Tips/Tricks you have learned taking care of twins that make life a little easier?:)

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by amelowe9, Oct 26, 2008.

1. amelowe9

amelowe9 Well-Known Member

We all have a lot on our plates to juggle with two babies (or more!) and I was wondering what tips/tricks you've discovered that help make things a little bit more manageable?

Bottle propping is something that has helped me manage feedings better so they move more quickly and so both babies needs are being met....

2. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

You're lucky... Mine move so much during feedings that propping bottles or even feeding them at the same time never worked for us.

When they're older... Mine seem happier and less fussy if I let them play on their own and I'm not around. It's seriously light and day. If I'm reading next to them... they fuss. If I'm in another room... nothing. Out of sight out of mind I guess, but it's made things so much easier for me.

3. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

When your babies are still eating around the clock - consider taking shifts with DH so that you get a good amount of sleep each night. When he was off work DH and I split the night into 2 sections. One of us did all night feedings but then slept in til around noon. The other person slept all night but got up and took over at 6 am. We tried it with both of us getting up for every feeding but all that did was make us two crabby parents.

Also, Podee bottles are great for emergencies. My girls didn't prefer Podee bottles, but if they were both starving and there was only one person available to feed them or say if we were in the car then they did the trick.

4. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

My tip would be how to hold two at once (and comfort at the same time). :)

5. maurahursh

maurahursh Well-Known Member

When either of our boys was really out of sorts or just plain inconsolable a trip outside usually did the trick! We would just go out on the back deck and w/ in minutes they where back to being happy!

I also learned a nice walk in the stroller during the witching hour (anywhere between 5pm and 10pm) worked wonders. It helped mommy and babies ;)

6. bebedoc

bebedoc Well-Known Member

Milk maids and Podees have been lifesavers for us. White noise works wonders. Baths are good for more than just getting clean. Wubanubs are wonderful pacifiers and they do stay in their mouths! DH and I shared the nighttime feedings.....I took the 1st feed around 2am and he took the 2nd feed at 5am. Both of us were able to get 5-6 hours of uninterrupted sleep.

7. megan smith

megan smith Well-Known Member

In the early days I couldnt have made it through without an L shaped pillow(called boomerang pillows here but I doubt you do there) I would prop the two of them in there to feed them or have one in my arms and the other in the pillow. It cost me 15 dollars but it was invaluable!

8. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

When things get rough, put them in the stroller and go for a walk or get out of the house and go to Target. You will feel better and they will like a change of scenery.

9. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

I agree that a walk calms mine down but they dont always sleep in the pram. I usually time my walks before bath time so when we get back and they´re out-of-sorts, it´s bath, bottle then bed. Works a treat 98% of the time.

Saying that, I need someone with me, when I go out, as I live on the top floor of a building, in a flat, and the pram doesnt fit in the lift. Nightmare!

I also recommend music. DS got used to it at 3 weeks and it does have a calming effect on him.