tips for getting them to keep their clothes on

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by AimeeThomp, Dec 15, 2009.

1. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm pulling my hair out. :drown: My girls won't keep their clothes on. We've started potty training but when they aren't on the potty I'd like them to wear panties or a diaper. They can take both off, and do. I've tried "either keep panties on or sit on the time out bench" and that works until the next time they want to use the potty. Should I just keep doing this same thing over and over again? Eventually they put panties on b/c they want to be out of time out but it's mentally exhausting to be on them all day long. Should I just let them go naked and hope that eventually they are willing to wear clothes again? Any time they are unsupervised all the clothes come off. Help!

2. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

I always laugh and say Mattie is going to be a streaker! She loves to be naked. I would just do what you are doing over and over. I just tell Mattie that when she is at home (and we aren't expecting company :laughing: ) she doesn't have to wear pants OR a shirt (a choice here) BUT she MUST wear panties. That works for her. It isn't uncommon for someone to stop by and she is running through with a shirt and panties or pants and no top. I pick my battles.

3. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I finally just got Amelia to put panties on (nothing other than panties) in exchange for a Nilla wafer. I'm horrible about rewarding them for doing what they are supposed to do. Guess I'll keep doing the time out bench. It works, it's just that I wind up putting them in time out 10 - 15 times a day. I just don't think that panties are too much to ask, I don't want their bare bottoms on the cold floor. All I ask for is panties or a diaper, they can be naked other than that.

4. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

My boys went naked alot during potty training. It was just easier. But when we went out obviously they had to have clothes on. I just didnt fight it indoors. Now, we have no issues with clothes, just shoes :gah:

5. JessiePlus2

JessiePlus2 Well-Known Member

We're potty training too, and DD also prefers to run around naked. I've had success with giving her two pairs of panties and asking which one she wants to wear. When she gets to choose the pair, she leaves them on.

DS, whom I am not potty training, has seen DD without pants for the past week, and now refuses to wear clothes or a diaper. I did discover he will keep on a pullup though. So now he is wearing a pullup and nothing else most days.

So I don't really have much advice on pants and such. But picking out the panties is working magic with DD.

6. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

We aren't potty training yet, BUT...the last week or so I have been dealing with strippers in my house!! Cooper is worse about it. He has figured out how to get both pants and shirt off. On occassion it has been the diaper, but luckily he usually just gets down to the diaper and stops there. Yesterday both ran around all day long without shirts on. After 4 or 5 times of redressing them, I finally gave up. :headbang: It wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't so cold. In the heat of the summer, I would be fine with it (I think). I don't know how to keep them from doing this either.

As I type this, Cooper's clothes are laying in a heap in the kitchen while he runs around in nothing but a diaper. :blush: