This is a legitimate question

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Rollergiraffe, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Do five year olds ever stop talking?

2. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

No.
    Neither do 6 year olds.

My ears are tired.

3. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

You forgot to warn me that four year olds don't stop, either.

4. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

7 year olds don't either. A child-less friend was just over and I could see her eyes starting to glaze as my 7 year told her in excruciating detail how school was today.  Ha!  

5. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Neither do 6.5 year olds AND 10 year olds!

6. Rollergiraffe

Seriously.. it makes my brain tired. More than anything, that incessant chatter and deciding what to listen to and not.. wears me right out!

1 person likes this.
  7. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

OMG Anthony is NONNNNNNSTOPPPPPPP! And he is in speech, missing teeth, he's so.hard.to.understand!!

8. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:laughing: And the *double* talk right now. Sometimes I feel like my brain is going to explode from input overload.

Also, when do they breathe?

9. Rollergiraffe

YES. They had a friend over the other day and all three of them were just screaming at each other the entire time trying to be the one who gets heard. I don't know how they don't lose their voice.

10. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I really do get over stimulated by the constant chatter sometimes and just have to tell everyone to hush for 5 minutes. I also go hide sometimes. (They usually find me.)

Reagan asked me one day, "Momma, why am I a chatterbox?" She knows she's a talker!

11. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am so glad I am not alone in this.  It takes everything I have not to yell, "SHUT UP!"  I don't know how they are so quiet in school, I guess they make up for it when they get home because seriously the two of them never stop.  If they have a thought, they have to express it.

12. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

Hey I've been listening to it for 9 years now!  Well, by "listening" I mean "selectively ignoring"....

1 person likes this.
  13. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

You know it's a great point, I know you're supposed to listen to your kids when they talk to you about their problems etc but MAN sometimes it's just not easy. I don't want them growing up thinking I don't care about what they are saying but gosh...

14. Rollergiraffe

I do listen to them, but I think they also need to be taught conversational rules and the right way to get attention. So we're reinforcing turns, watching whether someone's busy, polite interrupting etc, but it's NON STOP ALL THE TIME. I have also been trying to take whatever opportunity I have to talk to them individually so they're not trying to talk over their brother all the time. But seriously.. brain tireds.

2 people like this.
  15. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

No. They have so much to say that their non-stop talking continues on when they are 8 years old.

16. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Omg guys. Over stimulating for me for sure. Times three.

I'm exhausted.

17. TP

TP Well-Known Member

Its good to know that I am not the only mom who has to resort to selective listening. :)

18. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

Hah.
    One of mine never stops.
    The other is often quiet when his brother is around but when he's alone with either of us, he's quite chatty.