Throwing lovey out of crib

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by twinkler, Oct 29, 2012.

1. twinkler

twinkler Well-Known Member

Sierra has become very attached to a mini pillow pet which she now needs to sleep with. The only thing is as soon as you put her in the crib, she grabs it and throws it out. If you pick it up and put it back in, she'll throw it back out. This could go on and on if I let it so I've been taking it away but then she will not sleep, she will stay awake for over an hour and a half until I put it back in. The other day, she woke up at 5.20am, threw it out and then proceeded to whinge until I went in at the normal time of 6.45 with their milk. I just knew that as soon as I went in and gave it her she would throw it back out. One night last week, I even took it out of her bedroom altogether and she fell asleep fairly quickly without it and even slept fine the morning nap without it but the afternoon nap was a disaster with her whingeing the whole time with not an ounce of sleep (which is very unlike her).

I am in a bit of a catch-22 - either I can give it to her and play this game (right now I am waiting 15 mins after putting to bed and then picking it up giving to her) or I take it away altogether and put up with a few days (week?) of her readjusting to sleeping without it and feeling guilty that I took away her sleeping buddy :(.

What would you do? Any suggestions, advice would be much appreciated!

PS - this has been going on for about 3 weeks now!

2. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

Just brainstorming. Could you tie it very securely and tightly (no extra string) to the bars for the crib? compromise. she can have it with her but can't throw it out? Maybe that would just make her mad, or maybe she would curl up next to it.

If that didn't work I think I would either not pick it up at all or once it hit the floor i would take it out of the room. I don't know, at her age would she get that as a consequence?

Oh, the dramas of childhood! GL

3. twinkler

twinkler Well-Known Member

Hmm all excellent suggestions, thank you! I don't know about the tying, I think she would get frustrated with it - she kind of sleeps with it over her head. She has another cushion in there now - I've taken everything else bar the ones attached to her crib, out. I've tried not picking it up, that's when she will just whinge and not go to sleep at all. So I'm now just taking it out of the room when she throws it and then going back in after 10-15 mins and giving it to her then - I'd been putting her down a little earlier anyway as I need to spend time settling Liara so it makes no difference to her start of nap. I'm not sure she is quite getting the consequence yet so that's where I'm thinking, I'm going to be doing this for a while :(

4. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would tie it to the side as well, keep it short (think pacifier clip length). Otherwise, take it away completely. But I don't think I'd be happy doing that either, all my kids have particular lovies that they need to get to sleep.

5. ward

ward Well-Known Member

Well i think taking it away for the small amount of time you do is a HUGE punishment to her. I think the question is does she whine when you take it away? If she is during the time you have her lovie i wouldn't give it to her. She will eventually fall asleep. Our girls don't have any lovies but they do have some blankets but they usually don't throw those out of the crib our problem right now is they litterally will talk for two hours to one another after being put in their room for their nap which is causing their nap to be later than normal. Ugh!!! LOVE TWINS. LOL good luck and let us all know what you end up doing and how it works out.

6. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

If she is playing a game, I don't think it is a 'need.' I would give one chance, perhaps explain that you will take it away if she does it again and then if she throws it take it away. You might have a bad night, or two... but in the long run, I think bedtime would go a lot easier. I know it is easier said than done... but you stated already that it is a game. IF you are ok with it, great... but it sounds like you don't want to play this game (I don't blame you) so put a stop to it. Don't feel guilty. If she wants it she would hold on to it. It is a possession. Nothing more.