wakes up and can't fall back asleep, so if I try to leave they get upset and cry, so I pull out the good old air mattress I keep in there and curl up and go to sleep and so do they (in their bed). I don't know when I'll ever get rid of that air mattress! :)

5. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

Mine sleep through the night completely, and only wake up if they are sick - and even then I barely hear from them. So, I would say I have gotten up in the middle of the night probably 6 times this year, and that is only because I hear them coughing and I go in and give them a drink of water (they dont ask for it tho), or tylenol or something. If mine do yell for me (which is rare) I go in immediately (I think this has not happened since they were 8months old tho!).

6. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

Mine rarely wake up. On a rare occasion it's because they dropped their loveys somewhere and they woke up needing it and can't find it. Usually they just go back to sleep on their own, but I'll go in if they seem to be really upset about it. Usually if they wake up, however, it's because they are sick. I'll go in if it's because they are sick. They both have a tendency towards croup so I like to listen. Usually they sleep well with croup, but I still like to know if that is bothering them. If they are fine and not croupy, I will only go in once or twice. Beyond that, they have to figure it out on their own.

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine very rarely wake up, if they do, it's because of a nightmare, illness/teething or sleeping a new place. Depending on the situation, I will go in to check on them but I am very fortunate that they do go back to sleep pretty quickly.

8. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

A&R only woke up for fevers.

Notice I said "woke" because as soon as they turned 3, they learned that they could wake up and play at 3:45!! It's getting old.

9. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My boys, rarely, if ever wake up at night. And when they do-I never go in unless it's a blood curdling scream of, "I NEED TO PEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" But-that's never in the middle of the night.

I can count on one hand when they both woke due to illness, and that was just two weeks ago. They have never woken up when sick(just fevers-and that's only if it came on in the middle of the night). There are times when they wake and cry out for whatever reason-but dh and I don't go in there. We would know by their cries if something was wrong, and usually when they wake like that they are dreaming-or something!

10. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I'm with the waking up crowd. They wake up now more than they did a year ago. It's crazy!

DD will call out if she can't find her paci within .9 seconds on waking up. :aggressive: And scream if we don't come help.
    That's annoying.

But she's also started talking in her sleep. And that's why we wake up 80% of the time. Last night she started saying something swinging. (They played on a swing set at BIL's house yesterday.) Sometimes she'll wake up and want to know where her brother is. It's weird. And I hope it stops soon!

Edited to add:
    DS only wakes up if DD wakes him up, he's not feeling well, or he's had a bad dream. It's not very often thankfully!

11. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls only wake up if they are sick for the most part. A couple of times Lily had a bad dream and got scared in the night, but a night light helped with that. I go in immediately if I hear them upset b/c it's so unusual for them to wake up.

12. brlowe

brlowe Well-Known Member

Mine never wake up in the middle of the night. Of course now that I've actually typed that, I'm sure they will get up tonight. <_< Of course from newborn to age 1, I felt like I was up all night, so this is a nice change.

13. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

Mine rarely wake up in the middle of the night. But it does happen and it's usually because they are sick or a bad dream. I also go in immediately because it doesn't happen often and it normally startles me so I jump out of bed.

14. twinmom2dana

twinmom2dana Well-Known Member

Mine didn't but we recently moved and with that came a new house, new bedroom and seperate beds so they started waking in the night looking for me or each other. Now its maybe once a night a couple times a week and I go immediately(as fast as I can at 9 mos preggo :lazy: ) because it is usually a lost paci or something. I find the bink or rub a back and am back to bed within a few minutes. Fine by me cuz I usually have to pee at some point :blink: Now I will admit if one of them wakes when I only have an hr or so b4 I have to get up, and they seem more awake, I put them in the bed with me :angel: I need all the sleep I can get!

15. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

Ava wakes up at least once a night, it is almost like she is afraid she is missing something by sleeping! I do get up and go in there because she gets up screaming and will wonder around the house going everywhere except my bedroom looking for me! Addison rarely gets up anymore if she does I know she has either wet the bed or is sick so yes I go straight in there to see. Ava is also a night owl, she can stay up all night - not even the car puts her to sleep. She also gets up early and naps rarely. Addison goes to bed early and gets up early but will take a 2 or 3 hour nap most everyday! I have done everything the same but their sleep habits are SO different! Ava will not sleep without Addison in the bed with her, Addison could care less - just let her sleep! Ava has to wear a pull up at night although she does not sleep very deeply a feather could fall in the forest and she is up and ready to play. Addison has only wet the bed twice (both times she had drank a good bit of water right before bed) and she sleeps so deep that not even Ava's screaming and climbing over her wakes her up!!

16. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Mine aren't two and they still get up in the middle of the night. The past two nights I have been up no less than two times. I have a sticker chart set up and the girls get stickers for staying in their bed all night, or for using the potty and not getting me up to help. It has helped tremendously because they know they get a trip to TRU when it's full and we NEVER go there. The past two nights are the first time in about two months that they have woken me up. I must say, though, I have gotten lazy on giving the girls their stickers so I think that has contributed a great deal, so it's time to get back on the chart!

17. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

My girls took forever to start STTN, but once they did (around 13 months) they haven't gotten up since. There are only 2 times that I can think of that they got up, and one of them Kaylyn was sleep walking (so she wasn't really up), and the other time was because of what I figured was a bad dream because she woke up screaming.

18. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

We've had our phases of sleep disruption (mainly with Jack), but right now and for the past year or so they really only wake about 1-2 times per week. I never rush right in, because most of the time they give a few cries then go back to sleep. Occasionally I will hear Jack laughing in the middle of the night :blink: which is annoying, but doesn't involve me getting out of bed. :lol:

19. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I said never because they've only woken up twice since 2.

20. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

At 2, mine were both still waking up most nights. I picked other for what I would do when they wake because they would wake up in the night, get out of bed, crawl into my bed & go back to sleep. I would wake up & they would be sleeping beside me. :lol: Now, at 4, Lila rarely ever wakes in the night. Luke will still get up & crawl in bed with me if he wakes up, which is less & less often now, but still happens about once a week, more if he is sick.

21. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

My one son never wakes during the night (or naps for that matter). The one time I can think of is when they had croup a few months ago.

If my other son does not get enough sleep, he will wake during the night but usually puts himself back to sleep within a minute or two.

I rarely have to go in there when they wake.

22. Fossie

Fossie Well-Known Member

I hesitate to type this because that surely means it will change but with the exception of one night terror a couple of weeks ago, mine don't wake at all. If there is a brief wake-up or whimper we don't go in there, though so I don't really know how often that happens.

23. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

At 2 we were going through a rough time with Meara. She would wake up a couple times a week and would not settle back to sleep. We got into a bad pattern of putting her in a pnp in our room or one of sleeping in the chair in her room. It was awful. We finally started timing her out for it (putting her in a pnp in the living room) and then she got 2 TOs before we left her to sleep in the pnp in the living room. For the last year (2 1/2 to 3/2) things have been much better. It might be coincidence, but it coincided with us moving the girls into toddler beds.

I may, however have unravelled the whole damn thing last night :drown: She woke up because the wind was scaring her and instead of doing the TO routine, I let her sleep on the floor of our bedroom. I thought she'd balk at that and go back to bed, but she called my bluff and I might have just screwed up a year-long good thing. :crazy: :80:

24. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

Somebody wakes up I'd say 2-3 nights a week. It's more often mark then Eli, but last night Eli was up and whining, complaining about his nose (which was a fake).

I'm gonna have to start the sticker chart like Rachel because I'm so tired of this. In the meant time I've got a 4 month old waking about 5 times a night. Lord help me because I'm about to lose my dam* mind.

25. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

All last (school) year, my girls slept through the night every night. Starting in June, Karina went through some weird separation anxiety or something and ever since then the girls have been waking up at least once a night. Usually Karina wakes up once (or twice) and Annelise wakes up once, but not at the same time. It's worse than when they were infants getting up every 3 hours. Thankfully, they do go back to sleep immediately, but I have to get up to tuck them back in. Last night was the first night in FOREVER that they actually both slept all night, but of course I had to wake up three times to pee and I was awake for no particular reason from 2-4 a.m. so I still didn't get a decent night's sleep. :(

26. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

ugh. that is the worst. :grr: it always goes that way here too. :hug:

27. brookbranplus2

brookbranplus2 Well-Known Member

I'm so jelious of all the good sleepers. My guys sleep through the night consistantly form 8 months on but when I potty trained them 6 months ago sleep has never been the same! I usually have one get up 4 or 5 times a week. Sometimes twice a night! It's not that he can't hold it it's just an accuse. More recently they are now having fears so some times when they wake up they say they are scared :(

28. andrew/kaitlyn/smom

andrew/kaitlyn/smom Well-Known Member

Someone in my house is up just about every night (this includes the older two, but they only wake up on the nights that no one else is, just to make me crazy). Usually it's one of my little ones, and she's started just crawling in with us. As long as I don't have to get out of bed, I'm fine with that arrangement. And DH knows that if it bothers him to have her in bed with us, then he needs to be the one to get up and take care of her :)

29. Username

Username Well-Known Member

I'm voting with 3 year olds in mind but said they wake at least once a night every night. I don't go to them at all, they come to me! I usually don't even hear them until someone is crawling into my bed. Usually someone else follows a few minutes later. This happens about 11 and I carry them back to their own beds. It happens around 3 or 4am also, when I tend to let them just stay in my bed. This morning however I took one back to her bed and she slept for another 4 hours! I think I'll be trying that tomorrow morning with both of them!