This has probably been asking before about hitting

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by kingeomer, Mar 7, 2009.

1. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My DD is merciless on her brother. I don't think she is doing it to be mean but she will hit him on the head with a toy and look around laughing as she does it repeatedly. We've told her to stop, put her in quiet time, explained why she shouldn't do that. I'm not sure if there is anything else we could be doing to discourage this behavior. I think she thinks she's being a comedian or something.

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't think there is anything you can really do right now other than tell her no a million times. Mine like to hit each other on the head but both of them think it's funny - even the one who is being hit. :huh:

3. kingeomer

QUOTE(aimeethomp @ Mar 7 2009, 09:21 AM) [snapback]1217967[/snapback]
    I don't think there is anything you can really do right now other than tell her no a million times. Mine like to hit each other on the head but both of them think it's funny - even the one who is being hit. :huh:

It's crazy because sometimes Luke will think it's the funniest thing in the world and others he is screaming (and rightfully so). Thanks for the advice!

4. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

M is my hitter and S is a drama queen, you can see where this is going, M hits everyone, even me. I just tell her no we dont hit, it hurts and then I either leave or remove S (depending on who she hit) or if its at a meal I spin around her highchair for a minute. She's vicious!

Good luck! I have not found anything that works yet, let me know if you do.

5. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

It's cause and effect. They are learning everything from scratch. So, she probably got a laugh at some point for it from him and now she's just going for that again. I would take the item away and say "we don't hit" - you can put her away from the action for a min. and then put her down. I used to use the feeding seat and strap them in and set the timer. But that was closer to 2. It's a normal part of their development, a frustrating part!

6. kingeomer

Thanks ladies! I am going to try some of those ideas and see how we do.

7. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Oh yes, we went through a nasty hitting and biting phase at abou 15-18 months. It does get better once they can communicate with you and each other. We started putting them in the PNP for one minute at about 18 months old just to remove them from the situation as Diane said. Then at about 2 we started using 1-2-3 Magic for discipline.