Those Who Use(d) Enfamil TriViSol With Iron...

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by serranoboys, Feb 25, 2008.

1. serranoboys

serranoboys Well-Known Member

1. Is there any other brand of this sort of supplement that does not taste so awful? My boys gag and cry every time I give it to them.

2. Did you notice any changes in terms of weight, activity level, diaper contents, etc.

Thanks!

2. Jayn

Jayn Well-Known Member

I have the Poly visol from the nicu and my babies spit up everytime I gave it, so I stopped. (I gave in a bottle with about 1oz ebm). I figured it didn't make sense for them to spit up that plus part of a feeding to get nutrients that ended up never making it down :) I've thought about trying again. . . . but haven't. We use the same ones where I work and even the babies with OG/NG feeding tubes make faces when you put it down the tube! I'm with you that there need to be some better tasting ones!

3. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

We were giving it to DS for a while, and he HATED it! I don't think there's a brand that tastes decent, unfortunately. GL... :hug99:

4. RachelJoy

RachelJoy Well-Known Member

Mine were on it up until last week, upon turning 3. They loved it! (It made me gag if I ever sniffed it though). The Dr. was surprised at their 1 year appt. that they were still taking it happily, so suggested we keep giving it. Same at the 2 year. finally at the 3 year appt. she decided to take them off. Now they get a chewable fluoride tablet that tastes like candy. And guess what? Clarissa hates it and keeps saying she wants her old vitamins back.

I know, not helpful to you, but amusing . . .

Rachel

5. debid

debid Well-Known Member

1) We used an OTC (Polyvisol w/iron) drop since we're on city water. There really aren't many options and they all smell nasty.

2) No difference noticed but Trent's iron was borderline low/normal and Trevor's was normal so it wasn't like they were anemic when we started.

I separated vitamins from food entirely and gave them in the bath with a chaser cup of water. They didn't like them at first but the switch in location actually seemed to help. They weren't expecting it to taste good. Also, I'd wipe their teeth immediately with a wet cloth because the iron stains their teeth gray after a while if you don't. Oh, how excited I was when they could switch to a chewable! They LOVE their vitamins now.

6. mandyfish3

mandyfish3 Well-Known Member

We quit using it for that same reason (although we were using Poly visol one...)

They now get their fluoride vitamins in applesauce and have been that way since about 6 months.