Toys for boys turning 3

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by melissak, Aug 7, 2010.

1. melissak

melissak Well-Known Member

I know I am a little ahead but my boys will be 3 in three months. I can't for the life of me decide what to get them for their b-day. They already have so much but of course a lot of the stuff I really need to get rid of...they are too old for it! They LOVE firetrucks and we have some Tonka ones but I am thinking I may get them each a really nice one but the problem is I can't decide between these 3 choices
    ~playmobil
    ~mighty world
    ~bruder
    They LOVE firemen too and the hoses that go with so not sure which. (they have outgrown Little People stuff)

Also, they are OBSESSED with daddy's tools and LOVE taking things apart and putting back together. They have the Little Tykes tool bench but again...I think they need something more advanced as they are bored with it. Something they can actually take apart and put together....model cars? Not sure....

They are also obsessed with flashlights lately as well but I hate letting them play with daddy's as they shine them in my eyes and each others.

Also, a nice little laptop....with nice graphics...

Any suggestions? THX!

2. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

My mom bought DS a batman playhouse castle. She got him that because she bought DD a girlie playhouse and wanted him to have one as well. Anyways, I didn't think he would play with it all that much, but he LOVES it!

Also, what about a take apart truck. DS also got something similar to this (not exactly like this one), but just to give you an idea. He LOVES this toy as well.

We also got each of ours a tricycle. This onefor DD and this onefor DS. They were big hits! They were asking for tricycles though.

3. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

if you get the Black and Decker Jr. Tool Bench it has a birdhouse that you take apart and put together with oversize plastic nuts and bolts and velcro...my kids are nearly 4 and a half and still love the workbench and play kitchen (they are next to each other in the family room!)

how about a play kitchen and a bunch of food to go with it?

4. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

What about some Geotrax sets. They have them with all sorts of trains and different pieces. They are really easy for even 3 yr olds to snap together. You can expand with more pieces later.

5. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

My DS loves anything Imaginext. I kinda do too. :FIFblush:

6. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

We're doing bikes for their birthday but I love the pp suggestions!! I'm going to have to look into some of those as well :good:

7. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

Magnatiles are a HUGE hit here, probably my boys' favorite birthday present. They also love the Geotrax & Thomas the Train sets they got (the endless fun of putting together the tracks keeps them busy!). Another big favorite is their VTech digital cameras.

If you guys like taking things apart & putting them together, they'd probably like some of the Handy Manny stuff. They have the Fix It sets, or something like that. Ours is THIS. It comes with a screwdriver and they have to unscrew/screw compartments to 'fix' things & make it work. I was worried they'd lose the screws, but they're all attached so that they can't be. I've seen other ones out there that are tvs, cars, motorcycles, etc. My kids LOVE it & I plan to buy more sets for them for Christmas.

I googled 'ride on firetrucks' since you said your kids were big into firetrucks & there are some SWEET ones out there, but they're quite pricey (not sure your price range). My kids have a LeapFrog ride on Firetruck from their 1st birthday that they still ride on DAILY. They're getting too big, but they LOVE it. In fact, I had to buy a 2nd ride on toy at a garage sale this year because they continue to fight over it (I felt weird buying a baby toy!). There are some pedal type firetrucks out there, too. What about fireman dress up? Do they have the coat/hats/boots & stuff? My kids would love that! Along that line, I know I saw fireman/truck stuff in the fall line at Kohl's Deparment Store..maybe they'd like a new shirt?

Good luck, I had an awful time coming up with gifts for my 2 on their 3rd birthday, too. Hope you find some great stuff!

ETA My kids got the Handy Manny tool bench for Christmas with lots of different things you can build. They seem a bit too little for it right now, but do ok if you help them. And I hate that there is no real 'easy' way to store all the pieces...I'm constantly finding screws & nails all over! But, they still like it & it may be something your boys would love!

8. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Both Wedgits and Magnatiles are huge hits with all the boys I know in the 3-6 age range. (My girls love them too.)

This isn't really a toy, but I'd also recommend a balance bike (Strider is one of the brands) if they don't already have one. Amy just started using one we borrowed from a friend, and she loves it but is really too big for it (at 4.5). If we'd gotten her one when she was 2.5 or 3, she'd probably be able to ride a real bike without training wheels by now.

I may check out the Handy Manny or the Black & Decker tool bench myself -- Amy & Sarah are both really interested in working with tools right now. They're obviously too old for the baby ones, but I'm not about to let them use real saws & drills at this age, so we need something in between.

9. ihavesevensons

ihavesevensons Well-Known Member

10. Zabeta

Zabeta Well-Known Member

My guys love their Duplos and play with them every day - together, on their own, with us or any other adults that walk in the door. We started with the fire truck because they were also big fire truck fans, and then added a set of blocks to build their own stuff after it was clear that they liked them. These combine the love of trucks with the love of putting stuff together (and smashing it apart...). If I could do it over again I would exchange all of the Toy Story gear for more Duplos.

I got them a Playmobil firetruck for Christmas but the small pieces were TOO small and they couldn't do anything to it.

Dress up things are also very big here - cowboy outfits, pirate outfits, and a suit of plastic armor - complete with helmet, breastplate and sword.

11. irisflower

irisflower Well-Known Member

Please don't mind me "just visiting" from the other board. My guys are almost 2.

Automoblox might be your answer. They are meant to start at age 3, but
    we are playing with it already. (with extra watching on my part).
    It is pricy, but we found ours at a garage sale.

Thanks for the great post! I'm always looking ahead here to see what I need
    to find at the next big sale.

12. twinfinite

twinfinite Well-Known Member

I second the take-apart toys suggestion.

CAT take-apart dump truck and the CAT take-apart wheel loader. TRU has them for 16.99 but you'd have shipping cost to contend with.

CAT TAKE APART TRUCK!

The best deal I've seen is Target -- they go for 15.99 at our local store.