Training pants, underwear, or naked butts?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Stacy A., Mar 25, 2008.

1. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

Argg! I hate this. They run to me the second their diapers are wet and ask to be changed. They also go hide when they go. So, they know when they need to go. Anna has even actually used the potty twice. They also show all the other readiness signs on those lists except asking to go to the potty. They just don't want to. I ask them all the time and they say no. (Then go hide and pee two minutes later <_< )

They know that they have their diapers and don't have to worry about it. So, I think it is time to take the diapers away. This week is very convenient, too. I normally babysit, but I don' have him this week, so it is just us.

So, has anyone tried just taking the diapers away with success? If so, did you go to training pants (I have the Gerber ones that are cloth on the inside with vinyl on the outside.), straight to underwear, or did you let them run around naked? I'm just dreading all the mess if it takes a while for them to get it. Please share your experiences!

2. MissyEby

MissyEby Well-Known Member

Training pants!!

just think you wont be changing diapers much longer!!

:a_smil09:

3. ****mws****

****mws**** Banned

we did undies.. ( the ones that look like shorts so if we have company.. big if) and my son never wet his once.. but we waited until he was 3.5 to start training..
    hes day trained.. i let him run around in undies in the house.. then 20 min trips to walmart then 1 hr to daddys then .. i just refused to put on a diaper before 830 pm
    hes very well trained.. never peed durring nap or when we were out..

good luck

4. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

Stacy, we tried right to underwear, since everyone says pull-ups confuse them and to just get rid of the diapers. Plus, we've done cold turkey for most transitions and that's what seems to work best for my kids. Anyway, it was a bust. I think they might not have been ready. Like yours, we've gone pee on the potty several times. Bea wants her diaper changed asap. Ainsley I knew wouldn't quite be ready, but I thought being wet would be uncomfortable and a motivator. I'm going to give it a few months and try later.

5. dtlyme

dtlyme Well-Known Member

Stacy - I really think that the signs you need to watch for is length of time that they are staying dry in their diapers. Take my daughter. For months has refused to pee on the potty - would sit on it for 2 seconds and then get off. Did the same thing with the diapers asking me to change etc; She peed on the potty for the FIRST time about 3 weeks ago. She has been dry through the night in her diaper for over 10 days. Long stretches during the day for a while now. I would check her diaper and she just wouldn't need a change (unlike my son!). Anyway - this past weekend I made the switch to underwear. She has been AMAZING. No pee mistakes at all so far and dry through the night. Comes running to me when she needs to pee in the potty. We make running to the potty a silly thing which she loves! Poop is another story, but we will work on that. No going back to diapers. So honestly - from where I stand - it does no harm to wait. Certainly suggest the potty and praise and support everything they do with it, but don't push. They really truly will do it when they are ready!!

Good luck-

6. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

QUOTE(*Dana* @ Mar 25 2008, 09:25 PM) [snapback]687202[/snapback]
    Stacy - I really think that the signs you need to watch for is length of time that they are staying dry in their diapers. Take my daughter. For months has refused to pee on the potty - would sit on it for 2 seconds and then get off. Did the same thing with the diapers asking me to change etc; She peed on the potty for the FIRST time about 3 weeks ago. She has been dry through the night in her diaper for over 10 days. Long stretches during the day for a while now. I would check her diaper and she just wouldn't need a change (unlike my son!). Anyway - this past weekend I made the switch to underwear. She has been AMAZING. No pee mistakes at all so far and dry through the night. Comes running to me when she needs to pee in the potty. We make running to the potty a silly thing which she loves! Poop is another story, but we will work on that. No going back to diapers. So honestly - from where I stand - it does no harm to wait. Certainly suggest the potty and praise and support everything they do with it, but don't push. They really truly will do it when they are ready!!

Good luck-

They rarely need to be changed more than a few times a day and normally wake up dry or you can tell they just went. They pee after every meal and maybe one or two times more throughout the day.

I tried putting underwear on them today for about an hour. We had to go somewhere this evening. They stayed dry. Anna even sat on the potty for a good 20 minutes watching TV (I've moves the potties into the living room for the week). We'll try it again tomorrow and see what happens. I just think that maybe, if they aren't so comfortable, it might motivate them. We'll see. I just think it can't hurt. They next chance I'll get to actively train is this summer.

7. PRJP

PRJP Well-Known Member

For my one son, the only thing that worked was having a naked butt. We are still working on night training...but as for the days I think we are finally there.

8. twinmomri

twinmomri Active Member

I agree with PP and the naked bottom. Both my boys (2.5 years old) are day trained and we did it with the naked bottom. They showed all the signs, but if we gave them undies or pull ups they had accidents all the time. We let them be naked from the waist down in the house and after after a few days they had it down. We also put the training potties in key locations so there was always one they could run to.

Caryn