Transitioning to fluoride toothpaste?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by rhc0607, Jul 17, 2011.

1. rhc0607

rhc0607 Well-Known Member

First off, this is my first post in the 2-4 year forum!!!

So I just don't know how to transition to fluoride toothpaste with the boys. They love brushing their teeth, but also loved sucking all the toothpaste off the brush. How do you teach them to brush and then spit out the toothpaste? TIA!!

2. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Honestly, I wouldn't even bother until they get closer to 3.5 or 4. My boys are 3.5 and just now really understand the concept of spitting out the toothpaste - and sometimes they still swallow it instead.

1 person likes this.
  3. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I agree with Jori. My girls were between 3 and 3 1/2 when we made the transition. We practiced spitting out the toddler toothpaste for awhile before I was confident and made the switch.

4. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

We also did this closer to 3 as I was concerned about their love of sucking all of the toothpaste off as well. I'm sure waiting awhile helped, but I was also surprised when it came time to transition. They liked being able to spit so much (usually a no-no) that it only took them a couple of days to get the hang of it. We too practiced spitting out the toddler toothpaste first. Oh getting new Toy Story toothpaste and toothbrushes like "big boys" helped convince them it was a good idea too.

5. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

My girls just started using fluoride toothpaste this past year.

6. sruth

sruth Well-Known Member

Same here...we just made the change last month after their 3rd birthday. I still put a very, very small amount because they still don't spit it out...

7. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We didn't switch until they were at least 4. Amy got the hang of spitting a little earlier, but Sarah just wasn't willing to try (she didn't like the feeling of spitting, I think -- she has always had oral/eating issues) for a long time. And it was easier to have them both using the non-fluoride toothpaste, although ironically now that they are both on fluoride toothpaste, they use different kinds! But at least they're old enough to keep track of it themselves.

Our dentist told us that if they're swallowing even a tiny bit of toothpaste (i.e., more than an adult would swallow by accident), it's too much and we should wait till they're ready.

8. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

I have not made the switch yet. I started to show them how to spit. Kiefer sometimes will do it, but Cameron will spit after he swallows the toothpaste. I am in no rush as my husband doesn't want them on fluoride toothpaste as long as we can hold them off. He hates fluoride. He doesn't even want the dentist to brush their teeth with fluoride or give them fluoride treatments. He's actually been trying to not use fluoride himself. He feels the mouthwash is good enough and we just need to keep after the boys' teeth brushing and floss (which I'm too scared to try. They move around so much, I'm afraid of pulling a tooth out or cutting them with the string).

9. rhc0607

rhc0607 Well-Known Member

Thank you ladies! Fluoride free it is!