too much tickling?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by ddancerd1, May 20, 2008.

1. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

so DH the other day was all, "i heard you shouldn't tickle a baby too much, because they can lose their feeling." i said, "where did you hear that?" he wouldn't tell me, he just said,"somewhere." i KNOW where he heard it from. so we're at his parents' house on sunday and he asked his mom about it (who was the one who told him, i know this), and she goes, "you shouldn't tickle a baby. blah blah blah....."
    has anyone else heard of this?

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(ddancerd1 @ May 20 2008, 12:04 PM) [snapback]783260[/snapback]
    so DH the other day was all, "i heard you shouldn't tickle a baby too much, because they can lose their feeling." i said, "where did you hear that?" he wouldn't tell me, he just said,"somewhere." i KNOW where he heard it from. so we're at his parents' house on sunday and he asked his mom about it (who was the one who told him, i know this), and she goes, "you shouldn't tickle a baby. blah blah blah....."
    has anyone else heard of this?

Oh my. I am trying my hardest not to laugh! Oy! As soon as your dh said, "Somewhere" I knew where! :p My dh does the SAME THING!

3. ddancerd1

QUOTE(megkc03 @ May 20 2008, 11:06 AM) [snapback]783264[/snapback]
    Oh my. I am trying my hardest not to laugh! Oy! As soon as your dh said, "Somewhere" I knew where! :p My dh does the SAME THING!

lol, yeah, and mind you, she also says that whistling call the devil. :blink: and before youask, yes, i whistle to the girls ALL THE TIME, especially when she's around. heehee

4. Devonna James

Devonna James Member

where do MILs come up w/ this stuf?
    I think they do it just to see how much we will take!
    I remember being tickled & I am still tickleish!!!
    go ahead & tickle! let 'em know ya love 'em!

5. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

lose their feeling? :laughing:

here is an article about tickling saying when a child squirms you should stop because they don't like the feeling.

this article says prolonged tickling can be abusive.

Ther eis NOTHING that says they lose their feeling, that is ridiculous.

6. ddancerd1

QUOTE(twoplustwo @ May 20 2008, 11:44 AM) [snapback]783341[/snapback]
    lose their feeling? :laughing:

here is an article about tickling saying when a child squirms you should stop because they don't like the feeling.

this article says prolonged tickling can be abusive.

Ther eis NOTHING that says they lose their feeling, that is ridiculous.

thanks for that!
    we definitely don't over tickle! we only do it when we're getting them dressed. and i don't do it as much with marina, only because i can TELL she isn't a fan (and i HATE being tickled, so she may be like me)
    i will have to forward these articles to DH. and maybe MIL

7. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

Strange! :huh:

One of Ellie's first words was 'tickle' , lol! She now likes to take her sock off and try and tickle her own foot!

8. Carrie27

Carrie27 Well-Known Member

My daughter said tickle tickle tickle too as one of her first words. :laughing:

9. mnellson

mnellson Well-Known Member

Now I think I've heard it all!

10. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

I agree you shouldn't do it too much, but a tiny bit is harmless. As a child who was very ticklish, I know how horrible it can be when someone won't stop though.

My girls don't seem to be ticklish at all. Is this something that develops?

11. Saramcc

Saramcc Well-Known Member

okay you have a very strange MIL!