to cut or not to cut...I can't decide

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by MichelleL, May 7, 2009.

1. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Lauren has ridiculously thick hair...like thicker than most adults. I had it cut up to her shoulders in October and wasn't crazy about the cut, but it was very manageable. It's now 1/2 way down her back again. :huh: Since it is so thick and heavy, I know it will be very hot for her during the summer. Add to that the fact that she hates having her hair brushed. So I'm thinking I want to cut it. But I love it. But I should cut it. Help!! :help:

2. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I had such long and thick hair as a child that I developed serious headaches. When my hair was braided (in two b/c one was too thick) it went to my knees. We had to wrap them together so they wouldn't get caught in my Hot Wheels. I think I was 5 by the time my mom finally did more than a trim. She just loved my hair (and the attention it drew) too much. I say cut it and save your sweetie from getting headaches. :)

3. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

I hear you. My oldest has gorgeous hair and I HATE to cut it. I hate it so much that at 11.5 I still help her brush her hair because it's so thick and long! I had to give Kayci bangs too (which I was totally against) because there was just no other way to keep her hair out of her face for school! Dh gets her ready two or three days a week and can't handle the little ponytails to keep it up. So sad!! I didn't want to. But for practicality I will keep Kayci's bangs and I will let Megan get her hair cut for summer. *sigh* The things we mommies do for our girls....

4. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I would cut it for the summer. That way its cooler for her and easier for you to take care of when you go to stuff.

5. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm no help, because while I love the shorter cuts on the little girls...I can't bring myself to cut Meggie's. She just had her first haircut just before turning 4. Her hair is not as thick though, so in Lauren's case, I would probably trim it a bit for the summer to keep her cool.

6. MichelleL

Here's a recent pic, she's on the left. And she's looking down, so it's longer than it looks in this pic.
    View attachment 5503

Isn't that nuts? I know people that would love to have her hair.

7. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

Oh wow, it is so cute!! I would trim it a little but not much!

8. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I would say to cut it a bit but not cut it all off. :blush: But that's coming from the woman that can't bring herself to cut her own daughters hair because I just love long hair. There will be alot of ponytails around here this summer. :good: Does she like getting her hair cut? Like her bangs? I know Angie doesn't want her hair cut and if she doesn't let me brush it, I tell her I'm going to cut it and she sits perfectly still. ;)

9. MeldieB

MeldieB Well-Known Member

Oh, I love long hair on little girls!!! I didn't cut my twins' hair until they were 3 1/2. And that's the only time it's ever been cut. It's down to the middle of their backs. I just braid it most days to keep it out of their faces and off their necks. Barrettes in front keep the hair out of their eyes. They don't mind, and they actually love their hair.

10. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

I would probably cut it for the summer, because you know it will grow out again beautifully!

My older one has a ton of hair, too, but hers is curly and bushy, and if I cut it short, it just looks BIG. So, I'm actually trying to let it grow, so that it will weigh down a bit. But she gets a headache if I put pigtails in, doesn't like barrettes, etc. The only thing I can do is put it back in a headband. So, she's just going to have to sweat this summer...

11. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

Bea's hair just looks kind of scraggly as it gets longer, so I keep it in a chin-length bob. It's long enough to where she is readily identified as a girl, but not too long to be hard to maintain. I had very short hair for a while as a little girl, and I hated being mistaken for a boy, so I'll never go too short with it. I don't know how those of you with long-haired girls deal!

12. Mum2TwinBoys

Mum2TwinBoys Well-Known Member

I would cut it, it will grow back and be just as beautiful as it is now. You will still be able to pull it back and it won't be as difficult to brush and take care of.

13. swp0525

swp0525 Well-Known Member

I say cut it. I think she would be ADORABLE :wub: with a cute little bob for the summer!

14. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

her hair is GORGEOUS!!! Abby's hair just grows outward not downward so I keep hers in a bob all the time...

15. shoudeshell

shoudeshell Well-Known Member

I'm wondering that too with Rachel, Michelle. So, honestly since it's hard to comb/brush I'd go ahead and get it cut a bit. I'd make sure to keep it long enough for a ponytail, but not as long as it is now. You could put some light layers in the back, too, so that it has some more shape. I have a friend whose daughter had long hair but when they would trim it the hairstylist would lightly layer it in the back, and it was so cute! GL with what you decide!

16. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Michelle I'm debating the same thing with Ana right now. Meara's hair is also getting long, but its thin. Ana's is thick and heavy and she gets so sweaty sometimes. I think I'm going to just trim it though and then put it up in pig tails or pony tails all summer. GL with your decision. Maybe take her to the salon and have your hair dresser give you some advice.

17. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

I say cut it too. It will grow out again so fast and she will have cool hair for the summer months. :) They are so adorable Michelle. :wub:

18. MichelleL

We have an appt. with my hairdresser on Weds. My hairdresser agrees it should be cut, she has seen her hair and knows how bad it is as far as thickness. Leighann, she is the same way with the sweatiness. When we had that heat recently, her neck was so hot and sweaty.

My hairdresser said she kept her daughter's short until she started asking for ponytails. I like that. :good:

I'm still going to question myself between now and then, and even after I cut it. I too love long hair on little girls, but this much hair is just NOT practical for a 2.5 y.o. :laughing:

19. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(Snittens @ May 7 2009, 10:11 AM) [snapback]1304114[/snapback]
    I had very short hair for a while as a little girl, and I hated being mistaken for a boy, so I'll never go too short with it. I don't know how those of you with long-haired girls deal!

I had that issue when I was in grammar school, it's why I finally was allowed to get my ears pierced, so I wouldn't look so much like my brother!

