Tips for getting 3 yr old to be more self sufficient?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Oneplus2more, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

Rachel (4 in June) wants me to do everything for her, and I mean everything. Take her shoes off, wipe her hands when she is done eating, dress her - she lies there like a rag doll!, the list goes on & on. It's things that I know she can do and has done in the past, or things she could be doing if she would even attempt to learn how (like dressing herself - she can do panties, pants, shoes and socks, does need more practice with shirts & coats - but will not even try) :rolleyes: I know it's all for my attention, but she will not do these things herself. I'm at a loss. How should I handle this?

2. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

My girls have been making a lot of progress. I don't know that I've done much but I do encourage them to do things themselves. Sometimes I wish they wouldn't try to do things themselves -- like take juice bottles out of the fridge and try to pour themselves a sticky beverage (into the cup retrieved by climbing up onto the counter)! On the other hand I was thrilled the other day when Melissa after getting her pants wet just went back to her room and changed them herself! Amazed actually.

I don't have much advice but here's one nifty trick Melissa is into that she learned at school that I thought I'd share. She places her coat in front of her, sticks her arms in the holes and flips it over her head to put it on. It's like a game. I still have to zip it but she gets it on herself.

Jade does it herself. She pretty much tries to do it all herself with little fanfare.

But, that said, maybe summer clothes will make it easier. Slip on shoes like Crocs also make it easier.

3. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

When Jon was doing that, we would make it a race--who can get done fast, or who can do whatever fastest--he is competetive by nature and that would work. Many times, it is simply, who can get dressed before Daddy, since Daddy is usually last :)

By making it a fun game, they are more likely to try.

4. MEARA

MEARA Well-Known Member

Maybe try this?

Break up your directions to her and then give her only two choices so she feels stuck with one: "Would you like to put your shoes on or your socks?" I read that in the parenting magazine and its been working for me..

5. BRMommy

BRMommy Well-Known Member

How about a reward sticker or snack everytime she can dress herself completely. After a while, it'll become a habit and she would be able to do it without a reward.