Transitions

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by agolden, Jun 11, 2008.

1. agolden

agolden Well-Known Member

I must say, the transition from formula to milk is going really well (just started a couple of days ago) but I'm just pondering some of the fine tuning and I thought I'd ask you more experienced moms.

Do you have different kinds of sippies for water and milk so they know which one to go for?
    Do you only give milk at a meal or do they get the milk option whenever they want?
    Do you have different colour sippies for each kid so you have some idea how much milk they've drunk.
    It has been so important to me to keep track of how much formula they drank when they were little and not eating solids. Is it important how much milk they drink?
    Right now they wake at 6:00, I give a bottle at 6:30 and then breakfast at 7:30. If anybody else does/did a morning bottle before breakfast did you keep that up with a sippie of milk before breakfast or did you move breakfast earlier?
    Does anybody have a solution for the "fountain" trick. You know, taking a moutful and then letting it dribble or spurt out of their mouths completely soaking their clothes? I don't even want to give them a sippie in the car because they are going to get soaked!
    Is their a trick for keeping sippies IN the stroller and not thrown on the sidewalk?

Thanks

2. jschaad

jschaad Well-Known Member

I just took the bottle in the AM away... They get a sippy offered but refuse it alot which i expected... Breakfast is offered sooner now...

They get two bottles of milk/next step a day, one at nap and one at bedtime...

Sippies of Milk are in one cup and water/juice is in another cup... It helps me too so why would it not help them at least right now...

I never offer them sippies except in the high chair, they never just keep one with them...

good luck i hate transisitons!

3. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

Glad to hear things are going well!! :D

Do you have different kinds of sippies for water and milk so they know which one to go for? Yes they do have different ones for their milk and water. This is mainly because they don't always finish their milk/water and I just put it back in the fridge.

Do you only give milk at a meal or do they get the milk option whenever they want? Mine get milk in the AM about an hour before breakfast and after their nap, around 4pm. If they don't drink it all, I'll give it to them with their meal.

Do you have different colour sippies for each kid so you have some idea how much milk they've drunk. They have different color lids so they don't fight over the same sippy cup. :rolleyes: It also did help me to see who drank how much, this was mainly for my son who I was always worried about.

It has been so important to me to keep track of how much formula they drank when they were little and not eating solids. Is it important how much milk they drink? I was a big OZ. counter due to my sons reflux, and it took me a bit of time to get over it. My doctor recommended they drink 16-20 oz of milk, but if I couldn't get them to drink that, I could supplement it other ways... like with cheese, yogurt, etc. This helped me worry less about their milk intake.

Right now they wake at 6:00, I give a bottle at 6:30 and then breakfast at 7:30. If anybody else does/did a morning bottle before breakfast did you keep that up with a sippie of milk before breakfast or did you move breakfast earlier? We are still doing a sippy cup of milk before breakfast.

Does anybody have a solution for the "fountain" trick. You know, taking a moutful and then letting it dribble or spurt out of their mouths completely soaking their clothes? I don't even want to give them a sippie in the car because they are going to get soaked! I just ignored it and they eventually stopped it. :rolleyes:

Is their a trick for keeping sippies IN the stroller and not thrown on the sidewalk? :nea: not that I know of. :lol:

4. MrsBQ02

MrsBQ02 Well-Known Member

I don't have answers to most of your questions because I'm afraid we're not there yet- BUT the fountain trick- (great name for it BTW!) I discovered once I changed to the playtex sipsters this got better. I was using the nuby w/ silicone spouts. But I think those are SO easy to get liquid out of, that they pulled in more liquid than what they wanted, and thus it all drained out. We've really done well w/ the playtex cups. We're still doing separate bottles of milk I'm afraid. They won't take milk from a sippy, and I'm still not comfortable with them not getting much at this point!

Good luck! These transitions are TOUGH!

5. TFine

TFine Well-Known Member