Travel during twin pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by jesstheca, Jun 5, 2007.

1. jesstheca

jesstheca Well-Known Member

Hi friends,

I will be taking a flight cross country to see my family for the 4th of July and to take one last trip as a childless adult. I will be 24 weeks pregnant and when I asked my OB if the trip would be okay he said yes. I'm still a little worried about the trip and being obscenely big and uncomfortable. What was the latest that any of you traveled by air? When did you decide to stop travel altogether?

Thanks!

2. pgwithtwins

pgwithtwins Well-Known Member

I am only 16 weeks this week but I am taking my last trip this weekend. I am taking DD and we are visiting a family friend who lives about 5 hours away. I am already too uncomfortable to want to go anywhere after that. I will only be going an hour or so after that since DH family all live about that far away. Otherwise I am home. Maybe I am crazy but I just don't want to sit in a car that long.....or have the trip take twice as long with potty breaks! :D But flying may be different too. I wish I could afford to fly to see my mom one last time before the twins get here but that is not a possibility.

Good luck to you!

3. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

The last (only) time I flew was 16 weeks. I was completely comfortable. The last time I traveled by car was 27 weeks and I took it as easy as possible but I don't think I should have gone. I had some major cervical changes right after the trip and I can't help but think they were related. Given the situation again I probably would have set a personal cut off of 20 weeks for travel.

4. Hillybean

Hillybean Well-Known Member

I flew to Vegas in March for a last weekend trip. I had the babies in the middle of July. I wasn't that uncomfortable - just restless.

5. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I traveled from Massachusetts to San Francisco last May when I was 25 weeks. It was definitely doable and, like you, I was nervous. I am SO glad I went, because who knows when/if I would ever get there again. I do have to say it was tough because I love to travel and see everything and go, go, go, so the hardest part for me was realizing that I wasn't the person I used to be and had to slow down. Just drink tons of water and allow yourself a good chunk of time to rest during the day. Have fun!

6. jesstheca

jesstheca Well-Known Member

Thans everyone for sharing!