This bothers me...

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by kingeomer, Jul 23, 2008.

1. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Okay, so I was talking to my Mom today and she asks me:
    Does Sophia have any (emphasis on the any) teeth yet? I reply no (and want to add, I cannot make the child grow teeth overnight) and her response is, "Wow." I constantly have to remind her that babies teeth anywhere from 4-12 months, so please do not compare Sophia to other babies you know!
    Then she asks, are either of them crawling? Again I reply no. Her response is a soft, "oh." I know I am making a mountain out of a molehill here, but I just wish my family would not rush these kids into milestones, to me they seem on track but then I feel like, "Oh no, maybe they are not!"

I know I should not be annoyed about this and it really it is all minor, but I am still annoyed!

Thanks for letting me vent!

2. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

ITA! Its bad enough we have 2 babies of our own to compare without having to compare them to everyone else's babies!! I get these milestone questions all the time because people cannot grasp the adjusted age and actual age...they were 3 months premature, of course they are not doing what a "normal" 9 month is doing!!

3. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I feel your pain! Friends of ours has a little girl 10 days older than the ladies. When she started pulling up and cruising at 6 months old, EVERYONE started comparing our girls to her. Even though I knew that 6 months was SUPER early to stand up and cruise, M could barely sit and A couldn't at all (again totally normal!). Well it all evens out in the end because at the ladies' first b-day party they were walking everywhere and our friend's DD was still cruising and crawling.

Your kiddos will get teeth eventually... tell you mom that it makes you feel bad when she starts comparing even though you know that every baby is different. :hug99:

4. AimeeS

AimeeS Well-Known Member

don't worry at all - my neighbor has a 13 mos old - like mine - and has no teeth still - totally individual thing. nothing to judge about - don't worry at all!!!! :)

5. kingeomer

QUOTE(Leighann @ Jul 23 2008, 10:47 AM) [snapback]891279[/snapback]
    I feel your pain! Friends of ours has a little girl 10 days older than the ladies. When she started pulling up and cruising at 6 months old, EVERYONE started comparing our girls to her. Even though I knew that 6 months was SUPER early to stand up and cruise, M could barely sit and A couldn't at all (again totally normal!). Well it all evens out in the end because at the ladies' first b-day party they were walking everywhere and our friend's DD was still cruising and crawling.

Your kiddos will get teeth eventually... tell you mom that it makes you feel bad when she starts comparing even though you know that every baby is different. :hug99:

Thank you Leighann and Krystyn! I know Mom is harmless and she means well, it's just hard to know that your babies are being compared!

6. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

i heard that the longer the teeth take to come out, the stronger they will be :) that's what my mom told me she heard, anyway. of course, i don't know if it's true, but...

7. *Sully*

*Sully* Well-Known Member

Did you teeth early? That might be why she is surprised. Both DH and I were early teethers and my older brother was born with two teeth. So it was on both of our sides. As for the crawling :rolleyes: There is a little girl at daycare that started crawling some time ago and her mom makes such a big deal about it, but she doesn't have any verbal development. Mine aren't crawling, but they've got all kinds of language flying out of their mouths (even though we don't understand 95% of it). Different babies do different things at different rates. We also influence them some (not teeth). We are talkers and we are sedentary-type people. I think this has an impact on our babies. JMO. Tell your mom to ask about what they've been up to lately instead of asking about specific milestones. I'm sure you have cute stories to share!

8. kingeomer

Thank you also Kerry, Danielle and Aimee! I will have to remember that about the strong teeth and I will have to ask if I teethed early. I don't know about DH since his parents are deceased and he does not know either. DH and I, especially me, are talkers. We talk to the babies all the time which is why I think ours so verbal in their own way!

I feel so much better hearing from all of you TS-er's, thanks so much!

9. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Just try to ignore. I think grandparents just look forward to new things and cant grasp that it happens in due time. Sorry you are feeling bad.

10. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

I'm sorry about this :hug99: . People will compare from time to time and it aggravates me too. I totally understand. It always sounds like they're doing great!

11. Saramcc

Saramcc Well-Known Member

you know that would probably bother me only because I would interpret that differently I think. Knowing me I would interpret that as, "they aren't crawling or teething well then that's all I really care about at the moment"

I would think they only care about the big milestones, not if they make babbling noises or how they interact with eachother. To me all that is important to know.

12. jec34e

jec34e Well-Known Member

I didn't get teeth until almost 12 mos so I don't think your babies are behind. And I was a full term baby and totally fine. I'd try to dismiss her comments and not worry. Your babies are doing great!

13. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Try to just let it go in one ear and out the other. My boys are 6.5 months old and don't have teeth and definitely aren't crawling yet! My older DS didn't crawl until he was 10 months old - and then he walked before his first b-day. Heck, he didn't even roll over from back to belly until he learned to crawl. And my ped just told us at my boys 6-month appt. that his son didn't get his first tooth until he was 15 months old! So, there is a huge range of normal - and honestly, 6 months seems really, really early for any of those milestones!

14. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

It would bother me too. Every child is different and does things at different times.

Dianna

15. Mum2TwinBoys

Mum2TwinBoys Well-Known Member

You need to vent and get it out! You are correct, all babies grow at different rates and reach milestones at different times. Thank God for differences, how boring would life be if we knew when our children would start reaching milestones.

16. caba

caba Banned

I always tell my mom that she had kids A LONG time ago (my younger brother is 31) so she probably doesn't remember exactly when we STTN, got teeth, crawled, etc. My DS got his first tooth at 5 months and DD not until 8 months. Jake literally now has a full mouth of teeth. It's crazy. Hailey has four on the top and bottom, and the molars are just starting to come in. Jake has 'em all. It's just different for every kid. Jake rolled later than everyone else's kid. All my friends had babies within like 1 month of me, and EVERYONE elses kids rolled first. And crawling at 6 months? Hailey started at 9, and Jake 10.5 ...

You are fine ... and normal. Can you just be honest with your mom and say "Hey, as a mom of young twins, I have plenty to worry about. You stress me with comments like that. They will get there when they get there. Let's leave it at that!"?

Hugs!

17. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

Just think of all the time and money you are saving by not having to brush teeth or use toothpaste?

OK, maybe that was not such a good example, but it's hard for everyone not to compare, sometimes. And it's harder for someone who is so excited about your children. But I also know it's not easy dealing with it. :hug99:

18. kma13

kma13 Well-Known Member

DS got teeth at 15 mos and crawled at 10mos.... it sounds like your babies are right on track (if there is such a thing in this crazy baby world ;) )

It still drives me crazy when people compare kids!

19. mnellson

mnellson Well-Known Member

I think I would make a joke to get my point across.Next time she asks, I would say something like "Geez, she doesn't have any teeth yet, and I'm started to get worried! Do you think she'll go off to college without teeth? Hopefuly she'll be crawling by then so she doesn't look so funny rolling around, toothless!". ;)

20. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Mel G @ Jul 23 2008, 08:04 PM) [snapback]892849[/snapback]
    I think I would make a joke to get my point across.Next time she asks, I would say something like "Geez, she doesn't have any teeth yet, and I'm started to get worried! Do you think she'll go off to college without teeth? Hopefuly she'll be crawling by then so she doesn't look so funny rolling around, toothless!". ;)

OHHHH now that is funnnn-NY!!!

Nancy, I totally understand where you are at, family is doing the same thing with us...totally irritating!
    And now especially since Chloe has ONE big bottom tooth & poor poor toothless Sydney....
    Ignore the comments as best you can & your babies will get their teeth when they are good & ready!
    :)

21. twinmuffin

twinmuffin Well-Known Member

I don't know what it is with grandparents. My mom was all freaked out when my son wasn't walking on his first birthday. I thought nothing of it, and a week later he was walking. Now my mom keeps asking me if the girls are sitting up yet. No, not on their own. I know inside she is freaking about this. I keep telling her they are on track for all developmental milestones (I told her the same thing for my son), adn for some reason they have it in their head when babies should do what. Oh well, I'm sure your kids are doing great. Don't worry about the grandparents. They also won't leave me alone about the solids. I barely give the girls any, because they just aren't ready, but oh my, that is just unheard of, to have 6 month old babies that don't eat. Ugh.

22. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Mel G @ Jul 23 2008, 11:04 PM) [snapback]892849[/snapback]

:rotflmbo:

23. EricaG

EricaG Well-Known Member

Oh I hear ya! Stuff like this bothers me too. My boys are 11 1/2 months old and P has one tooth just starting to come in on top. My in-laws see the boys probably 2or3 times a month but we talk to them on the phone all the time and they always ask so what's new with them what can they do now. Its like I have to think of every little thing they might have done or elese it sounds like they aren't "doing" enough...................sorry to vent

Erica

24. kj427

kj427 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(itsnancycozzi @ Jul 23 2008, 10:43 AM) [snapback]891266[/snapback]
    Okay, so I was talking to my Mom today and she asks me:
    Does Sophia have any (emphasis on the any) teeth yet? I reply no (and want to add, I cannot make the child grow teeth overnight) and her response is, "Wow." I constantly have to remind her that babies teeth anywhere from 4-12 months, so please do not compare Sophia to other babies you know!
    Then she asks, are either of them crawling? Again I reply no. Her response is a soft, "oh." I know I am making a mountain out of a molehill here, but I just wish my family would not rush these kids into milestones, to me they seem on track but then I feel like, "Oh no, maybe they are not!"

I know I should not be annoyed about this and it really it is all minor, but I am still annoyed!

Thanks for letting me vent!

If it makes you feel any better, my older two didn't get their first tooth until 11 months and 10 months. Every baby is so different in how they develop. Hopefully you can try to ignore stupid comments.