Train and train table advice

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by twoin2005, Jan 21, 2007.

1. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Well I am eating my words. A few months ago I was vehemently opposed to getting a train table, mainly due to space issues. BUT...we have an office/guest bedroom that is going unused and I want to turn that space into a computer/play room/library with a train table. I hate having a whole room in our house go completely unused.

So I need some input:

1) What train table do you recommend/not recommend? What features do you like/want/need? Where did you get it?

2) What train set should we get for 2 year olds? Thomas v. Geotrax, v. whatever else is out there?

TIA!

2. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Well I am eating my words. A few months ago I was vehemently opposed to getting a train table, mainly due to space issues. BUT...we have an office/guest bedroom that is going unused and I want to turn that space into a computer/play room/library with a train table. I hate having a whole room in our house go completely unused.

So I need some input:

1) What train table do you recommend/not recommend? What features do you like/want/need? Where did you get it?

2) What train set should we get for 2 year olds? Thomas v. Geotrax, v. whatever else is out there?

TIA!

3. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We don't have a train table, although our set could be used on a train table. We have Take-A-Long Thomas. I LOVE it because it is affordable. Target carries alot of it. We lay out our tracks every morning and each day the kids get a new arrangement, although any generic low table would do for it. We have a few building to go in the track. It also packs up so when you travel you can take some of it with you.

We have lots of engines. What I like particularly is that you can get a big Thomas that opens up and you can store the engines in there. We have them labeled so each kid has one and then they pull out what they want. We also have "share cars" which are the generic freight cars.

There are 3 different Thomas sets so you need to pick one and stay with it. There is a battery operated set, the wooden set and the Take-A-Long set. The wooden set is very expensive.

Just shop carefully and you'll be fine.

Marissa

4. Tam1969

Tam1969 Well-Known Member

I would suggest a beginner table that they can't tear up. We had the Imaginarium table from TRU. It didn't last long even with bolting the track down. We tossed it and found the Step 2 table that has built in track. Any small trains can be used with it. The table has a lid which makes it useful with other toys or drawing. It's also not as big as the other tables. I found it at JCpenny for $89.00.

5. K*D*B

K*D*B Well-Known Member

We have the Learning Tree table from Target. We got it last year on clearance for $30. They had them at our Target this year too. It is white with a green table top. Each end has a drawer to store pieces in. We use the Thomas trains with it.

Cari

6. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

We got the Learning Tree table, too. The storage drawers are essential!

The train track is no-name from Target that came in a big wooden box. Because the boys are big Thomas fans, we've supplemented that with Thomas train cars, some specialized track pieces, and a few other accessories, like the Mountain Pass, Water Tower, and Engine Washer, and some Imaginarium accessories as well.

7. jwozy

jwozy Well-Known Member

We have an Imaginarium table from TRU that is kept at our vacation house and though the kids love playing with the trains, even with the tracks clipped together with the suretracks the kids were constantly taking it apart and getting frustrated with it. The table was nice to use for legos and blocks though.

For Christmas we got them a couple of Geotrax sets and this is working out much better. We don't have a train table at home but use a rug for the train set up. The Geotrax stays together better and didn't come apart quite as easily as the wooden tracks. Because the pieces are a bit larger, and plastic if they step or sat on the tracks it didn't come apart and it seems a bit easier for them to try to put the tracks together themselves. The sets we have came with battery operated trains and they love using the controls that came with it to make it go and stop. They'll also push the trains around the tracks and crash it with each other. Though they love the wooden thomas the trains, for now we are going to stick with the Geotrax.

8. reaganslp

reaganslp Well-Known Member

We have the Learning Tree Table from Target as well. I love the drawers! I also recommend the Geotrax! I think it is affordable and has so much you can do to expand on and make bigger. My kids love it and it has some really neat features.

Goodluck!

Reagan

9. double dribble

double dribble Well-Known Member

We have some take along Thomas sets and some Geotrax sets. My boys prefer the Geotrax. Be warned, though, the Geotrax set will quickly outgrow a train table. We bought the boys the MegaSet from ToysRUs and can't fit all the track on our table, plus there are still a ton of add-ons you can get. Just something to think about!

