Traveler's Choice: Top 25 Destinations of 2011

Discussion in 'General' started by Twinrific, May 5, 2011.

1. Twinrific

Twinrific Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Have a look! I'm Happy to see South Africa (Cape Town) is on the top of the list. Maybe this year I get to meet some Twinstuffers ;)

Some great destinations on there. To which ones have you been to? Unfortunately I can only tick off Cape Town of all the 25 listed, would love to see the rest someday!

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I've only been to NYC and Las Vegas. I would love to someday go to all of those places listed. Maybe when I hit that mythical powerball lottery!

3. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Paris and NYC are it for me. Now I have a few more destinations to add to my bucket list!

So, when we come to South Africa are you putting us all up?

4. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

. I've been to four of them. NYC, Vegas, Rome, Florence. Someday maybe some of the others! I'm waiting on Nancy's lotto win! ;)

5. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I have been to NY that's it.

6. Twinrific

If you bring tents, sure! :p :lol: ;)

Meaghan I like your idea of using Nancy's lotto money!

7. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

San Francisco and Las Vegas are the only ones for me... So many beautiful places out there!

8. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I've only been to four--There are so many in Europe and I've never been there.

Machu Pichu, NYC, Kyoto, and Buenos Aires for me.

9. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

Paris, France
    New York City, NY
    Rome, Italy
    London, United Kingdom
    Venice, Italy
    Florence, Italy

My favorite of those is Venice. I would love to go back someday. The place on the list I haven't visited and would like to is Barcelona, Spain & Cape Town, South Africa. So, Brenda.....when are you making room for us all?!?!?!

10. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

NYC and Vegas. Dang, I need to travel more. :umm: I'll have to have a serious discussion with the hubby about this. :lol:

Brenda, I'd come visit you immediately but according to the websites it would cost us about $5,000 in plane tickets. :faint: How about we meet half way in Italy? :lol:

11. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

What .. NO Disney World ?? :search:

I've been to NYC and Vegas .. but would love to go to Europe !

1 person likes this.
  12. Twinrific

oooh I can do that! Now we just need Nancy to win the lotto to make it all possible for us! It's crazy how expensive it is to travel :( However with the Rand/Dollar exchange you'll be sitting pretty once you get here ;)

:lol: Michelle I'm starting to get an inkling you like Disney world? Must be my extremely good 6th sense...

13. Anna3

Anna3 Well-Known Member

I've been to seven of them.
    Paris, NY City, Las Vegas, Jerusalem, London, St.Petersburg and San Francisco. Each of those are amazing places, but if I had to choose number one, I would pick St. Petersburg or Jerusalem.

14. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

Rio, New York, London, Prague, Venice (but does it count if I was a baby?), San Francisco and Las Vegas.
    So many from my bucket list are on there. Sydney, St Petersburg, Machu Pichu, Cape Town...I could go on and on.

15. TwinPeshi

TwinPeshi Well-Known Member

Sydney, Paris, Rio de Janeiro, New York, London, Venice for me. I've been to New Zealand but not Queenstown.

To be honest, I find these lists to be a bit useless because they don't really account for taste. I like going to places that are not well known, especially those that are difficult to get to, and they never appear on these lists. I also tend to prefer spending my holidays outside cities.

16. KStorey

KStorey Well-Known Member

Yay New Zealand made the list!!! I've been to a few ... Queenstown NZ (of course), Sydney Australia, London UK, Paris France, Venice Italy, Rome Italy, Barcelona Spain, and Florence Italy. I would love to go to St Petersburg but That will have to wait until all the kids have left home unfortunately. My favourite place to visit would have to be Italy. Not so much the main tourist areas but the quiet villages. I loved my times there.

17. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

I've been to NYC and driven through Vegas. That's it. How sad is that??!

I have a tent that will sleep 8 (for my family of 5, plus two dogs!). It might need it's own plane ticket though.

