Training Pants?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by fmcquinn, May 10, 2012.

1. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

I'm searching for training pants for my girls. I've seen lots of cute ones, buy I find them a little too expensive. I've narrowed my choices to Gerber brand or Cater's brand. Has anyone used/currently using either? Any advice on absorbency and sizing?

Thanks!

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I used training pants for all of one day before I said, "I'm just buying underwear."

My suggestion would be to not waste your money. :laughing:

3. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I agree, don't waste your money. Put them in undies, they'll have a few accidents and be done with it. If you really don't want to clean up the mess, you can put pull ups on top of the undies so they'll still feel wet and uncomfortable. Or use rubber pants, they might be cheaper and at least are reusable.

4. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yeah, we did the pull ups over the underwear a few times. That was a brilliant idea that I stole from here. Worked out niceley for our first long trip (which was immediately after potty training them.)

5. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

I just used the cloth diapers I was using before training. Then I had to make underpants because they didn't come small enough for my 2. So I added "training" absorbency for the middle. Jesse ended up not needing any and Josh only needed it for a while.

6. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

I'd save your money. I used them a few times for one of the boys and that was it.

7. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

We used them for a few weeks while potty training and no real problems. We bought ours at Target, so I would assume they were Gerber.

8. kgar

kgar Well-Known Member

I bought a bunch of the Gerber training pants and regular underpants at the same time when we started potty training. At first, my girls would only wear the regular underpants because they had characters (Dora, Elmo, etc.) on them and the training pants did not. But then suddenly they started choosing the training pants. Now that's what they prefer to wear, I think because they're softer than the regular underpants. I like them because they provide more coverage, if you know what I mean, under dresses so I don't have to worry about putting shorts or leggings on them under dresses for school in the summer. Get the ones with patterns on them (cupcakes and flowers, usually, for the Gerber ones) because the white ones look just like little boys' whitey-tighties.

Honestly, they're not terribly absorbent. If your girls start to go pee and are able to stop themselves, I suppose they would "catch" the accident. But if your girls full-on pee, might as well have on regular underpants. They won't absorb that much. I've found the Gerber ones to fit true to size. I recommend avoiding entirely the plastic or rubber pants that are designed to fit on top of the training pants. The Gerber ones, at least (the only ones I've tried), leak around the legs or at the top and are completely useless.

9. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

Ha! I might just do that. I'm still working at building up the patience to do the whole potty training thing.