Tonsils and Adenoid removal

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Kludelhoven, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Kludelhoven

Kludelhoven Well-Known Member

I'm sure this has been covered before but I can't seem to find anything. My DD is having her tonsils and adenoids out on 8/2 due to snoring and cronic sinusitis. We just had the ENT consult and one look in there and he said they were huge. I'm just wondering how recovery was and anything else you can tell me for anyone that had BTDT with there child. She is 3.5yrs old. Thanks for your input!

2. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Jon was 6 weeks past 3 when he had his out. In a week post surgery, he was cleared to do all activity. He bounced back really quickly, and grew 4 inches in the following 6 months!

3. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

Our DS had his adenoids out (and tubes put in) and it was a breeze for him. I know it's a little more sore when tonsils are taken too.

But for him, the procedure was quick and he was back to normal by that night.

Hope she feels better after!

4. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty easy for kids. I know someone who had it done as an adult and it was a nearly three week recovery. So definitely good to do it as a child!

5. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My son was 9 and it was a good 2 weeks before he started feeling better. I do think the older they are the harder it is!

Stock up on freezies, popsicles, cold yogurt or frozen yogurt, or even ice cream with no chunks in it. It was several days before my son could eat anything, but suck on popsicles wasn't too bad. Once he started to eat a bit of cold stuff, he stuck with soup broth (he prefers vegetable soup but chicken noodle works too), and he actually found the soft veggies in vegetable soup weren't too bad. And warm tea felt better than water or juice did, he drank lots of luke warm tea.

6. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

My DD has her andenoids removed as a 3.5 yo. Overall it was easy. The day itself was pretty rough for her (my whole family has always had issues with anesthesia, even the short mild one used for this surgery so this was no surprise), the next day she was happy with water, lukewarm herbal tea, icecream, yoghurt etc., the third day she was pretty much back to normal but did not want to have any fruits (the acids seemed to hurt her mouth still). Keeping her calm for the recommended 5-7 days was a challenge because she did not feel sick any more but I was pretty strict because I was afraid of late bleeding.

7. mish_lewis

mish_lewis Well-Known Member

Wow, talk about timing. My 3.5 year old son had T&A Friday. It was rough coming out of surgery and waking up. Expect them to throw-up some blood they swallow during the surgery. I alternated Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen and still am doing this today. I tried dropping to just Ibuprofin, but he woke up from his nap today in pain and vomiting. My ENT said that today would probably be the worst because of the scab falling off?? It is difficult keeping him still when the pain meds are working, but we have been watching movies, reading, and playing board & video games. He can eat almost anything today, but I am still staying away from crunchy foods. The ENT said it was most important to push liquid, not matter what type, sugar juices, soda, what ever they will drink that first day. My ped told me she had a number of 3.5 year olds end up in the ER because they would not drink fluids.

Good luck!

8. mish_lewis

mish_lewis Well-Known Member

Just wanted to add.....
    We will be a week out of surgery 1 week tomorrow. My little one is still waking around 3AM in pain. I think it might be dry throat? I am still giving Ibuprofen during the day and adding Acetaminophen at night. Daytime seems to be going better as long as I do not let the Ibuprofen laps. I still am limiting activity.

9. chrystalvaughn

chrystalvaughn Well-Known Member

Both of my twins had their adnoids and tonsils out and got tubes put in and were fine within a week. Our doctor also gave them pain meds to take every 4 hours for 2 weeks afterwards. If I didn't give them the pain meds they would wake up at night in pain so I tried to stay on the every 4 hr time even in the middle of the night. It helped alot. They were 4 years old also.

10. Kludelhoven

She goes in tomorrow at 9am, I'm so nervous!!! Thanks for all the replies, I'll update sometime this weekend incase anyone else about to go through this can find it! Mishellelewis...how is your son doing?

11. Kludelhoven

So for anyone in the future wondering things went much better then expected. We are one week out from the surgery and other then some stinky breath you would never know she had anything done.

Day 1- she was perfectly normal and I had to hold her back from doing things
    Day2-pretty much the same,as long as I gave her Tylenol she was fine
    Day 3-this was the bad day, poor girl would eat,I had to force the fluids and she kept drooling
    Day 4-so much better, stinky breath kicked in
    Day5-7- perfectly normal, doesn't even need medicine anymore!

12. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

I am glad to hear things went well. Is she sleeping better? How about her snoring?