transitioning from high chair to booster at the table

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ~ilyse~, Aug 25, 2008.

1. ~ilyse~

~ilyse~ Well-Known Member

We have done this in the past week. Dd is doing a little better than ds, but they both push away from the table with their feet. It is not ideal for them to eat this way and I am worried about their safety. We don't have a small table and chairs yet for them to eat at so this or the high chair is the only choice. Is this normal? How do we deal with it? I feel like we would be going backwards to put them back in their high chairs.

2. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

Does the booster come with a tray? If it does, maybe you could put the tray on and move them back a few inches from the table. THen at least they will be used to eating close to the table and maybe will not push away when you finally move them.

3. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

With everything else you need to discipline them on, they need to learn that it's not okay to do this. Our chairs are on carpet so they don't slide but my girls were tipping backwards since they were also pushing with their feet.

4. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

I would either of two things: keep a highchair near the table so if they do push back with their feet give a warning (that they will go in the highchair) and if they do it again they go in the high chair for the rest of the meal or if they push with their feet give one warning (they will get down from the table) and if they do it again take them out of the chair and away from the table. Then you can choose if they ate enough just end the meal or maybe wait a couple of minutes and try again (but I would only try again once or that will be made into a game of getting in and out of the chair). I have done the high chair way with my son and does work but you have to be consistent.

5. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We addressed that one the way we did most other issues of misbehavior at the table -- if you do it once, you get a warning; if you do it again, your meal is over.

Now, it sometimes becomes a problem when they actually want to get down and they do it. But for the most part, they don't do it, because they want to eat some more.

6. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Minette @ Aug 25 2008, 08:48 PM) [snapback]947537[/snapback]
    We addressed that one the way we did most other issues of misbehavior at the table -- if you do it once, you get a warning; if you do it again, your meal is over.

Now, it sometimes becomes a problem when they actually want to get down and they do it. But for the most part, they don't do it, because they want to eat some more.

My advice too! Works like a charm.

7. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(seamusnicholas @ Aug 25 2008, 05:45 PM) [snapback]947001[/snapback]
    Does the booster come with a tray? If it does, maybe you could put the tray on and move them back a few inches from the table. THen at least they will be used to eating close to the table and maybe will not push away when you finally move them.

This might be a good idea to ease them into it.

QUOTE(Minette @ Aug 25 2008, 11:48 PM) [snapback]947537[/snapback]

This is what we do as well. They have always liked being up at the table with the rest of the family.