Transitionning from bottles in general

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by smiley7, Nov 21, 2010.

1. smiley7

smiley7 Well-Known Member

Hi Ladies,

DD and DS are nearly 10.5 months. I've been trying to get them to use a sippy but all they do is stare at it and chew the rubber spout. I've tried a few different brands and made sure the vent is out, so the water flows and gives them some stimulus to suck. NOTHING. I even bought spill proof, plastic bottles thinking maybe they wanted a bottle shaped like their glass ones... NOTHING. The don't even seem that interested in feeding themselves liquid anything (solids are ok) but there doesn't seem to be any movement to hold their own bottle.

Any suggestions or stories that your kids took a while aquiring this skill?

Thanks.

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Have you tried the straw sippies? Those worked really well for my two. I also kept offering the sippy cup and they eventually got it. I did not drop bottles until they were 15 months and at the time they were still getting 3 a day...so I dropped a bottle a week starting with the bottle that they would miss the least (the afternoon one), then the AM one and lastly the bedtime one.

3. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I agree with the PP. My one guy was completely clueless when it came to sippies. I bought him a straw sippy with a hard spout, not the soft spout, it's by Heinz baby, and he got it almost right away. My oldest learned to use a sippy with the straw cup as well. My other guy though, uses the avent magic cup. He had no problem undertanding how to use it. Good luck

4. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

Mine still haven't gotten the concept of straw cups because they want to lift them! They were where your kids are and I was fearful I'd never be able to transition them. Then, all of a sudden, they figured it out right around their first birthday. Just keep offering and they will eventually figure it out :)

5. dreamer185

dreamer185 Active Member

We introduced sippy cups at around 6 months but they never got the hang of them. When they were around 10 months we tried the straw sippies and one got it right away, the other took a couple of weeks. They were so good after a month or so we could take them completely off the bottle right after their first birthday. And they never held their own bottles :)

6. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

We went cold turkey at one year from bottles to sippies, even though my guys hadn't been able to figure them out before then, and never held bottles. We just offered the sippy and helped them tip them back for a few days, and there was no looking back!