This is getting seriously unpleasant!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by agolden, Nov 11, 2008.

1. agolden

agolden Well-Known Member

We used to have a wake-up time of 6:00 which was fine with me. Well, fine might be overstating it but I was willing to go with it. Then Daylight Savings happened and it got earlier and I figured OK, I'll go with it, they'll adjust. So they've adjusted everything except their wake-up time! So now they are getting an hour or two less of sleep every day. They go to bed at 7:00. Last night it was 6:20 because they were so miserable but they woke up at 5:00 (or Ezra did).

So, here's the real question. For those of you with "official wake up times" ("I don't go into him until x o'clock"), do you let your babe really cry or if they were really crying, would you adjust your wake-up time. I can't bear my day starting at 5:00 but I also don't know if it's good for him to carry on so. Now Ezra is very dramatic and he'll cry at that kind of pitch if I'm reading to Elias and I don't change mid-book to read the book that Ezra wants or pick him up right away, etc. He's got no "soft whimper".

Do I just suck it up and start my day at 5:00? By the way, I'm now going to bed earlier and earlier too because I'm so tired. My lights are out at 9:00 every night which sucks but I do get enough sleep so it's not that. I'm just not making the adjustment and it feels like a very very long day (and it feels like the middle of the night when I get up)

What do you guys think?

2. Boni

Boni Well-Known Member

I know just how you feel, my own day has just adjusted to whatever time they wake up. I am a sucker for a crying baby and can't do the CIO thing. But i always just sight and say" this too, ;) ;) will pass". because my teenagers needs an explosion to wake them up. ;)

3. Poohbear05

Poohbear05 Well-Known Member

Ours took a couple of days, but they adjusted. They ended up going to bed at like 6:30 for a couple of days cuz they were so miserably tired, but then they slept in and we actually had to wake them up to go to daycare. A couple days of that and they are back to going to bed at 7:30 and waking up between 5:30 and 6. My day starts out at 5 a.m. regardless, if not I don't get out the door to work on time.

4. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

I let Lily cry until 7am. Sometimes she plays or just sort of whines. If she really gets going I will try to block it out but I usually give in after a bit. I will say though, I do let her cry. I just don't let her freak out. Her brother does not want to get up until 7:30 and they were both sleeping until 7:30 pre-DST. She is getting up at 6:30 but by letting her cry or fuss a bit I am trying to get her back where they were. She is used to it by now and knows I am not coming right in!

5. Jhstobe@earthlink.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

We are having the same problem here, waking up an hour early. Thankfully it is not as early as you but I want my extra hour of sleep. LOL I am curious to see how others are handling it.