Thinking about changing doctors...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by TrishaLinn, Mar 24, 2011.

1. TrishaLinn

TrishaLinn Well-Known Member

So, I've been really happy with the doctors at the practice I've been going to. They've been very pro-active in treating my hyper-emesis and with my contractions I've been having. They're very kind, but..... they don't seem to be as VBAC friendly as I'd hope for especially with having twins. Several of the doctors have basically said that it might be best for me to just schedule a c-section since I'll have to have one anyway if both babies aren't head-down and if baby B flips they'll require me to have c-section after delivering baby A.

Anyhow, I heard of another doctors who is very pro-natural childbirth and pro-vbac. I went and had a consult with her today. She said is indeed, very pro-vbac even with having twins. She only requires baby A to be head down and said that she will deliver baby B breech or she will worry about manipulating Baby B into a better position for delivery after baby A is born. She talked some about how she really wants me to get to at least 32 weeks because the babies are stronger and more able to tolerate a vaginal birth at that time. She said that, I am at a higher risk of having to have a c-section because of the twins but she thinks I'm an excellent candidate for a VBAC with these babies and she would do whatever she could while keeping my babies and I safe to help me have a VBAC.

It's a hard decision to make, to change doctors, this far through when I've had some great doctors who have helped me through what's already been a pretty rough pregnancy. Thoughts? Advice? Opinions?

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Are you interested in a VBAC? Do you think this new doc will be responsive about your hypermesis and other issues as they come up? I think I'd switch if both answers were yes. It's not personal, it's how they treat your body and if you find someone you like better that's a good thing in my book.

3. TrishaLinn

Yes, I really want a VBAC. I had a C-section with DS1 and a VBAC with DS2 and the difference in recovery was amazing. Not to mention, I think its better for the babies too. My hyper-emesis is pretty well under control with a few medications now. I forgot to ask if she'll continue to prescribe me the medications as I need them. Argh! Of course I'd forget something.

4. milaa

milaa Member

Hi,

I had a really stressful pregnancy (had TTTS, PTL), and my practice and the MFM were really wonderful. I also want to deliver them vaginally, but baby B is breach and my Dr. said I need to go to C-Sec unless they're both head down. The same Dr delivered my daughter vaginally two years ago.

I tried to change about a month ago, but I'm too far along and the new doctor didn't even saw me. To be honest, I think they're really taking good care of me. If that wasn't the case, I would do something, but for now, I'm just accepting the C-sec.

Go with your heart, that's the best advice. If you want to switch and you trust the new Dr with the issues you're having, go for it. If not... it won't be the end of the world. For me, I just want to have two healthy babies and a healthy momma. :)

Good luck!

5. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

If it were me, I would switch. But I am very pro-vaginal birth and it is certainly possible with twins! Even if the second is breech, there's really no reason the baby can't be turned or delivered breech. My baby B was transverse and once baby A was out, he had plenty of room to move into the right position.

I actually just went to my 8 week appt this week and mentioned my twins were born vaginally and the woman looked at me like I grew another head. She actually asked me how that was possible and why they didn't do a c-section. I simply said "there was no reason to do a c-section."

6. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i would also switch but i'm someone else who feels very strongly about vaginal birth. also, hindsight for me, i should have switched OBs & i didn't & the last bit of my pregnancy was very stressful because of it. i did have an unmedicated vag birth with both girls, but i spent a lot of time arguing with my OB about everything from IVs to number of support people allowed in the room to not having an epi. i should have been able to save that energy for labour.

if a VBAC is very important to you, the number one way to increase your chances of success is to have a care provider who is fully supportive of VBAC.

7. TrishaLinn

Thanks for the input! I think I knew what I should do (change doctors), but it's good to have a bit of encouragement. Like I said, the practice I've been going to is SO rigid on their stance that they will only deliver the babies vaginally if both babies are head down and stay that way. I appreciated that this new doctor seems to be such an advocate of twin-vbacs. She also said that if it were not hospital policy, she would let me have the babies in the labor and delivery room as opposed to the operating room. Apparently because I've had one C-section I MUST deliver in the operating room (the hospital recommends it for all twins, but she does not make twin mom's deliver in the operating room if they haven't had a c-section).

I guess now baby A needs to get in the right position, he seems to like being breech lately! Any recommendations on getting him to spin around!

8. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

9. MistyP

MistyP Well-Known Member

I would switch. When I went into the hospital I was 7 cm. (36.2 weeks) Baby A was vertex but posterior(had been for a long time). Baby B was actually transverse. She had been flipping from breech to transverse several times. Baby A was born no problem. The OB was going to reach in and grab her feet and deliver her breech but she flipped down and was born head first 3 minutes after her brother. Just about any other OB in the hospital would not have wanted to do a vaginal delivery on me because they were not both breech. I had a totally natural delivery; 2 hr labor, no pain meds, and we all came home the next day.