10. Bride121402

Bride121402 Well-Known Member

I just picked up a train table with train included at Walmart. It was on clearance for $21...regularly $50. It is the Walmart brand of toys. It is extremely heavy in the box, but we got it to put up for next Christmas because he got so many trains this Christmas. Worth looking for if you have Walmart near you.

11. 3sweetps

3sweetps Well-Known Member

My oldest son is BIG into Thomas. For his second b-day we got him an Imaginarium train table & track, added a Brio tunnel to it and have a pretty good collection of Thomas & his friends. The Thomas trains are pretty expensive, but he got (and gets) a lot for gifts. He loves to act out scenes from the show and from his books. It's so fun to watch his imaginative play!
    The babies are VERY attracted to the train table and their biggest joy is putting the trains through the tunnel and through the bridge. This means I'm constantly fixing the track...but I don't mind too much. My ultimate plan is to get a good quality Thomas track and glue the thing in place. We're ready for a new track configuration. I know for certain that my boys will all be playing with it for a while longer, so for us it's worth the investment.

quote:
    I would suggest a beginner table that they can't tear up. We had the Imaginarium table from TRU. It didn't last long even with bolting the track down. We tossed it

We haven't had this issue at all...we've had the table for over a year.

12. blessedby2

blessedby2 Well-Known Member

We got our train table used at a resale shop - only $35. We couldn't pass it up, and it was in good condition. We got the Melissa and Doug train set. You can buy them only or at a Learning Express store. It costs $80 and you get 130 pieces. And, it works with the Thomas train engines. I didn't want to spend so much money on the Thomas tracks, so I heard about this set and thought it was a great deal. We also bought some other Thomas engines as well.

We are starting to accumulate some Take Along Thomas engines that people bought them for Christmas and didn't know the difference and neither did we until after they were opened. So, we plan on buying them one of these sets for their B-Day, or should I saw we will be getting it for DS.

My kids love the train set. One of the best purchases we have made. Hope yours enjoy it as much as mine do. [​IMG]

13. JackieBlimke

JackieBlimke Well-Known Member

I absolutely rave about the Step II train table......

http://www.step2.com/product.cfm?product_i...D164B2562979A3F

It is molded so the kids can't take apart the tracks,etc.....Its awesome....any trains I have bought fit in the tracks (Thomas,etc).

You can actually get this table from the Costco website cheaper than the Step2 website. On the Canadian website anyway.....

14. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

My grandpa built my two their train table (it was modeled after the Thomas one) and then we buy all the Thomas trains, tracks and accesories. They also got a set that was from Costco I believe that had like 120 pieces of track, tunnels, etc...

The great thing about the Thomas, Brio, etc... is that they all interlock so you don't jsut have to have one brand.

A MUST for me though was the storage bins. He built 2 huge ones that fit perfectly under the table.

Everything right now is THOMAS in out house! [​IMG]

One other suggestion-- when Blake first started out we stuck to keeping out on the table a figure 8 track and a few trains-- and put all the extra track and trains away because they get frustrated. Once they get the concept you can bring out more.

15. prettybaby25

prettybaby25 Well-Known Member

We bought ours at Costco - it came with the table, 2 trundles and a train set. Of course, they destroyed the train set and we had to take it down. But, we are going to try again when they are 2 and maybe nail down the tracks...

The Costco set works with Thomas trains and Brio (maybe)

I think it was $129 for all that..

16. HT

HT Well-Known Member

We bought the Imaginerium train table 7 months ago and love it! I got it on sale for $100 and it was well worth the money. The table is very sturdy and nicely made, includes rounded corners and 2 drawers plus tons of track, trains and accesories. The train track stays together just fine. Occasionally, my 2 1/2 year old takes it apart, but she actually leaves it together most of the time. She does move the accessory pieces around, but isn't that what a 2 1/2 year old does? Imaginerium recently changed their set and it looks even nicer than the one we have, it includes sounds and lights.

17. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

We have the Imaginarium set as well. They have only had it since Christmas but so far all seems well with it. I liked being able to get the table and a good starting set of tracks for $100 (we caught it on sale as well). We have added several of the Thomas engines. Although some of the wood engines are really expensive (usually the larger double engines run around $20), the smaller ones aren't all that bad. If you have a major craft store in your area take a peak and see if they have them. Usually they have them on sale for 30% off. If they are regular price, just get one of their 40% off 1 regular priced item and it makes them a lot less expensive.