Winning the lottery is my answer to all my major stressors in life. I'm always hoping to win the lottery. The fact that I never actually buy a ticket probably has something to do with the fact that I never win! :unknw:

18. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I have been to Jerusalem, Rome, London and (of course) NYC. It does help that I have lived within 1 1/2 hours of NYC for most of my life :)

19. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Same here! I'll say "just a little wind-fall, maybe $100,000" (btw, I have a friend who did win that much) and Paul just reminds me that I have to play to win. I am waaaay to cheap to spend my money on lotto tickets, though. :)

20. TwinPeshi

TwinPeshi Well-Known Member

Buying lottery tickets slightly increases your chances of winning something but you are actually more likely to break-even not buying any than if you do buy lottery tickets ;).

21. Anneke

Anneke Well-Known Member

Paris, NYC, Rome, London, Barcelona (awesome!), Venice...

But man, apart from NYC that's all pretty close to here!

22. Anneke

Anneke Well-Known Member

Btw, if you'd ever visit Belgium (which I'd think would be unlikely, but you never know) I would not recommend Bruges. Go to Leuven instead, it is much much much nicer and I'll give you a couch to crash in.

23. TwinRichard

TwinRichard Well-Known Member

I quite like Brugge and think it is well worth a visit. They are also different types of cities. Brugge is a port city while Leuven is not. Speaking of Belgium, I think one of the most interesting places in Belgium is Baarle-Hertog is particularly well worth a visit for people who live in (or are from) countries with heavily fortified borders.

24. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

Brenda, your yard will be full of tents!!! once Nancy wins, I am packing my bags too LOL!!!

25. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

wow Brenda!! You are good!!! Now, can you give Nancy some winning lottery numbers!??

26. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Only NYC and Vegas. I need to stop working so hard and finally go all the places I want to go!

27. Anneke

Anneke Well-Known Member

I'm just saying that if there is only one Belgian city you're gonna visit while doing a Europe tour, I would advise Leuven more than Bruges. I know it is beautiful and even idyllic, but it is not in my top 5 of places to visit in our country. That's all. I know Bruges is popular with Americans though.

28. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

Have been to Cape Town, Sydney, Paris, NY, Rome, London, Barcelona, live in Hong Kong (;), Kyoto, Jerusalem, Siem Reap, Buenos Aires, Florence (as a young child) and San Francisco. And many other great places!

29. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

I think Bruges is lovely. I went again last year when we travelled home to Europe (my parents live in Belgium). Also Antwerp, Brussels, Ghent (great too) ... Leuven is nice too but I don't think you should skip Bruges. We were there during the week, in July but still very manageable, even with 3 kids! Europe has many great places, not all of them are great during the summer months. You'd better go off season.

30. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I've been to Paris, NYC, Rome, London, Venice, St Petersburg, Florence, San Francisco, and Las Vegas.

Of the others on the Top 25 list, I'd really really really like to visit Machu Picchu and Siem Reap. Maybe someday...

31. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I've been to NYC, Rome, London, Venice, Florence and Las Vegas. Lots of others on that list I'd like to see.

32. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

I've only every been to Vegas! We are traveling to Barcelona in June for my husband's leave. We also only live 2 hours from Prague, but I don't want to take my children there so we are waiting to travel there until we find a good babysitter. I like looking at these lists. I've already seen some truly amazing places in Germany that it amazes me how much of the world I haven't seen yet and how diverse it all is.

33. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

From that list, I've been to Paris, Venice, Hawaii (lived there as a toddler and don't remember), San Francisco and Las Vegas. And I've been quite a few other places not on the list that I loved. The last 2 I listed were not on my favorites list at all. So I imagine that it really depends on the experiences you have there.

34. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I have been to Paris, NYC, Rome, London, Kyoto, Prague, Venice, Florence and San Francisco. My favourite from the list is Rome, followed very closely by Kyoto.

35. mommyto3girls

mommyto3girls Well-Known Member

I have been to Sydney, NYC, Honolulu, Las Vegas and Grand Cayman. Grand Cayman was a stop off on a cruise so I didn't see very much.