Transitioning to whole milk

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by kdanielleflowers, Dec 5, 2009.

1. kdanielleflowers

kdanielleflowers Well-Known Member

My girls will be 1 on the 17th of this month. The pedi has asked that I start the transition to whole milk and dropping bottles. I started Bettye Katheryne on whole milk yesterday and she's done fine, but her intake at each setting has dropped. She generally takes a 6 oz bottle and now she's taking between 2 and 4 at a setting. I know it's a big change, but I need to know that this is normal and her intake will increase over time. I'm upping her cheese and yogurt in the mean time.

TIA!

ps...I didnt' start Aurora because she's sick. I'll (hopefully) start her on Monday.

2. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Honestly it took me a couple weeks to realize they don't need to drink as much milk as formula. It isn't their main source of nutrition anymore so you are doing the right thing by upping the cheese and yogurt intake. Their milk is just a serving of dairy and they get all their nutrients from the varieties of food they are given:) That said...it took about a week for my boys to up their intake and now drink 10-20oz a day:)

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine went through the same thing. Those first days when they were on just milk, their intake dropped. You are definitely on the right track by upping the servings of other dairy products. Good luck! I hope Aurora feels better soon :hug:

4. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

Mine are about to go through the transition. We had kept them on formula until 18 months. That deadline is approaching in less than a month. So we will be moving to whole milk after that. It's going to be interesting since Kiefer is a little sensitive to some dairy.. too much cheese for example gives him some diarrhea. But he's fine with yogurt and some ice cream, so we'll just take it slow.

5. kdanielleflowers

kdanielleflowers Well-Known Member

Day two, so far, so good as far as any allergy or reactions go. She has started to spit it out at me the first few times I offer the bottle and will not drink milk in the sippy at the table, but she takes it happily after a few minutes. I guess it's an acquired taste?