Three year olds not listening, HELP!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ladybug101ca, Aug 9, 2012.

1. ladybug101ca

ladybug101ca Member

Hello everyone,
    I need help. Our three year olds are not listening. Any time you tell them to do something they, 90%, tell us no or just grunt and kick their legs. This goes for going potty, even though they've been fully trained for a year, or going to bed, last night was up till 11 pm trying to get them to go to bed. The one girl screams and kicks and no matter what doesn't stop. The other just smirks and does not listen. I'm at the end of my rope. I've tried taking toys away, yelling, being nice, talking calmly or being stern. Nothing is working. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: Momma! 3 was a tough age for us in this house (4 has been a breeze!!!). One of the things I've found, is whatever technique I've used for discipline is being consistent with it, no matter how hard they fought me on it. It eventually does sink in. Maybe you can make a chart for them of the things they are supposed to do through out the day and when they complete those tasks they get a sticker to put on it. You could have them put stickers for each time they go potty without a fuss. A sticker would go on it when they go to bed without a fuss and at the time that you specify. And they can put a sticker on the chart for any other tasks they have to complete through out the day (cleaning up toys, reading books, eating, getting dressed).

Sometimes it is a lot of trial and error until you find something that is going to make it sink in with them. I don't say this to my kids all the time, but for example, if they tell me no they don't want to go to bed and it's 8:00 and that's the time we go to bed, I respond with, "You say, okay Mommy, because this is the time we go to bed."