traveling for turkey day

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Leighann, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, Since our first trip with the ladies went so well this summer, we have just booked another trip for thanksgiving. This time we are being adventuresome and have a connecting flight (actually we have no choice unless we want to fly and then drive 5 hours).

When we traveled over the summer the girls had just started eating solids, but not every day. So when we went away I think we gave them some sweet potatoes two of the nights we were there. DH and one of SILs each held a girl and I fed them. Now they get two meals a day and I won't have access to a high chair. Oh and we are staying with one of my SILs who is fantastic, but is a total clean freak. I'm a little worried about it actually because Ana is still spitting up all over the place, the girls are mobile, and her house is immaculate with white carpets. Seriously, how is this going to work?! She says she is excited, has had other nieces and nephews stay over, but I feel like I should feed the girls out on her back deck, but since its north dakota in november I don't think that will work.

Back to my point (sorry for that brief freak out)... If you don't travel with a high chair, how do you feed your kiddos? I can't imagine having two people always available to hold the girls while I feed them twice a day every day. We may or may not bring the stroller because DH's sister has a jogger we can use while there. But there is no way in h*** my SIL will allow that in her house and I can't seriously feed my babies outside! Anyone ever use those baby equipment rental services? I looked at one online for another trip we are taking in January, but maybe they have something in ND.

Thanks for any advice you can give me! -Leighann

2. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I have never heard of baby equipment rental. Wow, you learn something new everyday?? ;) But when I travelled by plane with only my older DD at that age I put a portable booster seat with tray in my carry on luggage. The Fisher Price one is pretty compact. Just a thought. Congrats to you for being so brave to travel to ND for T-giving. Go Leighann Go!! Are you taking your precious new stroller with you?? LOL!!

3. iluvpugs44109

iluvpugs44109 Well-Known Member

Definitely RENT. What a life saver that is. Then you don't have to worry about anything. You can rent stollers, high chairs even cribs. Call way ahead of time to reserve!!

4. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Yeah, I looked into it as well. Here is their website it's called babys away.

Also, have family look at 2nd hand stores for toys etc. and then you can resell them!!

5. devmac2003

devmac2003 Well-Known Member

We used a portable swing, and we had little portable feeding chairs that could either attach to the table and we had the kind that attached to seats. All of them fit into our luggage.

Ya know, don't freak out about your little one spitting up,,,,carpets can be cleaned,,,keep her in a bib and everything will be fine

6. AWerner

AWerner Well-Known Member

I just bought 2 of these the babies do pretty well in them and they fold pretty flat. they cannot be used on all tables though, namely glass top.

7. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Leighann @ Oct 22 2007, 07:45 PM) [snapback]462577[/snapback]
    Oh and we are staying with one of my SILs who is fantastic, but is a total clean freak. I'm a little worried about it actually because Ana is still spitting up all over the place, the girls are mobile, and her house is immaculate with white carpets.

Holy cow, are you going to my mom's house? :laughing: Sorry but that truly did make me laugh because I have felt the SAME way. I asked my mom ahead of time how we should handle messes from the girls. I did explain they were mobile and spitting up (even more so, I thought). She showed me how to wipe it up without spreading the stain, and then she worked on it from there.

Maybe you can call your SIL and explain that you are so excited to stay with her but need to know how to clean up after your ever-spitting up babies. This way you can feel comfortable about knowing how much she wants you to be crazy-clean like her and she will hopefully also get the hint that you may leave a few memories for her. Good luck and have fun!!

8. mandyfish3

mandyfish3 Well-Known Member