Toddler Bed Transition - HELP!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by juliannepercy, Oct 8, 2012.

1. juliannepercy

juliannepercy Well-Known Member

My boys are 28 months and we felt it was time to put them in toddler beds. We talked it up and they were excited. We are using the Gro Clock to show them they have to wait for the sun to get out of bed. The first two nights went wonderfully....didn't get up once and were excited to see the sun come up. Then at nap time today they went to town, taking all the clothes out of the drawers and messing around. Finally after much intervention they fell asleep. Tonight, same story. It's now 2.5 hours past their bedtime, they are still awake and have broken a drawer (by climbing in!). I didn't expect it to be a smooth transition, but it feels like a bit of a disaster. Of course they egg each other on and it makes it worse....getting up to no good together, climbing into each other's beds. We put a child lock on the inside door handle so they can't get out (they are not potty trained) but I feel like we're in for a long road. They have always been amazing sleepers so this is frustrating. I'm now regretting my decision to move them although I know they can't stay in cribs forever.

If anyone has any advice, things that worked (or didn't) PLEASE PLEASE share.

2. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I don't know that I can help a ton because all of my experiences in this are with my singleton. I have moved her into a room with just her bed in it. No dresser, nothing else. We also do the door knob cover on the inside so that she can't get out and there's also one on the closet so that she can't get in there. It doesn't help her fall asleep any faster but there's less clean up for me afterwards. Not a full solution but something to try. Good luck!

3. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Can you sit in there with them to redirect them back to bed when they get out?

Or, can you just put them back in their cribs?

My kids were all 3.5 and older when we transitioned to beds, and all 3 were the easiest transition ever...I think because they were old enough to understand the rules of bedtime. So, I am an advocate for staying in cribs as long as possible! ;)

Good luck, I know others have gone through similar things. :hug:

4. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We moved our girls at 18 months. Basically we took everything out of their room (including the light bulb) and let them go to town until they fell asleep. We'd move them into their beds from wherever they fell asleep just before we went to bed. I'd say it took a couple of weeks before they got the hang of it. Naps were actually less of an issue for us - they almost always went straight to sleep for their naps.

5. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I stayed with mine until they fell asleep after we transitioned out of cribs but I only stayed if they were calm and quiet. I would quietly redirect them to their beds or remind them to be quiet a few times but otherwise there would be no interaction. Mine like me to stay with them (just to know I am there), but I would leave if they started getting wild or loud - leaving them lead to floods of tears and a promise to stay in bed, which they kept if I came back. So I only had to follow through with this once or twice.

BTW: Staying with them did not create a difficult habit. We cut down the time little by little once they settled into their new sleeping situation. They still like us to stay for a few minutes until they are drowsy, but it's 5 minutes max these days.

6. SC

SC Well-Known Member

I haven't read the replies, so this may have already been said.

2 things: 1) remove everything from the room besides their beds and 2) the novelty will wear off.

We transitioned our boys in June and were dreading it. The first few nights were a bit long, but it's been smooth sailing ever since. We removed everything (rocker, floor bookshelf, dresser, floor lamp) from the room besides their beds (with rails) and bedding. I latched their closet doors so they cannot open them and their books are now stored on a wall-mounted rack that they cannot reach. Their white noise and nightlight are mounted on a shelf high out of reach and the cords run out the door at a high level and then are plugged in in the hallway. The only thing left in the room besides the beds are the curtains and they have since pulled one of the rods off of the wall, so no more curtain (this was an unusual incident and the other curtain and rod have remained fine).
    After they got used to their new setup and our new routine, we allowed them to keep some books on the floor and have their water bottles. We do not plan to move any furniture back in any time soon. I'm just too afraid a dresser would be tipped over or something (and it is much easier to remove the dresser from the room than to mount it to the wall and latch all of the drawers).

Overall, honestly, I prefer them in beds to cribs now. At bedtime, they like to put all of their pillows and blankets and stuffed animals on the floor. We cuddle up together and read books, have "chat time," and then it's lights out. They fall asleep cuddled up on the floor 99% of the time which is fine by me. DH and I move them in to their beds when we go to bed.
    Once the newness wore off and they adjusted to their freedom out of cribs, they've done great. We had a screen door mounted on their room when we brought them home as babies (to keep the cat out originally) which has been a wonderful alternative to a gate or having them free-roaming, which they are not nearly ready for. It latches from the outside and we can always see in and they can always see out. We still use a monitor.

I know it's stressful in the beginning, like any change, but it will get better probably sooner than later. Do yourself a favor and clear out and safety-proof the room. They won't be able to ruin anything and you won't have to worry about safety. Then, just let the newness wear off (we let them have some fun and explore their new freedom, but we didn't let things get too out of hand) and let them fall asleep where they fall asleep. I'm sure you'll have your good sleepers back soon.

PS. I should say that with DS1, while nights were great, naps went out the window with the transition. We're just now getting back on track because he is listening better, so is staying in bed when told to.