Toys toys toys

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by w101ttd, Feb 17, 2014.

1. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Hi, ladies! Hope you all are having a wonderful Monday. I have some more questions.

I'm sure every mom here does run into this issue at least one. So we have toys toys and toys everywhere. We have a full big closet of toys. We stop buying them toys since last yr. but they do get toys on Xmas, BD,.. I am so so sick of toys everywhere. So I told my husband that I will haul all the toys (every single one) to goodwill. I don't want any toy in the house. They just keep toys everywhere. We do have rules for everything. And they do follow the rules. But with toys, NO. The house does quickly and easily get messy with toys

So, should I just give away all the toys? What are your solutions? And how do you deal with toys? I'm dead serious about hauling toys to goodwill when they are at school this week. It will take me like at least 5 trips even though I roll down second roll in my highlander. Ugh

Tia!

2. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would pack some up, go through and get rid of anything they don't play with. I gave away a ton of toys in the fall and then again before their bday. I move stuff around between basement and upstairs so they don't get bored and just rotate stuff in and out:)

3. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I purge toys about twice a year. I go through them and get rid of any broken toys or toys that have lost pieces. And then I go through the toys that are fine, but they've either outgrown or just don't play with and donate those. 

I can't stand lots of little pieces of things so those are the ones that drive me the most insane. 

4. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

5. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

I get rid of things every few months that they have outgrown, missing pieces, broken, etc.  We also rotate toys.  We have things sorted in bins (superheroes, blocks, etc.) and we get out 1-2 bins at a time.  If they want a different bin, they have to clean up what is out and we do a swap.  It keeps the toys interesting, which helps cut down on them just making a mess, and also less toys laying around.  We don't buy that many toys, but we have two overly generous grandma's who won't STOP buying, and it is total chaos if we keep everything in their reach all the time.

6. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We have tons of toys in the garage. I have DH switch them over about every month or so. I do make the kids pick up after lunch every day as I've stepped on toys too many times while they are at preschool and am over it. DH picks up the living room every night, too, after they go to bed (1 kid usually helps him).

I am terrible about getting rid of toys. Now my excuse is that Annabelle could play with it; in reality she reads books and loves on her baby doll. That's about it. :)

This is a fascinating blog post and really resonates with me; I'll confess that I come from hoarders and used to find tons of stuff very comforting. I'm still probably messier than most but I married a neat freak so I think we're in an acceptable range of normal.. but it's hard for me to tell sometimes. 

7. mom2gc

mom2gc Well-Known Member

My kids do have less toys than most of their friends and I still think that they have too much.  I also get rid of broken and outgrown toys. We have storage drawers underneath their beds and big containers for Lego, cars etc.  This helps to reduce the chaos and is easy to pack up. They have to pick up all their toys at nap and bedtime.   Books are another story. We all love books and I just can't resist buying good books for my kids.  We are now planning to build in more bookshelves in the study  and I have added another bookshelve to their room. :blush:

8. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

This is mostly what we do too. Luckily, we are having some success in limiting toy gifts with our very generous families - our kids still get a lot of clothes per our request or we at least get asked about toys so we can coordinate or ask for a joint gift of one more expensive item.

The same here - we are all book crazy. I have started taking them to the public library which has a great children's non-fiction and picture book section (the selection of chapter books is more limited and one-sided) and that does help in keeping new purchases at reasonable levels.

9. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Thanks ladies! Yes, we have so many books. But paper books don't last long. My son loves reading. But he destroy them as well. So we have more ebooks.

I have moved all the toys in the closet and put up a door lock. They can't open it without a key lol. I give them a bucket each. They can pick and fill their buckets with toys. We change toys every othe weekend. It seems working. We don't have many toys everywhere anymore. I'm so happy about it. Thanks :)

10. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Sounds like you've found a good solution that works for you!!

With 4 kids, we have TONS of toys!  I also go through every couple months and purge, donate/sell toys that are underaged, or they don't play with anymore, toss all mcd's toys or toys with broken/missing pieces.  We also have an organizer in the twins room like this http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_query=toy+organizer&Find=Find&search_constraint=0 to keep up with the little stuff.  Every few months I go back through it and reorganize it all, and within a few weeks it's a mess, but at least it keeps things out of the floor.