And dealing with long hair, it's actually pretty easy. My daughter loves helping decide which hairdo we will do each day. Meghan's hair was down to her butt until January and is now a little more than halfway down her back.

20. MichelleL

Oh yeah, I forgot to address Kelly's statement too. I wasn't going to get it completely lopped off, I was thinking of doing a longish styled bob to her shoulders. :D

Maureen, you're lucky that Meghan has the texture she does, like Emma. It's easier!!

21. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Michelle, I was going to say cut it to where you can still partially pull it up for the summer!!! Looks like you have it all worked out!

Trish's Sofia as the thickest fastest growing hair I have seen and she sweats under it too!!

I keep Ali's wispy hair short because it turns into cotton candy and she was twirling it with her fingers, so I chopped it and I LOVE it, but I think her hair lends itself to a shorter cut like that!

22. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

QUOTE(2plustwinsmom @ May 7 2009, 12:26 PM) [snapback]1304336[/snapback]
    You could put some light layers in the back, too, so that it has some more shape. I have a friend whose daughter had long hair but when they would trim it the hairstylist would lightly layer it in the back, and it was so cute! GL with what you decide!

I was going to suggest this, too. Layers help keep hair from knotting as much, too, so it could help with the brushing. I know you are going to cut it shorter, but maybe keep this in mind if you decided to grow it back out.

Anna has hair down to the small of her back and LOVES it! She asks for a "tail" every day. I refuse to cut it because my mom always cut mine off when I was little and I wanted long hair so bad! I finally grew mine out when I was in high school and wore it to the small of my back until I was pregnant.

23. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

Michelle, Like Di mentioned Sofia has tons of hair. 90% of the time it's up in a ponytail and that is the way to keep her the coolest. I've always had it pretty long on her, but I did cut it to shoulder length around their birthday. If I were you I would cut it, but keep it long enough for a ponytail.

24. LoriK

LoriK Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm jealous, LOL! My almost 2 1/2 yos have no hair! I can barely put the little tiny pony tails in...they just have wispy barely past their ears hair.

But even with the jealousy, I say cut it! My 9 you hates brushing her hair (or having it brushed)...so in the summer when it becomes too much of a fight, we'll cut it. Your dd is 2 1/2...save the hair issues for a much later time, LOL!

Post pics of the after!

25. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

I think cutting it to the shoulder would be adorable! Can't wait to see a pic. :wub:

26. Juj

Juj Well-Known Member

QUOTE(NicoleT @ May 11 2009, 02:33 PM) [snapback]1308979[/snapback]
    I think cutting it to the shoulder would be adorable! Can't wait to see a pic. :wub:

I agree.

Would the hairdresser be able to thin it out a bit? That is what my SIL with super thick hair has done.

27. Jen620

Jen620 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ellie is 3 and I just cut hers for the first time because I was tired of the hair battles in the morning trying to brush it. Here's my new blog with before and after pictures. It lays so much better and there's not quite the fussing in the morning.

28. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Chelley, if you cut it to her shoulders it would be easier to manage, cooler for her & still able to reach into a ponytail if it gets really hot & you want to get it off her neck completely. And the ponytail wouldn't be quite as heavy if it were shorter. Plus, you know it's going to grow back out anyway & it will save you from always having to get it trimmed. I always cut Tess' hair off to her shoulders in the summer, then she doesn't really need any more major cuts (sometimes she gets no more cuts :blush: ) until the next summer. And she will look adorable!

29. MichelleL

I am nervous to do it, because her hair is so gorgeous, but ready for it. Tina, I think I'm going to do just what you said. :good:

I can't thank you for all your advice ladies!!

30. MichelleL

QUOTE(Jen620 @ May 11 2009, 03:06 PM) [snapback]1309043[/snapback]
    Ellie is 3 and I just cut hers for the first time because I was tired of the hair battles in the morning trying to brush it. Here's my new blog with before and after pictures. It lays so much better and there's not quite the fussing in the morning.

:shok: That was some lonnng hair!! Lauren's hair is about the length of Ellie's in her "after" picture. I have already had hers cut many times, or I'll bet it would have been as long as Ellie's "before" picture. Craziness, huh?

31. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

QUOTE(MichelleL @ May 11 2009, 09:07 PM) [snapback]1309561[/snapback]
    I am nervous to do it, because her hair is so gorgeous, but ready for it.

She's going to look beautiful no matter how long her hair is! :wub: I can't wait to see pictures!!

32. shoudeshell

shoudeshell Well-Known Member

Me, too, Michelle. I can't wait to see pics!

33. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

I was going to say cut it too. As much as I did not want to cut Seamus' hair last summer, I did because the first hot day, I could tell it was going to be a problem. It was also so nice to not have to have him hate to see me coming at him with a brush in the morning! Cant wait for pictures of your cutie pie!

34. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(MichelleL @ May 11 2009, 08:07 PM) [snapback]1309561[/snapback]
    I am nervous to do it, because her hair is so gorgeous, but ready for it. Tina, I think I'm going to do just what you said. :good:

I can't thank you for all your advice ladies!!

Do it! I cut Sofia's hair to about shoulder length a few months ago and it looked precious (you can see it in my FB profile). Of course it's grown out like you wouldn't believe and I'm probably going to cut it again soon.

35. MichelleL

QUOTE(FirstTimeMom814 @ May 11 2009, 10:51 PM) [snapback]1309737[/snapback]
    Do it! I cut Sofia's hair to about shoulder length a few months ago and it looked precious (you can see it in my FB profile). Of course it's grown out like you wouldn't believe and I'm probably going to cut it again soon.

That sounds like Lauren, grows like a weed! Mine is the same way. It's nice when you don't like your style because it will grow out so quickly. :good: