Toddler Parenting Book Recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by littletwinstars, May 27, 2007.

1. littletwinstars

littletwinstars Well-Known Member

Any recommendations for good parenting books for the toddler stages? Especially for raising twins? I just purchased "The Happiest Toddler on the Block" and "What to Expect The Toddler Years." Thanks!

2. coconutdancing

coconutdancing Well-Known Member

I really like the Happiest toddler on the block it really helps me in order to comuicate with them. I also really like the book Mothering Twins it helps me by understanding what other mothers have gone through, also has a good section on traveling with little ones.

3. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I've been getting a kick out of The Girlfriend's Guide to Toddlers. It's too soon for me to tell yet whether it's helpful, though (except in the sense that it's getting me to laugh at their behavior -- which is worth something on its own!). I have to say, though, I started reading it when mine were just 12 months, and it scared the pants off me (kind of like reading about having twin newborns when I was still pregnant). I found it less scary and more humorous once we had actually reached the stage of some of the behaviors she talks about. But she considers "toddlers" to be from 12 months to 4 years -- so I find that a lot of it doesn't really apply to us (yet).

I also really liked "Watch Me Grow: I'm One" (there are also "I'm Two" and "I'm Three" books). I got it from the library and skimmed it, and might actually buy it someday. It's good at getting inside the toddler's brain and helping you understand why they do what they do. It's not so much a how-to for parenting, though.

I've looked for a book about twin toddlers, but haven't found one, except for a few that are from "birth to age 5." I skimmed some of those when my girls were really little and just thought they were way too sketchy, trying to cover too much ground in one book.

4. littletwinstars

Thank you for the suggestions. We did a search at Barnes and Noble, but the only recommended ones were either written for parenting twin infants or parenting twin toddlers (but these sound more humorous/entertaining than informative) or for twin children (i.e. actual children's book written for twins). I tried doing a search on the web, but it looks like there isn't much out there. :(

5. littletwinstars

Moderators - would you please also post this in the Parents Club forum? Thank you!