Toddler Cookbook Recommendations, please!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by amelowe9, Dec 27, 2010.

1. amelowe9

amelowe9 Well-Known Member

I feel like I feed my kids too many processed foods--out of convenience, yes, but also because it's what they like to eat. Times I go out of my way to cook new things usually backfire--they won't even touch the stuff. I want to go to the bookstore tomorrow and find an easy, healthy kids cookbook with recipes I think they'd like. Even if it means one night of cooking ahead and freezing somethings so i have them healthy and on hand, it might be worth it...if they actually eat it :gah: Does anyone have any recommendations on books? Websites too? Thanks!

2. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

I've heard good things about The Sneaky Chef. It sneaks healthy foods into kid's favorites. I'll be interested to hear what others have to suggest. We seem to be in a rut lately and not eating as healthy as I'd like.

3. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Good luck. I'm in the same boat as you. It seems that as soon as we hit three...we became picky eaters. Mashed potatoes? Nope-black pepper in them. Sandwiches? Nope-crust on them. EVERYTHING has some sort of 'skin' on it and Nicholas refuses to eat it. Yet, that kid will lick a rib or chicken wing CLEAN. I mean absolutely NOTHING on the bone. NOTHING. Pasta for the most part is something they will ALL eat. And eat tons as well. They were in a rut where they wouldn't eat penne pasta. So I started giving them spaghetti, or fettucine, etc and that helped.

Tonight I made a very easy dish. I cooked rotini pasta, cooked up some chicken tenders in the pan with a little butter(recipe I followed from allrecipes.com). Then cooked up some diced onions/peppers. Added some chicken base and water. Mixed the pasta/chicken in with that. Added swiss cheese. Mixed it all around. Baked it in 13*9 pan for 15 minutes and it was done.

Wouldn't touch it. Except Annabella. But she eats anything. For now at least! And it was pretty decent!

I'll be interested to see what others suggest!

4. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

I started using
    Pretend Soup around age 2.5

and the sequels- salad people and honest pretzels.

My kids can help with these cookbooks, the pics are easy for non-readers and my kids like the recipes!!!

Winners in my book....our is so torn and dirty from use it is embarrassing!

5. ainsleyr

ainsleyr Well-Known Member

We have used Annabel Karmel's "Fast Food" since the girls were little - she divides chapters by age, & now that we are 2 & above the meals are nice & something the whole family can eat. Last night I actually made chicken chow mein for my DH & the girls & I from the book. I have one daughter who loves to eat, but my other DD eats pretty much nothing, so I totally understand your frustration! :headbang: Her recipes can be easily adapted, too, if you don't have all of the ingredients on hand, & generally take me about 30 to 40 minutes to prepare.

A website I use pretty often is www.weelicious.com. She can be a bit OTT, but a lot of the stuff she makes is really nice & my girls, (even the picky one!) often like her recipes. My other go-to website is simply "Cooking Light" - I try out a lot of stuff from there, like turkey meatloaf muffins etc. I generally find if there is a recipe I can make into little kiddie sized portions it often gets eaten, rather than serving them chopped up versions of what my DH & I are eating. (Hence the meatloaf in muffin tins - also good for freezing for later dinners!)

Good luck....I really think it is the age. For the longest time all I could get one of my DD's to eat was italian meatballs and the breading from the outside of fish sticks.... :gah: Even now she tends just to eat PB & J, and fruit.

6. frickandfrack

frickandfrack Well-Known Member

I too like Annabel Karmel. I used her cookbook when introducing solids and it had lots of recipes. Some of the recipes contain odd combinations, but most were easy and kid friendly.